Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Well, since I already have the factory IBC, how do I change to each of the "4" settings til I find the setting I like?

Thru the message center on your dash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #12
Usually Confused Member

The four trailer brake settings are accessed via the uConnect display. If you installed the controller yourself the factory programming code is XHC. A lot of dealers don't know the code so you might have to tell them that code needs to be associated with your VIN in the factory system and then downloaded to your truck.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #13

Thank you emm-dee.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The four trailer brake settings are accessed via the uConnect display. If you installed the controller yourself the factory programming code is XHC. A lot of dealers don't know the code so you might have to tell them that code needs to be associated with your VIN in the factory system and then downloaded to your truck.

My controller was factory installed. So, what are the steps to changing the settings?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #15

Mine is accessed thru the information center on the instrument cluster. Go to setup and scroll until you get to trailer brake and select it now scroll thru and pick the setting you want.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
Mine is accessed thru the information center on the instrument cluster. Go to setup and scroll until you get to trailer brake and select it now scroll thru and pick the setting you want.

I'll give it a try.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #17

This is an interesting topic.

I traded my Ram 1500 for a Ram 2500, both equipped with factory brake controller. Pulling the same TT, on the 1500 I used light electric (<10000 lbs) and 6.5 gain. Worked great.

I tried the same setting on the 2500 and the TT brakes were not as strong. I upped it to 7.5 gain and it is better but not at the 1500s level. Going to max the gain next trip out, then maybe switch to heavy electric and go from there.

Strange that the HD settings are different. I did notice that the trailer plugs on the passenger side of the bumper vs. the driver side on the 1500.

Maybe Ram figures the HDs have hydro boosted brakes and don't need stronger controller settings...

2016 Ram 2500 CC 6.4L 4x4
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #18

just an update: we have a 16,000 lb 5th wheel. I had the brake controller set to light electric as I did not know you could change the setting. everything I read said that with that weight the controller should be set to heavy electric so I changed it. it's worse than light electric. you cannot lock the trailer wheels on heavy electric even with the gain set to 10! you could with light electric. so I went to a dealer and he said to bring the truck and trailer in and they will evaluate the situation. said it could be any number of things (controller module, software flash, trailer brakes themselves, antilock brake system). i'm really confused. don't the trailer brakes simply so a voltage on the wire and pull the magnets in based upon what that voltage is? i tried to ask the dealer how the various controller options vary this voltage and the service writer couldn't tell me. so i will ask the 'expert' when it bring the truck and trailer in next week.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post

Tried mine today with and without the trailer plugged in. When I scroll through and try to select trailer brake, it doesn't do anything. I guess on 2011 changing braking options wasn't an option. 😡
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #20
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Tried mine today with and without the trailer plugged in. When I scroll through and try to select trailer brake, it doesn't do anything. I guess on 2011 changing braking options wasn't an option. 😡
Do you have the uConnect system?

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, dodge