Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Trailer Trash

How does Cummins get the EPA blessing on the new trucks without running DEF fluid? Do they use a DPF in the exhaust?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #22

Yeah I waited until warranty was up. Went with the H&S XRT PRO.It also allows you to tweek some things like lights and of course works as a code reader as well.I'm certainly not advocating anyone to go out and rip out their emission controls as soon as they get their truck,but unless you drive that thing like a OTR trucker,it seems it's in a regen process or throwing codes of some sorts.This was the easiest way for me to accomplish that goal and not drive it thousands of miles every month.I was talking to a young friend of mine who works as a mechanic at a large Ford dealership here in the DC area and he said many of the guys aren't crazy about working on their 6.0 Int'l diesel.Hey I think they are all good.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
How does Cummins get the EPA blessing on the new trucks without running DEF fluid? Do they use a DPF in the exhaust?
Yep the good ol "Diesel Particulate Filter".Talk about choking a living breathing thing.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #24

Thanks for all the responses guys. You are making my decision a little easier. I tow a 26 foot toy hauler and and it's heaviest is 6800 pounds and am currently pulling with a Titan. I obviously know the cummins will not know its there but think a tundra will do better than my Titan. I don't know what to do.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #25

Quote:
They were running more exhaust back through the motor which in the end was a complete failure. I have a buddy who had an 2011 for a short stint and took it back because of the poor mileage, the dealer even offered to do all the deletes for free and keep his warranty but he figured it wasn't worth it as he already had a SRT-10 pushing around 900hp and didn't need two gas guzzlers.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
They were running more exhaust back through the motor which in the end was a complete failure. I have a buddy who had an 2011 for a short stint and took it back because of the poor mileage, the dealer even offered to do all the deletes for free and keep his warranty but he figured it wasn't worth it as he already had a SRT-10 pushing around 900hp and didn't need two gas guzzlers.
On the contrary, doing the deletes and running the tuner will significantly help the mileage. Mine improved by an honest 5 mpg, hand calculated. In addition to the better mileage, the motor oil stays much cleaner getting rid of the EGR. I couldn't be happier with mine. I get 14.5 mpg towing and 22.5 mpg empty on the highway. Not to many gassers will hang with that. And did I mention the performance? Thing is a beast!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
Yeah my '03 Hemi had that issue.They referred to it as the "head unit".That went out maybe 5-6 years.Kept it for 7 and had no other real issues with it.
Hmmm, had the same issue in my Dodge work truck. Two blower motors and one control unit. Then the damn electric fan on the condensor coil went out. I do have my A/C on 100% of the time I'm in the truck though.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #28

rkswyo, I don't doubt what you saying but I was referring to the 11's and the epa reg's. I think next year when they go to urea the stock truck will improve in the mileage category. Don't for get the average guy can't afford to lose his warranty.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #29
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Even a Ford can make it 30,000 miles with no problems.

You guys that did the EGR and DPF delete.........Hope your warranty is up. If not, you better not breakdown as now your warranty is void. Rumor has it the dealers are inspecting for this and enforcing it. I got an ugly feeling the truck computers have enough memory in them to keep EFI tuner changes in permanant records.
Not every dealer is out to screw you... I missed a shift in my car at the race track once upon a time ago. Revved the motor to 10G, floated the pistons, which smacked the valves and bent all of the pushrods.

Once I got it back to the dealer, they couldn't get it on the rack because I had lowered it so much, called me to ask about how to work the airbags to get it high enough to get it on the rack. They correctly diagnosed the problem, and the cause , fixed it all up for free and told me not to do that again.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #30

I agree with not losing the warranty
I can tell ya that everything on a cummins is half the price of a powerstroke or a duramax
Just price injectors
And you need two less of them
I think getting rid of the dpf and egr are definetly a good decision
Ther is no question the 6.7 will out tow a tundra and get better fuel economy doing it
Well good luck