Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #61
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

gray fox I apologize for derailing your thread !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
like your post ?
Well "turbs" it is not to hard to go back through the thread and see that all you were interested in was bashing Dodge. I actually opened the post hoping to learn more about the subject of the post since I had read an article about the new 1/2 ton Dodge diesel today. I am just hopeful that this forum dosen't turn into a bashing forum like many others are. I don't find it nessasry to brag about my equipment or bash someone elses.

Back to the original OP's post, I would like to see the specs when they come out!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #63
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
Well "turbs" it is not to hard to go back through the thread and see that all you were interested in was bashing Dodge. I actually opened the post hoping to learn more about the subject of the post since I had read an article about the new 1/2 ton Dodge diesel today. I am just hopeful that this forum dosen't turn into a bashing forum like many others are. I don't find it nessasry to brag about my equipment or bash someone elses.

Back to the original OP's post, I would like to see the specs when they come out!
No denying the post got derailed.

The "brand bashing" was amongst friends and was friendly BS'g. Also no trucks were injured in the making of this thread.

I too appologize for my part in it.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #64
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
gray fox I apologize for derailing your thread !
X2

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

X2 and 3

we were having fun and IT got sideways in a hurry but we were all playing with each other .
NOBODY was being hurtful!

sorry to offend you rkswyo .
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #66
phat phrog stunt crew

seems there was some duramax bashing and the occasional ford mention as well. all was done in good nature. besides, what else is there to talk about without more info that wouldnt be just speculation on our part?

during the 50's and 60's, and probably earlier, brand bashing and loyalty was discussed as well. now it just has migrated to diesels.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #67
Always Learning

X+me... I'm as guilty as the others for ribbing on turbs- but everything I read seemed like it was intended as good humor. Friends busting on each other and no real offense meant.

Anyway- so back to the op's post... As a geekly computer guy, why diesel in a 1/2 ton truck? Heck, for that matter- why diesel in a car? The only manufacturer in the USA that I know who is actively making these is VW. What's the benefit? Longevity? Performance? MPG? (And, is the MPG enough to offset the higher-than-premium that I have to pay in a metro area?) And, given that some of the gas stations that I go to- they only serve it up in the truck pumps, are the fuel openings big enough for the high flow nozzles? I wish I had asked the owner of the VW a couple of weeks back...

Doug
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #68

I see no mention of payload or capacities that will be offered with this truck. It would be nice if there was an HD package available that compares with the F150 Ecoboost HD. Torque is great, but rear axle ratings and gross combined ratings could use a boost too. Gas or diesel, I do like seeing these smaller displacement turbo engines entering the "1/2" ton market.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Just because GM didn't do it doesn't mean the market is not there. Once they get out from govt control they can make their own decisions.
They made thier decision in 1980 too bring out the Gas/Convert. We know how that worked out for them,and us! Dont blame the GOV. for that one. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #70
phat phrog stunt crew

freind of mine has an 80's somoething rabbit with 350xxx + on it. still running, but the body rusted away from the rear axle. he is currently looking for another rabbit to switch all over. 50+ mpg @ 70mph
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #71
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
I see no mention of payload or capacities that will be offered with this truck. It would be nice if there was an HD package available that compares with the F150 Ecoboost HD. Torque is great, but rear axle ratings and gross combined ratings could use a boost too. Gas or diesel, I do like seeing these smaller displacement turbo engines entering the "1/2" ton market.
I was thinking of the same thing. As a tow vehicle the payload and torque in a 1/2 ton will be on different sides of the spectrum. May be a disaster with some folks trying to tow more than they should with the confidence of a diesel under the hood, IMO! You see it already with the 3/4 tons.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #72

The turbo diesels shine at altitude. I am really curious to see the tourque specs as well as mileage. I would think they would better any current gasser in the 1/2 ton for mileage and performance, although I don't know what the Ecoboost are getting.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I was thinking of the same thing. As a tow vehicle the payload and torque in a 1/2 ton will be on different sides of the spectrum. May be a disaster with some folks trying to tow more than they should with the confidence of a diesel under the hood, IMO! You see it already with the 3/4 tons.
Very good points!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #74
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it sounds like all the rest of the Dodge diesels, it will just be the noisest little truck on the road unless it's hooked to a tow truck.
The noise issue has been discussed here before - I believe Herk thought the same thing, but my 2012 6.7L Cummins is not that loud. Some other poster here with the same engine agreed.

Yes they are diesels, but Cummins has quieted them down a lot IMO.

In addition - mine doesn't require DEF or glow plugs.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #75
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it sounds like all the rest of the Dodge diesels, it will just be the noisest little truck on the road unless it's hooked to a tow truck.
I got the 2.8l I4 and she is louder than your gasser, but not overly loud.

Here is a clip of some cold starts I taped after changing styles of glowplugs.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #76
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

The noise issue has been discussed here before - I believe Herk thought the same thing, but my 2012 6.7L Cummins is not that loud. Some other poster here with the same engine agreed.

Yes they are diesels, but Cummins has quieted them down a lot IMO.

In addition - mine doesn't require DEF or glow plugs.
I'd love to see mine MUCH quieter, to be honest. Not that it's loud- I'd just like it to be as close to "no noise" as possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #77
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I got the 2.8l I4 and she is louder than your gasser, but not overly loud.

Here is a clip of some cold starts I taped after changing styles of glowplugs.

I have heard the nickname tractor for those as well. They do sound kind of like a small tractor when you here them pull into the gas station, however this is really not that noticeable. I drove one (the Liberty was too small for us, but really liked the powerplant) and from the front seat, my wife was hard pressed to notice the difference in noise. Full disclosure: my Excursion 6.0 is 4 inch turbo back, it wakes deaf neighbors.

Anyway - same manufacturer on the engine, VM Motori. So I think ChooChoo besides having a cool screen name, can probably lend the most to this conversation about durability etc.

I would assume they would put together a max tow package with it. Back in the day you could order the Ram with a special service pack, I had a 1997 like this, that raised the rating quite a bit. I would expect a max tow package to come in with a 11K tow rating, but the payload may still not be that great.

One question, how much does that little diesel weigh? That will impact the payload rating too.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I have heard the nickname tractor for those as well. They do sound kind of like a small tractor when you here them pull into the gas station, however this is really not that noticeable. I drove one (the Liberty was too small for us, but really liked the powerplant) and from the front seat, my wife was hard pressed to notice the difference in noise. Full disclosure: my Excursion 6.0 is 4 inch turbo back, it wakes deaf neighbors.

Anyway - same manufacturer on the engine, VM Motori. So I think ChooChoo besides having a cool screen name, can probably lend the most to this conversation about durability etc.

I would assume they would put together a max tow package with it. Back in the day you could order the Ram with a special service pack, I had a 1997 like this, that raised the rating quite a bit. I would expect a max tow package to come in with a 11K tow rating, but the payload may still not be that great.

One question, how much does that little diesel weigh? That will impact the payload rating too.
From what I could find the weight is right at 500lbs.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My concern is how this will be priced.

Add 8k + more to a half ton?

I'd rather by a 3/4 ton for the difference

Turbs
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #80
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
My concern is how this will be priced.

Add 8k + more to a half ton?

I'd rather by a 3/4 ton for the difference

Turbs

I think you can say the same thing about the F-150 with ecoboost and Max to package. Of course, most people are probably more interested in the ride of a 1/2 ton.

The article I read suggested it would be a $2K option over the cost of a HEMI. If they hit that price point, I think they will sell more than the 10K trucks they hope to sell.

Honestly, I would think some people would be interested in that engine in a 3/4 ton. Let's face it, none of us truly needs 850 ft lbs of torque that you get in the new Cummins.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote