Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
The only tires that have plugs in them around here are on the quads,never on a TV.I wont even run a inside patch repaired tire on the steering axel,and only on the drive axel to get somewhere and replace it.
I've had blowouts on the same vehicle, one front, one rear. IMHO, based on actual experience, you definitely want a front blowout,,,,,, you can steer your way through it. On the rear - well, let's just say it's a pants cleaning event.

As far as plugs - were those tires plugged and patched, or just plugged? Speaking from experience as a tire dealer, any plug without an inside patch will void the warranty on a tire. Also more than 3 repairs to a tire and it's recommended to replace it.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #22

Tire Question

I will take your word for the tread, but will speak to the plugs. Never say never but plugs that have been present for some time are likely to stay good forever. When you put them in you usually have a good feeling about the likelihood of them holding and if they hold for the first week or so they as noted above are usually good to go. Things like tread separation are visible indications that it didn't work and no sense trying it again.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Interesting conversion. Now where is the spare and why not swap out and use it. That's what they are for. Telling me if I have 20,000 miles on tires no good. Just saying. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
As far as plugs - were those tires plugged and patched, or just plugged? Speaking from experience as a tire dealer, any plug without an inside patch will void the warranty on a tire. Also more that 3 repairs to a tire and it's recommended to replace it.
I wish I could answer that question. I had it plugged once but over the course of the next year it was losing enough air that I had to add every week, so I took it back, and they said they fixed it. Sure enough, no more leaks, but I have no idea if the prob was with the original plug, or if they found another hole. I also don't know if they included a patch. They just said, "plug." won't be buying my tires from them.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
I wish I could answer that question. I had it plugged once but over the course of the next year it was losing enough air that I had to add every week, so I took it back, and they said they fixed it. Sure enough, no more leaks, but I have no idea if the prob was with the original plug, or if they found another hole. I also don't know if they included a patch. They just said, "plug." won't be buying my tires from them.

If the tire leaked through that repair that long, I'd be expecting a separation. Virtually every tire we had come to us with a tread separation had a string plug repair in that area.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #26

Well then, that's enough information to inspire me to shop for some new tires. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #27

I agree with clr on the BFGoodrich. I've had two sets (Long Trail T/A) on my pickup (not a TV), and have been very happy with them. No air leakage. BFG is owned by Michelin, so that should tell you something. May not be quite as good, but great for the price.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #28

Our Sam's here in Concord NC doesn't sell LT tires. The guy at the counter looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him about LT 10 ply tires
TomnGerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #29

I hate to bring this up, but since you are going on such a long trip......I'd seriously consider buying new tires for your trailer too. Check the tires which are on it now and then see how much those tires go for new. I'd bet they would be the cheapest on the market. We are going on a 7,000 mile road trip with a Wildwood 262BHXL (which is a bit heavier than your trailer). It came with bias ply tires! I'm not a tire expert, but if you do a quick internet search of bias ply vs radial tires, I'd think you might conclude, as we did, that the radials are a better bet for towing a TT, especially in the heat of the summer. We went with Maxxi tires, as we have had good luck with them on other travel trailers. (Sold the bias ply tires on craigslist). A blowout on a TT can cause lots of damage and you may have to replace the other tire on that side also depending on how long it carried the extra weight. Having high quality tires and a TPMS are important safety features you'll want, especially on a long trip. And don't forget to check the air pressure/condition of the spare. Good luck and have fun.
ChairFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairFlyer View Post
I hate to bring this up, but since you are going on such a long trip......I'd seriously consider buying new tires for your trailer too.
I think you all must have stock in the tire companies

J.K. I'll definitely look into it. I've been seeing them referred to as China bombs. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Interesting conversion. Now where is the spare and why not swap out and use it. That's what they are for. Telling me if I have 20,000 miles on tires no good. Just saying. Later RJD
It appears that they are 20" rims. The spare is a full size spare, but a 17". It seems like they can't find 3" to spare on a full size truck to mount a full 20" spare.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #32

While on the TV tire subject, I have been told by tire dealers that the TV tires should be aired up to the max pressure shown on the sidewall when towing or hauling heavy loads. That is both front and rear tires. Normal tire pressure on ours is 30-32 lbs with max of 40 lbs. I haven't seen any posts on tire pressures, but it is something good to know.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Newbie TT owner here! Saturday I'm going to pick up our first, a Salem Cruise Lite 261bhxl. My TV is a 2012 Ram 1500 with tow pkg., bought new a few years ago, in great shape with only 26k miles. The dealer will be installing a WD hitch and brake controller. The factory-installed truck tires are in pretty good shape with plenty of tread. I estimate they've probably got about 25k left on them before they need replacing. Unfortunately, though, one tire has a couple of plugs due to a close encounter with some nails in the road. We're going on a 4k-mile trip in June to the Grand Canyon. My question is, in light of this, should I plan on getting new tires (or at least one to replace the one with plugs) before we embark for safety's sake? Or is the plugged tire completely safe?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
I would take them in to a tire shop and have them install a patch from the inside, you should be fine, they can tell if you hit a belt or not, 25000 miles is not much for a tire. You could second guess anything have a professional look at them for your safety.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Unfortunately they don't seem to make the Defender in 275/60r20 that I can find.

Pardon my newbie questions, but is it possible to use a slightly different size?

I just took 275/60R20's off my Ram and replaced them with 285/60R20's. They fit perfectly with no steering or body interference and the Speedo is still exactly correct. The only difference between the 275's vs the 285's is perhaps a 1/4 to 3/8's wider tread area. so going the 1 size wider tire is NO PROBLEM!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #35

Tires!!!???

Quote:
Well the problem seems to be with the Sam's website. Several of the tire choices don't begin with anything, neither a P nor an LT, which leaves me confused. Maybe I'll do some looking on tirerack.com

These will be the first tires I've put on this truck. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good set? I've always heard you can't go wrong with Michelins.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Michelin has good E range 10 ply, great but expensive.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
If you truck is not a 4x4 you can replace two tires if it is a 4x4 you would need to replace all 4........ Not a good idea just to replace one tire.

Lots of opinions will come in on plugs but tire stores in Virginia can not legally plug tire so ...................... So no plugged tires here.

My 4X picked up a nail inside sidewall front right.
Took it to DT, they would not fix it.
Prorated it out and replaced with a new one just like it.
Cashed it out after the rest were checked out.
Went back the next day and had a second new tire mounted, both new tires are on the rear axle.
Two older ones now on the front.

Just my input.....
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #37

I just put the 10 ply Michelin Defender M/S tires on my truck. Significant improvement in stability. Also to note, most agree that the heavier tire will cost you in MPG. However, mine seems to have gotten a hair better? I'm confused, but guess the Michelin has less rolling resistance.

I've liked them so far, and didn't find them to be far higher in price than the competition.

Discount Tire price matched my local Costco price. They also gave the typical $70 mail in rebate. Price to me with the lifetime service and warranty, $920. Discount Tire near us has awesome service. I grew tired of waiting hours for a rotation at Costco.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I just took 275/60R20's off my Ram and replaced them with 285/60R20's. They fit perfectly with no steering or body interference and the Speedo is still exactly correct. The only difference between the 275's vs the 285's is perhaps a 1/4 to 3/8's wider tread area. so going the 1 size wider tire is NO PROBLEM!
You went wider without going down in aspect ratio. They are taller too, by about a half inch. Your speedo is off, not by much, but it is. There goes your effective gear ratio too.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #39

This has been very informative, and I've learned a lot. I have a little 16' aluminum boat I tow to the lake, but this is a whole new ballgame with the TT. At least I feel like I can make some informed buying choices now. 'preciate everyone's input!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #40

Try the spare.

Hey gspot101...... Is your spare the same size as the other 4? If it is, have them remove that tire and swap it with the one with the plugs and use that one as a spare. I did that on a 2010 F150 I had and it worked out great. I basically had the same problem you have.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires