Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #1

Do I need a WD Hitch?

We recently purchased our first TT. It should be here in about a month. We're pretty excited about upgrading from the tent...

My first question is about what I need to hitch it up, and whether I need a WD hitch, or just sway control.

The GVWR of the new trailer is listed as 4410 (3139 unloaded) with a hitch weight of 490. It is a Flagstaff 23FB micro-lite.

Should I expect the hitch weight to be closer to 600 when loaded?

The tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra with towing package. It's towing capacity is just over 10,000. I think the payload is 1600 or so.

The owner's manual says to use a WD hitch if the trailer weight is over 5000, but does not say anything about hitch weight. Since the trailer max is 4410, I am wondering if WD is needed and am looking for advice.

Also, if you have a Flagstaff 23fb or Rockwood 2304, I'd be interested in what the coupler height and ball size is. Either way I need to determine rise/drop.

Thanks much for any advice.
--Randy
rbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

I would recommend a WD hitch. And actually, as small as that trailer is, the WD hitch would most likely negate the need for the sway control. That's how it worked with mine. And you can also add a very inexpensive friction sway to almost any WD hitch later if needed. In the 5 years I towed my 26' TT behind my F-250, I never needed a sway control (well, maybe once in a very stiff coastal crosswind). The average WD system provides a small amount of sway control, but you can get others with the sway control built in. But honestly, whether you "need" it or not can only be determined after you tow a few times. But regardless, I would still get at least a WD system.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would highly recommend a WD hitch such as the Reese Dual Cam. Also there is a lot of praise for the Equalizer on here also. These have built in sway control. You may not need it when all is well, but after one trailer tire blow out, you'll be glad you did. Also with 600 pound tongue weight, that may not sound like much, but remember all that is behind the bumper, and will cause your truck to squat quite a bit, plus other gear or firewood that may be in the bed. One last thing, you just spent a lot of money on a new trailer, and you are hoping to enjoy trips and a relaxing time. Why take a chance on not using a proper hitch?

Ball size is most likely 2 5/16. Pretty standard in the trailer industry for campers. Coupler height is close to 22 inches, again, pretty standard. If you get a WD hitch, no way to set it up without the trailer present, and also need to be on flat ground.
Good luck, and safe towing.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Team

If you were towing that RV with a 3/4 ton truck as EdJunior is, I wouldn't recommend WD or sway control (ok maybe a little sway bar), but you're not. With that 1/2 ton truck I'd recomend either the Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer in the 600 lb range. On that unit you could get by with a weight distributing hitch and a separate sway bar but with the afore mentioned units you'll get both and only have one thing to hook up.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Equal-i-zer

What weight ranges does this hitch come in? I'm getting a 25 foot trailer with GVW of 7000/UVW of 4100. Towing with Tundra 5.7 V8, 4x4.
geneowens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the link for equal-i-zer hitch specs. You'll need to know your loaded tongue weight.

Dave

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...tech_specs.php

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #7

I have one that you can have cheap, it is the one Dave references. It is a 1000# hitch with sway and wgt control. PM me if interested.