Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Dodge Ram 1500 Towing Surveyor SV291

Hi, We are looking seriously at the Surveyors SV291 model, 31' actually. Our TV that we would use is our 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, Shortbed, 118" wheelbase, 3/4 ton suspension. We have used it as a second vehicle so it only has 77,000 miles on it. Ok, from what we have read here it sounds like we could be in trouble with potential swaying. We were okay on towing capacity weight. So glad we checked in here and read your posts.

Can any of you give us some feedback on:
a. shorter surveyor models you like that might fit our TV better?
b. any other ideas other than buying a new truck?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiorvbum View Post
Hi, We are looking seriously at the Surveyors SV291 model, 31' actually. Our TV that we would use is our 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, Shortbed, 118" wheelbase, 3/4 ton suspension. We have used it as a second vehicle so it only has 77,000 miles on it. Ok, from what we have read here it sounds like we could be in trouble with potential swaying. We were okay on towing capacity weight. So glad we checked in here and read your posts.

Can any of you give us some feedback on:
a. shorter surveyor models you like that might fit our TV better?
b. any other ideas other than buying a new truck?

Thanks!
1st of all...... to the forum!!!

Your concerns over the potential sway problems are valid. The SV 291 is 30' long, and you have a fairly short wheelbased truck. There used to be a chart on a website (http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html) that was a great source, but had to be shut down because of some copyright problems. But if I remember correctly, the chart started at 110" wheelbase towing a 20 footer (maximum), and for every 4" of additional wheelbase, the chart suggested a maximum length of 1' more of travel trailer. So at 118", the chart suggested a maximum of a 22 footer. Myself, I am just at the maximum of a 28' TT with a 145.5" wheelbase truck, and the SV 291 is 2 foot longer than my SV 263. Of course this chart was only suggested towing lengths, but it seemed a good rule of thumb.

I am curious about the 3/4 ton rating on a Ram 1500.....I thought the 3/4 ton was a Ram 2500?? And are you sure about the 118" wheelbase??? That seems kinda short even for a short bed/regular cab pickup.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #3

Hi, Thanks for the reply and info. We were afraid of that. Yes, our 1994 Dodge Ram Shortbed is 118.7" according to tech specs and hubby (I post for him) measured and he said he got 118". He just left for the store, but there is an extra pkg he got for 3/4 ton suspension. That is why it differs from the 1500. Still doesn't help us much on the length though. I think this puts us in that class where we need to upgrade the TV first, then go get the TT we want. Meanwhile, one more year in the old rvbum, a 1977 Dodge Cobra motorhome. It needs much redecorating for my standards. But biggest problem is we are still having a roof leak that he is going to have to fix to get thru this year. We just bought new awning for it last year, so that is a nice thing! Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

ohiorvbum, your truck sounds like a sweet ride. A 1994 with only 77,000 miles will be tough to give up, especially since it sounds like y'all bought it new.

The chart with the maximum towing length suggestions was for a conventional travel trailer. Other trailers that didn't have a tall profile (boat trailers, utility trailers, etc.) went by another chart that allowed more length with shorter wheelbases.....but again that is no longer posted on that website. That being said, you should be able to tow a longer collapsable trailer (Hi-Lo, Trailmanor, pop-ups) with that beefy of truck of yours with no problem. My previous trailer was a Trailmanor, and I realized that I was giving up the ease of towing with that for the comfy and permanent setup attributes of our Surveyor.

There are some Forest River products in the 22' or less range, some with permanent walk around queen beds. And if you have kids, the hybrids might suffice....those puppies are huge when you open the ends.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Grape Escape

tow vehicle

Just to let you know we pulled a 28'Rockwood ultra lite with a 2005 Chev Tahoe which has a very short wheelbase over 2 yrs and 6000 miles with no sway issues whatsoever. Just use proper hitch setup and moderate speeds. Never felt a 18 wheeler give us any problems. Only issues would be heavy crosswinds which could effect any towing rig.
Sometimes I wonder if people do not set the spring bars tight enough as we had zero problems unless I did not put adequate tension on the bars.
Hope to save you from purchasing a new TV unless you really need it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Our TT is 33' long. I totally agree with dezolen. It is all in the hitch. The high end hitches are Hensey Arrow and Pull-rite and then middle price Reese and Equal-i-zer. We have never had a problem once I got the hitch dailed in.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, dodge, shortbed, sv291, sway, towing