Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
phat phrog stunt crew

i also have an 08 duramax cc with standard 6'6" bed. pulls like a freight train bought mine used as well in 10 with 3000 miles. car fax came back clean with no accidents or history. only downside i have found is the silly 26 gal fuel tank on the short bed. seriously, if titan can make a 52 gal tank fit very well into the same spotwith minor "hang down", why cant gm put in a 35 or 40 gallon tank?

as far the fass fuel system, does that replace the stock filter with something (block off plate)to mount in stock location? that stock filter is in a pita location, at least for me anyway. im not any where NEAR as flexible and limber as i usta be
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #22

I love having the 36 gallon tank in my '11. But seriously - why can't these stupid fuel stations allow transactions large than $100. They've got my credit card so I can't see what they are worried about. So I'm forced to run the card through twice each time, never knowing how much the second pull is going to draw. Can't tell you how many times I've waited for the pump to clear after the first run, put my card in a second time, and then only pull about 2 gallons. If I were to be using a stolen credit card, I'd still be doing the same thing.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
I love having the 36 gallon tank in my '11. But seriously - why can't these stupid fuel stations allow transactions large than $100. They've got my credit card so I can't see what they are worried about. So I'm forced to run the card through twice each time, never knowing how much the second pull is going to draw. Can't tell you how many times I've waited for the pump to clear after the first run, put my card in a second time, and then only pull about 2 gallons. If I were to be using a stolen credit card, I'd still be doing the same thing.
That's not a fuel station problem, it's the credit card. Credit card companies put a limit on it because they don't know what the final cost is going to be, unlike a store purchase, and they can't shut the pump off once a transaction is started. The limit use to be $50, but with the rising gas prices, they bumped it to $100. Gas station credit cards, on the other hand, don't have a transaction limit.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL
Thank s!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
Amen brother!

But I notice it varies all over the place - sometimes $74, others $75, $90 or $100. Some no limit. Also varies weather credit card or debit card. Seems silly to me, but I bet it's based on maximizing the fees the bank charges for these transactions.

I never put my card in twice. If all they want to sell is $74 of diesel, then so be it, screw them and on to the next! I should get more disciplined and just fill it when it gets down to 1/2, instead of all the way to E, and not have to worry about limits.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I know the 6.0 will get the job done as thats what I have now (05) (20000 miles) uses no oil in 7000 miles but if I am going to haul this sabre longer distances in the next few years I want to consider the diesel .
Turbs, Just my opinion... I love my 05 Duramax/ Allision combo. Wouldn't have anything else except for a 2014 Duramax/ Allision. Duramax/Allision what a great combo. That's just my opinion.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox

Turbs, Just my opinion... I love my 05 Duramax/ Allision combo. Wouldn't have anything else except for a 2014 Duramax/ Allision. Duramax/Allision what a great combo. That's just my opinion.
I'm with ya!
I'll have to wait till February if I go with the duramax .
Gas I could go get today.

Guess I'm holding out till either a good deal comes my way or I order a d-max in February.
When do the 14's come out?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #28

I have a 2012 Silverado 2500 diesel EC & love it.
Traded in a Dodge 2500 V10 & it was the best move I ever made.
Once you go diesel you never go back!

With the V10 I was getting 5 mpg towing my 12K lb 5er.
Last trip to FL we had to stop every 100 miles to tank up.
On the open highway I'm averaging 12-13mpg with the diesel.

Just this past weekend I pulled the 5er up a .5 mile, 45 degrees dirt hill from where we camped along the Allegheny River.
It wasn't an established road or camp ground.

Hindsight I should never have taken the 5er down where I did to begin with. Just couldn't resist the secluded spot 20' from the river's edge.

I know I would have never gotten out if I had the V10.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
I have a 2012 Silverado 2500 diesel EC & love it.
Traded in a Dodge 2500 V10 & it was the best move I ever made.
Once you go diesel you never go back!

With the V10 I was getting 5 mpg towing my 12K lb 5er.
Last trip to FL we had to stop every 100 miles to tank up.
On the open highway I'm averaging 12-13mpg with the diesel.

Just this past weekend I pulled the 5er up a .5 mile, 45 degrees dirt hill from where we camped along the Allegheny River.
It wasn't an established road or camp ground.

Hindsight I should never have taken the 5er down where I did to begin with. Just couldn't resist the secluded spot 20' from the river's edge.

I know I would have never gotten out if I had the V10.
Wow, I'd be too scared to take a 5ver that big off the asphalt! What would you do if you got stuck?
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'm with ya!
I'll have to wait till February if I go with the duramax .
Gas I could go get today.

Guess I'm holding out till either a good deal comes my way or I order a d-max in February.
When do the 14's come out?
Turbs... Not sure exactly when the 2014's come out, but I do know the 1500's will come out first and then the 2500 HD's all new interior design and new exterior makeover and more creature comforts plus more power as if we really need it.

I think I'll spring for a 3500 HD SRW this time... less than $ 1000.00 DIFF. IMHO well worth it... same ride, same comfort and a little more capacity.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox

Turbs... Not sure exactly when the 2014's come out, but I do know the 1500's will come out first and then the 2500 HD's all new interior design and new exterior makeover and more creature comforts plus more power as if we really need it.

I think I'll spring for a 3500 HD SRW this time... less than $ 1000.00 DIFF. IMHO well worth it... same ride, same comfort and a little more capacity.
Been thinkin about the 3500hd srw as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher

Wow, I'd be too scared to take a 5ver that big off the asphalt! What would you do if you got stuck?
The owner of the property owns most of the oil drilling operations in the area.
He has the equip to pull anything out of anywhere.

Getting up the hill on my own was a real rush though. Gave me a reason to pound on my chest!
However it also showed me that I need to get some more aggressive tread on the truck. Heck, like I need a reason...
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
Phat Phrog

We just bought an 07 Chevy silverado 3500HD DRW LTS (diesel) to pull our new XLR Thunderbolt 5th wheel toy hauler. It is our first diesel, our first 5the wheeler and first toy hauler! We chose the 07 because and newer because it has the ability to change out the glow plug on an individual basis. We just added the EDGE Revolution Controller which will allow us to change engine programming for power and engine braking capability. It's a beautiful truck and only had 71,000 miles. So we saved lots of money and have a truck to last several years!

Good luck on what you pick out!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick
We just bought an 07 Chevy silverado 3500HD DRW LTS (diesel) to pull our new XLR Thunderbolt 5th wheel toy hauler. It is our first diesel, our first 5the wheeler and first toy hauler! We chose the 07 because and newer because it has the ability to change out the glow plug on an individual basis. We just added the EDGE Revolution Controller which will allow us to change engine programming for power and engine braking capability. It's a beautiful truck and only had 71,000 miles. So we saved lots of money and have a truck to last several years!

Good luck on what you pick out!!
Thank you!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What year in the duramax did they start the regen and def?
Regen only till 08 or 09 ? 10 has both?

I was told the 09 or 10 will run circles around 08's and older?

Turbs
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #36
Oklahoma Proud

Dpf - 2007.5
Def- 2011 along with new frame and chassis parts and redesigned ft bumper on chevy.

08-10 should all be same gen motor, sometimes there is an update on program- but you can usually update the older in the same gen. as well. You would just have to have someone at the dealership check to see if there are any updates available.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
phat phrog stunt crew

what does the update improve on?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
Oklahoma Proud

Not sure exactly. Mainly little things I think. I did one on my truck and I couldn't tell a difference. Of course the 6.4 that ford had, they had to update to change the regen so it wouldn't do it at idle- the trucks had fire out the tailpipe problems.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
phat phrog stunt crew

ahhh... cleaner emissions. instead of breathing soot, now you can breathe all the plastic and rubber as it melts to the ground

isnt life grand in our new and enlightened times?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Well I finally found the truck I was looking for Thursday!
Called the dealer on Friday and said I'd be there Saturday morning when they opened to try and make a deal.

Saturday morning "yesterday" the dw and I trek the hour drive only to find out that the unit was sold the night before with out his knowledge.
But hey he had a similar unit for 10, 000 dollars more! And they will even give me a thousand less for mine to trade!

After spending the better part of the day there looking at truck after truck I was left to trek the hour home with nothing more than what I came with.
On goes the search

Turbs