Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
The problem and the reason I traded in my 1500 last August (when I was looking at 30+ foot 9k TTs) was payload. At approx. 1600 lbs the 1500 was too limiting. It would be almost impossible to ever hit the GCWR on a 1500 without exceeding the GVWR or the RAWR first.
This was my issue and why I made the jump to a 3/4 ton truck my payload went from 1,300 on my 1/2 ton Ram to 2,750 on my current 3/4 ton Ram identical cab configurations and drivetrain. When I dropped the ready to camp TT on the hitch of my 1/2 ton 95% of my payload was gone.

This 3.0 diesel will have numbers that rival the Cummins 5.9 in the late 90's early 00's and they pull just fine. Where it will shine is in fuel economy when compared to the Dodge large gas motor the 5.7 Hemi. I have a Hemi it is simply put a fuel inhaler absolutley LOVES gasoline. Having owned a Hemi in my 1/2 ton I was well aware of this when I bought my replacement truck. The 3/4 ton Hemi Rams do not have the Displacement On Demand like the 06+ 1/2 tons have. This diesel will not be anywhere near the 8K pricetag the Cummins comes with probably in the area of 1/2 that amount. It is also very light for a diesel just about the same weight as the Hemi so payload numbers should be the same as a gasser. On the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks payload takes a decent hit with the heavier Cummins motor in it vs a Hemi (2,749 vs 2,083) in my trucks confirguration.
__________________

__________________
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #102
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
DnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
This was my issue and why I made the jump to a 3/4 ton truck my payload went from 1,300 on my 1/2 ton Ram to 2,750 on my current 3/4 ton Ram identical cab configurations and drivetrain. When I dropped the ready to camp TT on the hitch of my 1/2 ton 95% of my payload was gone.

This 3.0 diesel will have numbers that rival the Cummins 5.9 in the late 90's early 00's and they pull just fine. Where it will shine is in fuel economy when compared to the Dodge large gas motor the 5.7 Hemi. I have a Hemi it is simply put a fuel inhaler absolutley LOVES gasoline. Having owned a Hemi in my 1/2 ton I was well aware of this when I bought my replacement truck. The 3/4 ton Hemi Rams do not have the Displacement On Demand like the 06+ 1/2 tons have. This diesel will not be anywhere near the 8K pricetag the Cummins comes with probably in the area of 1/2 that amount. It is also very light for a diesel just about the same weight as the Hemi so payload numbers should be the same as a gasser. On the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks payload takes a decent hit with the heavier Cummins motor in it vs a Hemi (2,749 vs 2,083) in my trucks confirguration.
This is my first diesel. One things for sure (at least with me) once you have a diesel ... you will never go back to gas!

I think this smaller diesel will definately hit that nitch of under 9k TTs in the 1/2 ton world. It should end up cheaper over time with fuel savings vs added cost of the diesel. That of course assumes that the engine comes in under $3k as an option.

You bring up an interesting point for implementing it in a 3/4 ton. It would be a higher torque alternative to the Hemi and weigh a lot less than the Cummins. That should give a nice payload boost to the 3/4 tons. Again a nice specific niche market option.

As much as I love my new 3500 ... I do still on occasions miss my old Hemi. Damn I loved the sound of that motor rumblin down the road! Maybe I'll have to buy a Challenger SRT8 to get my fix!
__________________

__________________
Dan n Dione

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #103
phat phrog stunt crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bethalto il
Posts: 1,422
to my way of thinking, if it rates at or near the hemi performance (towing), then why bother with the exspense both from the certification process (chrysler) to the minimal return on investment (consumer). the price difference between the hemi (free upgrade last i heard, but im not looking) and the diesel will buy lots of gas.

i would be interested in one, but if its going to be on par with a gas motor, i wouldnt even bother. thats why i speculated earlier it is going to fall somewhere between a 1/2 ton hemi power (11,500 according to trailer life) and 3/4 ton hemi at 18300 for '13 model (allpar.com).
__________________
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #104
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
DnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
to my way of thinking, if it rates at or near the hemi performance (towing), then why bother with the exspense both from the certification process (chrysler) to the minimal return on investment (consumer). the price difference between the hemi (free upgrade last i heard, but im not looking) and the diesel will buy lots of gas.

i would be interested in one, but if its going to be on par with a gas motor, i wouldnt even bother. thats why i speculated earlier it is going to fall somewhere between a 1/2 ton hemi power (11,500 according to trailer life) and 3/4 ton hemi at 18300 for '13 model (allpar.com).
You may end up being proven right on costs. If that's the case then Ram will have missed the boat for the niche market I was thinking about.

I semi disagree with you on the running cost between a Hemi and this diesel. The Hemi pulling a 9k trailer is going to be measured on gallons per mile...not miles per gallon! OK not exactly but when I pulled a car trailer behind my 1500 w/Hemi I only got 6 MPG. This lil diesel should at a min get 15 MPG. I am not a math whiz but I am guessing that over a 5 year span you should be able to break even on the lifetime cost factor.
__________________
Dan n Dione

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #105
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
RV Lifestyle - Vol. 41 No. 7

If money is no problem then buy a porsche cayenne diesel, you get great mpg towing, this link shows one towing a 30ft airstream, just showing what can be done.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
You may end up being proven right on costs. If that's the case then Ram will have missed the boat for the niche market I was thinking about.

I semi disagree with you on the running cost between a Hemi and this diesel. The Hemi pulling a 9k trailer is going to be measured on gallons per mile...not miles per gallon! OK not exactly but when I pulled a car trailer behind my 1500 w/Hemi I only got 6 MPG. This lil diesel should at a min get 15 MPG. I am not a math whiz but I am guessing that over a 5 year span you should be able to break even on the lifetime cost factor.

While im first in line to admit the Hemi is a fuel hound 6MPG seems a bit short especially towing a car on a trailer. This would be lighter and more aerodynamic than most TT's out there. Even Consumer Reports back in 2007 reported 13mpg average and 8.2mpg towing a 7400lb TT. Towing a car on a trailer i'd expext number to be near 10mpg still pretty pathetic.
__________________
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #107
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
DnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
While im first in line to admit the Hemi is a fuel hound 6MPG seems a bit short especially towing a car on a trailer. This would be lighter and more aerodynamic than most TT's out there. Even Consumer Reports back in 2007 reported 13mpg average and 8.2mpg towing a 7400lb TT. Towing a car on a trailer i'd expext number to be near 10mpg still pretty pathetic.
It was an enclosed car trailer so only slightly less aerodynamic than a TT. I was also hauling up grades for 2/3 the trip and never went slower than 65 anywhere along the route. For us this would be a pretty normal trip in that during the summer we go up to the mountains to escape the heat of the valley.

I would think someone who tows on the flats and stays to under 65 might get 9 -10 or so.
__________________
Dan n Dione

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #108
Member
 
FR28footer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 82
Still a Dodge.........
__________________
2012 Silverado 3500HD, 6.6L Duramax
Montana Big Sky 3625RE
Two Field Bred Springers
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #109
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
DnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR28footer View Post
Still a Dodge.........
Yep ... This is a Dodge thread...

Where on a quiet day you can hear a Chevy rusting.....

__________________
Dan n Dione

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 419
Yep still a Dodge 2013 Truck Of The Year
__________________

__________________
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.