Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Do I need a WDH?

I have a 2008 Jeep Cherokee that I use to tow a Wolf Pup 16P. Do any of you know if it would be of any advantage to install a equilizer, load distribution hitch for safety. Thanks in advance.
dale1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dale,
I moved your post to its own thread because I think its a good question and the other Equal-i-zer thread was a different question.

So, do you "need" one? My suggestion to you is to first check the Cherokee's hitch requirements. In other words - At what tongue weight does Jeep require a WDH? Let us know - its usually stamped or stickered onto your receiver.

Also, I am not familiar with the 16P. Do you know what the tongue weight is right now fully loaded?

That will cover the requirement if you need a WDH.

As for safety, I think they are a pretty good idea. Although I have towed lightweight popups before without a WDH, I eventually added a basic one with a single sway bar for safety even though it technically was not required.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Wolf Pup Hitch

Hi there,
The tounge weight of the wolf Pup is 375 lbs. We did have the single axle changed out to a 5300 lb axle. Total weight of this trailer is approximately 3500 lbs dry.
dale1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OK, now look at your manual, door placard and/or hitch receiver. What do these items say about your towing caps?

I ask because my family has had a couple of Jeeps. One JGC had a 3,500/350lb limit while another was 6,500/650lbs as I recall. It was dependent on engine size and the trailer tow group package for the vehicle.

Let us know.

Also, see what it says about weight limits for a "Weight Carrying" hitch and a "Weight Distribution" hitch.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1937 View Post
Hi there,
The tounge weight of the wolf Pup is 375 lbs. We did have the single axle changed out to a 5300 lb axle. Total weight of this trailer is approximately 3500 lbs dry.
dry weight is really not a very useful number, no one ever pulls a dry trailer once it has been delivered. you need to know you actual heading to the campground weight, and it could be a whole lot more.

After that you need to figure out what your tongue weight is, and if that exceeds your receiver rating for no WDH.

From a more practical standpoint, when you hitch up now, does your Jeep sqaut much? Does the steering feel lighter, less centered. Those are the obvious signs of needing a WDH. In other words, the signs that safety has been compromised.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Ditto on reading your manual.
it will list a minimum number that will require using a WDH.

for a short wheelbase tv, towing even a short full-height TT, you should get a good WDH with built-in sway control, for peace of mind and your family's safety.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

I can't say if you do or don't. But, I personally would recommend it.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

A Cherokee is a passenger vehicle. Without seeing the specs, I would guess at best it's a Class 2 vehicle, extending to Class 3 with a HD towing package and a WDH. That means using a WDH when tongue weight exceeds 350 lbs.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #9

Not to hijack this thread but will I need a wdh for my wolfpack 28wp? Pulling with a f350 with a lift. Most my towing experiance has been enclosed trailers without.
utahford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahford View Post
Not to hijack this thread but will I need a wdh for my wolfpack 28wp? Pulling with a f350 with a lift. Most my towing experiance has been enclosed trailers without.
I wouldn't think so, but I would definitely add friction type sway controls on both sides of the hitch.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahford View Post
Most lift kids are designed for off road use, and therefore are designed to be more compliant over bumps etc. They are designed to flex quickly and deeply. This is the opposite of what you want when towing. Most lifts significantly compromise original payload capacities. Expect your truck to sag considerably more than it would stock.

For that reason, a WDH may be appropriate just to level your truck.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote