Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

Do I need a fancy weight distribution(anti sway setup)hitch?

The truck, is a 2010 F150 Supercrew, with the tow package, and a trailer weight limit of 9600#. The tow package, has the tranny cooler, all the brake stuff, electronic anti sway control, and all the bells and whistles that come with it.
In addition, I have the Roadmaster Active Suspension on the rear springs. This is a great setup, that works well, and I have used on two other vehicles before this, to take the wallow out of the stock suspension.
I've towed a 7000# boat, with a cat hull, and a much higher center of gravity, without any issues with this truck, but never at continuous highway speeds.
The trailer, is a V-Lite 26WFKS, with a dry weight of 6000#, and a tongue weight of 638#. If I max it out, it'll be around #7600. I'm familiar with how quickly weight adds up when you start filling nooks and crannies.
My query for the gallery is, do I need, an additional weight distribution style hitch, for the anti sway, or will I be more then good, with where I am, below the limits of the truck? Looking for opinions here, it is, after all, the internet.

If the moderators want to shift this thread down to the trailer towing area, that'd be dandy. I'm still familiarizing myself with the neighborhood. Thanks.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Yes absolutely. Would not consider not having weight distr'n hitch such as Reese dual cam or equalizer. Need to distribute some of that tongue weight to the front axle.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

Check the owner's manual - probably gives you a recommendation, but I think you'll find the tt is a lot different than a boat of the same weight, especially on a windy day. The WDH will give you the right amount of weight on your front axle, and sway control makes a big difference on the highway.

You can always get some scale weights without it and see what you get, but no way I would pull a trailer that size without the WDH and sway control even with all the factory equipment for towing on these newer trucks.

Congrats on the new rig!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Thanks.
I'm new to the trailer towing for RV stuff, where I'll put 500 plus miles a day on something thats close to the size of a billboard. I've towed a lot locally, and 4 or 5k highway, but with a light weight box trailer(6x12), or flatbed.
I figured there was a happy place, where below, I'd be fine with what I have, and over, where the WDH would be a definite plus
I'm conscious of the benefits of proper hitch loading, to prevent the rear from wagging. The roadmaster springs help to keep the truck from squatting in the rear, and do a great job of it. I intend to call them on Monday and see if they have any input.
I wasn't sure if the Roadmaster coil over leaf design, and Fords electronic anti sway, would cover me here, or if I was already over the line. Nothing beats first hand experience from those who do it a lot.
I'm still sorting through the duplications in the paperwork for ordering the trailer(amazing how many times you can get charged for the same thing, when it' ends up in a different column), and was hoping to avoid any redundancy here....if there was any.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
GLCM Warrior

We pulled a max weight 7200 lb Jayco 26ft TT with a Ford F-250 and we used a weight distribution hitch. I don't think I would go without one. I'd rather use one and possibly not really need it than not have it and find out that I did. I figured with how often I had grandkids in the back seat I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I'd check your manual for the weight limits for towing without a WDH. As I remember them, they were fairly limited on tongue weight.

We towed with an Eaz-Lift WDH (don't remember the exact model) and added a sway bar mainly for pulling out on the interstate highways just in case. Never had an issue with sway, but the truck outweighed our trailer by 1,000 lbs or better so that helped.

A friend of mine swears by his Equalizer hitch and if I were in the market for one I'd probably try it based on his recommendation - Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Congrats on your new rig!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
boatman

X2 an emergency lane change or getting the right side trailer tires drop off the pavement you will wish you had the WD hitch
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

I will proceed down this path then. I read some of the other threads about WDH's, regarding getting one sized for for the max weight of what I'll be towing, and will apply that when picking and choosing.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Do you plan on getting a bigger tongue pull trailer any time soon?

If so then please consider buying the bigger hitch now and save the coin later.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Denver, CO

The roadmaster will actually help a lot and will resist the side sway of the truck rear wheels, but will not help the change in steering caused by the weight on the hitch pulling the front wheels up. The WDH will aid in maintain good steering control. Most TT's have horrible weight distribution with front kitchens etc. not only adding tongue weight but also adding to the tendency to sway with the large moment arm at, I suggest the WDH is a good idea especially for a F150.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Site Team

definitely get a WDH!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Another reason to use a WDH: That tongue weight is gonna be in the neighborhood of 800 lbs. ready to camp. Many Ford receivers have a maximum of 500 lb. weight carrying capacity, but can handle around 1000 lbs. tongue weights when using a WDH.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #12

They are talking about (2) things here. WDH and S/C. My vote is you need (BOTH)! Like another Member stated,(Better have it in place BEFORE you need it)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #13

Thanks all for the feed back.
This is as big a trailer as I plan to pull with this truck, Ford Idaho. I avoided going bigger, just to make sure

I'll go ahead and git-r-done. Will be pulling halfway across the country when we do use it, so I'll take the better safe then sorry path. The dealer has one they plan to sell me. I'll compare it to what has been mentioned here for choices.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They are talking about (2) things here. WDH and S/C. My vote is you need (BOTH)! Like another Member stated,(Better have it in place BEFORE you need it)! Youroo!!
x2
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
I have a brand new Husky WDH with only two tows on it. I had a Winnebago Sunnybrook 31 foot TT and decided that I wanted to drive my camper instead of towing it. I upgraded to a FR Georgetown 351 DS. Anyone needing this new hitch may come and get it for free. Just IM or private message me and I'll give you directions and details of the hitch. I live in North Alabama close to the Huntsville area.
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #16

I would consider the equalizer or Reese dual cam sway bar the traditional friction style sway are not worth it on trailers over 22" and I fact it states you must use 2 on trailers over 26' but there are a lot of restrictions including backing.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Thanks for the input CincyEd, and to you gspage53, also, for the generous offer. It's a bit of a drive up that way from here, but not to bad. Let me see what the dealer has to offer, and look over the Husky on the WWW, and see what I think. Do it on a first come first serve basis, on the hitch. If I get back with you next week, and it's gone, so be it.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #18
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
Thanks for the input CincyEd, and to you gspage53, also, for the generous offer. It's a bit of a drive up that way from here, but not to bad. Let me see what the dealer has to offer, and look over the Husky on the WWW, and see what I think. Do it on a first come first serve basis, on the hitch. If I get back with you next week, and it's gone, so be it.

katkt, We're currently camping in Desoto St Park in North Alabama and will be home on Tuesday. The hitch was on my 2014 Ford F150 and was pulling a 31 foot Winnebago Sunnybrook the two times we took it out. So, its brand new. The hitch is a Husky Centerline Hitch. If I knew how, I'd post the PDF file from huskytow.com. I'd rather give it to someone who needs it rather than sell it.
I'm sure we can work out something to get it to you if you want it. Have a good weekend.
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
katkt, We're currently camping in Desoto St Park in North Alabama and will be home on Tuesday. The hitch was on my 2014 Ford F150 and was pulling a 31 foot Winnebago Sunnybrook the two times we took it out. So, its brand new. The hitch is a Husky Centerline Hitch. If I knew how, I'd post the PDF file from huskytow.com. I'd rather give it to someone who needs it rather than sell it.
I'm sure we can work out something to get it to you if you want it. Have a good weekend.
Google is my friend, I can find something thanks again.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Yes. Wdh and anti sway are a must at those weights.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, hitch, sway, weight