Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Does anyone tow in 4WD in the rain

We did a final trip of the season this past weekend and it was raining Friday night and on a back country road I was drive up a steep hill and all the sudden the rear tires of my TV slipped making the rear end of my TV a bit squirrelly. After my heart nearly jump out of my chest, I put the truck in 4WD the rest of the way to the CG but was wondering if anyone puts their vehicle in 4WD in the rain. I realize I probably have a lighter vehicle than most and there might have been some bounce going up the hill that might have cause the rear tires to slip. Thoughts?

Tim & Tracy, Jennifer (14), Alyssa (10), our dog Jazy (5)

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
Previous TV: 2006 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L V8
2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L I6
DisDad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
I once put my tundra in 4WD trying to get into the crystal mine down in Arkansas. At the time I was pulling a scorpion with a 1500 gold wing on it. The hill was very steep with gravel and free ruts. Towards the top I was losing my momentum and starting to slip. I kicked it into 4WD on the way up. I have never had to use it since.

2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
That seems like a really good solution to me. It might not be a light rear end as some tires are not real good in rain or they could just be nearly worn out. I would not tow 4x4 unless conditions similar to yours dictate it. I use 4x4 to pull my TT off the grass where it is parked after a rain or heavy dew & then switch to 2 wheel drive.
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Only if I had a lot of tire spin.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Yep, I sure have. It's a last resort for me, and I always try to plan a head so as not to have to use it. That said, old mother nature has caught me a few times by surprise. Rain has never been much of an issue, but snow, and ice was when there was no place to pull off the road to wait it out. I was once caught 30 miles east of Boise when a storm got there earlier than expected. Took a little more than hour to get to Boise. Lots of folks were having wrecks on the slick freeway surface. I had to stop a few times, and it took 4WD to get moving again. There were a few occasions when off pavement on some dirt roads I have had to use the extra traction. Probably less than 100 miles in 7 years I have had to throw the switch to get where I was going. I am never in a hurry, and pulling off the road when conditions get bad is my normal routine.
"Full Timer" with "Boon Docking" in the desert southwest being my drug of choice. Well, that and really cold beer.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
If you have a heavy duty truck I would not do it, it is unnecessary and will put a strain on your drivetrain. But if you have a truck with awd that is different it is meant to be engaged all the time at any speed. The only time I use mine while towing is at low speed on rocky hilly terrain.
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Not usually- but almost getting stuck in the mud this past July 4th- I was happy for it.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
I would only use 4WD when you have lost traction. Keeping it in 4WD is unnecessary. I have only used it when pulling my fiver out of my backyard when the grass is slippery.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Resident Masshole
Have not had to use it in rain before, but I do use 4WD whenever I'm pulling the camper in someone's yard (we do a fair amount of of yard camping at friends & family homes), or if I hit a long dirt road.

While not always necessary, I like to make sure everything works. In fact I usually test out my 4WD at least every couple months.

I've known a couple guys that hadn't used their 4WD in years, and when they really needed it, they find their actuator had seized up so they couldn't get the front axle to engage.

Just don't drive down dry tar.
Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
If you are having traction issues, why not. The transmission, transfer case and rear end is handling the pulling load every day, engaging 4WD means the rear axle takes less of the load and you gain more traction due to it. Same thing with being in yards, I use it just to avoid the chance of digging up the yard if there where a chance to slip.

jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote