Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #21

Leasing can be nice if done with all the variables in mind....i used to lease my F150s (as I get xyz pricing from ford) and if you catch them when rebates and incentives are high its not a terribly bad situation as the net capitalized cost was way WAY less than msrp and the residual ended up being like 68% of the net cap cost at lease end...and the money factor was under .001...I think I did pay a 250 disposal fee at lease end...

In the end your just RENTING a truck, but I never wanted them more than 3 yrs nor out of warranty, so it worked for me......I no longer lease...and if I had a dollar for everyone who assumed I was financed to the hilt because of what we drive or where we live.......well....id have more money to buy more toys!!...lol...I dress like a bum and my daily driver is an 06 model 4dr sedan...like I tell my wife when we are beat down and tired from the daily grind..."work hard, spend smart, enjoy life"!!...

Then again I look like I could be a mexican cartel drug dealer....so i dont take it personal.... :-) :-)
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
In the end your just RENTING a truck, but I never wanted them more than 3 yrs nor out of warranty, so it worked for me......I no longer lease...and if I had a dollar for everyone who assumed I was financed to the hilt because of what we drive or where we live.......well....id have more money to buy more toys!!...lol...I dress like a bum and my daily driver is an 06 model 4dr sedan...like I tell my wife when we are beat down and tired from the daily grind..."work hard, spend smart, enjoy life"!!...

Then again I look like I could be a mexican cartel drug dealer
....so i dont take it personal.... :-) :-)
If a driver trades every 2-3 years, chances are he's going to always have a payment. Shouldn't the payment be less? And should the initial cash outlay (down payment/sales taxes) be much less.

And a lessor doesn't have to bet on the direction of the used car market--and doesn't have to deal with what to do at lease end value. Turn the old vehicle in and get yourself another one.

I too look like an old bum running around town in my 12 year old pickup. Nobody knows I drive a Jaguar convertible on Sundays--and actually clean up then.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #23

For me it was convienence...I fully understood I was renting a vehicle and the financial disadvantages thatv came with it...

The ironic thing is I have several very well off friends and they ALL lease high end euro vehicles...has nothing to do with money, they just like the drive and toss mentality of a lease...in one case a customer of mine leased a 80k $ bmw and was 11k miles over due on maintenance at lease end!! !!!...and the maintenance is FREE!!!!.....so some may say buying what they cant afford but what I usually say is paying for laziness and convienence. ..own a high end, high maintenance vehicle and not worry about long term vehicle health...drive it, (sometimes hard) and toss it and replace it....

Not my thing, but I see the appeal in some cases....

I take good care of my cheap stuff too!!..lol
Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Site Team

Leasing is an option and can be a good choice for some of us. I never regretted any of my leases. The key is knowing the pros & cons before deciding. When I got my truck I originally wanted to lease but found out that buying had a larger rebate which made a big difference.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #25

Quote:
The ironic thing is I have several very well off friends and they ALL lease high end euro vehicles...
It's amazing how many "well off friends" are actually in hock to their eyeballs trying to convince you they're "well off," when actually, they've got nothing in retirement and owe $75K on their credit cards. But of course, you don't know that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #26

I suppose anything is possible and that stigma is one I personally see often directed right at my family. What I do know is that if 75k in cc or a 75k vehicle puts them in "hock to their eyeballs" it is the very least of their issues!!...we have acquaintances and clients who have debt to income ratios of 65+.....most of my "friends" (and I dont keep many) have investment portfolios worth 2x my net worth...then again maybe that dont say much. ..lol..to each their own...I could care less what cars they have in the multiple garages and houses...I wish everyone the best in life, health, and wealth!....thats all I will contribute to that.

To stay on topic, nothing wrong with a lease for some people...

Happy camping !
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #27
Oklahoma Proud

In the newer trucks is there really a way for the dealer to tell how much the truck been towing?

Simple answer...no.
Coming from a current dealer tech, for what its worth!
Besides that, boat, tt, bobcat, etc. , its a truck, its original design was to haul and tow stuff!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #28
Incheon, S. Korea

I would lease if the numbers worked. Often I have bought new because the financing rate was near zero %. It all depends on your tax positions, especially if it's a company car and it can be expensed.
I think the $$$ for new vehicles is crazy right now, but if you drive it into the ground, it's ok. Even better is to buy a one year-old vehicle or a lease turn-in.
We buy new now because we use them to carry our students. I don't want to endanger our kids because of some hidden defect from the previous owner.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #29

As I said earlier about lease payments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
One reason leasing's better for the dealer and salesman is that his retail leases are usually based on MSRP. He's hitting a "home run" on every lease deal--big profits.

But if you offer a lesser monthly payment to the dealer, he can take it. I suggest working your deal on a purchase--squeezing the dealer for the lowest price. Or, paying the price advertised in the newspaper. Tell them to plug that number in as the Acquisition Price on a lease and figure up a payment for you on a lease.
Leases are just as negotiable as purchases with dealers. Many buyers know how to purchase vehicles, but very, very few know that they can also negotiate lease payments. After all, you're not buying the whole vehicle--you're purchasing use over part of its lifespan.

And don't forget that manufacturers also throw sales incentive packages and low APR's often to dealers for use on leases. That's when the monthly payments get really, really low.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #30

Personally I would not lease any vehicles. If I want to get in my vehicles and drive across the usa I will that is what a vehicle is for.so if I wanna put 20,000 miles on my vehicle its my business I dont want a lease company tell me how many miles I can only put on my every year.Even though I only put 4,000 miles on my vehicle due to having a company truck. So I buy my vehicles through my friend that owns 6 dealerships he gives me a great deal when I trade in. But everyone has their own opinion. When I trade in my vehicles has low miles and still looks new I just trade a 2005 dodge ram that had 60,000 miles in and he gave me a great trade in value.
flaggstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper