Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #21

Just a little public recognition for Mr. Page, who fixed me up better then I could have hoped with a Husky Centerline Hitch.

I thought I'd post back about that,
and something I saw today on the way over to Mobile, Al. We passed five or six gypsies en-route to somewhere. The guy bringing up the rear, was being passed by two semis, right as we were approaching. It was a half ton PU, and not an overly large trailer. Maybe 24 foot.
The trailer was nose down. PU was down in the rear. No WDH/Sway control, just hooked to the hitch. The trailer was waggling considerably when we went by. I'm sure the driver was not enjoying the trip. I've towed enough trailers to know he was seeing way more trailer in his mirrors then I would want to see.
The leader of this group, was set up in a similar fashion, but with a WDH/sway control. Tracking like an arrow down the road.

Thanks again to gspage53, and the rest of those who chimed in to tell me not think twice, just to do it.
Now I'm in a typical waiting pattern, hopeful that all of the employees building V-Lites, are "Happy, Happy, Happy!!!", and their getting gold stars and "atta boys", for their quality.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Hey Gordon, how are your travels?
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #23

Yeah, the owners manual should tell you exactly how much you can tow without a WDH. I know the Ford Towing Guides specify a WDH for anything over 500 lbs TW. WDH is a no-brainer. It's required in this situation. Sway control is up to you. But with the integrated systems working so well (Equal-i-zer or Dual-Cam setups), the slight cost difference over a WD-only system is practically a given these days.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
Hey Gordon, how are your travels?
We haven't gone far yet, Stan. Still waiting on the trailer. I picked up the lighter weight sway bars for the hitch though, so when it arrives we should be ready. I missed this post the other day. Did you see the link I left you in your PM's?

Brakeman, Since I first posted this, I've had a great opportunity to view two almost identical TV's and TT's running the same speed, one with a WDH, and one W/O. The difference was very noticeable. We were following a couple of semi's, that gave the one without, who was bringing up the rear, a chance to practice is anti sway technique. The one W/O was at the back of the line, and the one with was leading, and I can guarantee you the one W/O, was holding the rest up.
I have the Roadmaster active suspension on the back of my truck, and it brings my tongue weight up. Even at that, I'll be much happier with the anti sway as well.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
2014 XLR 27HFS

I had a weight distribution hitch on my first truck & camper and even with it, was white knuckling when going downhill and had a semi fly past. This second time around I went for the WDH with integrated anti-sway. WAY better even with less truck. Now I just feel a little bump when their air dam crosses my hitch.

Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66074

Tags
fan, hitch, sway, weight