Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

Does this look right?

You've all been so helpful and we really appreciate it.

Picked up our new trailer, with our new truck. We got a WDH, it's a Husky, which is what the dealer sold. The tech showed us how to hook up and unhook, after a thorough PDI, and home we came.

It did feel VERY stable. We couldn't feel any sway at 60 to 70, even with rigs passing. But there was a bit of a lurching feel. Seemed to be at least partly the road...some areas were better.

I'm attaching a picture. Do we seem to be high at the hitch? Or is that how it should look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_195242.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	210972  
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #2

Did they give you an owner's manual with your hitch? If so read it and it will tell you the proper setup. From the pic it looks a little high. Could need to lower it one hole or change the angle of the bars.
Reid Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #3

I had to reset my hitch when I bought my new trailer the dealer tech was about useless during our PDI. He had our hitch setup almost 4 inches to high.
Reid Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #4

Everything looks pretty level. The trailer looks level to the ground. Your truck looks level. I think it is an optical illusion due to the rising bridge in the background.

To be sure, measure your trailer frame to the ground from front to back. If it tows good, which it sounds like it does (some lurching, but could be Road) let it go for a while and see how it performs.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Camper View Post
I had to reset my hitch when I bought my new trailer the dealer tech was about useless during our PDI. He had our hitch setup almost 4 inches to high.
The tech at my dealer did just the opposite. I had to raise mine 4" after I got it home.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Looks could be deceiving, I would measure the frame-to-ground with a tape measure.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

It's a little hard to tell because you don't have the entire truck and trailer in the picture. The trailer looks level though, but the truck looks like it might be riding a bit high. I think overall you are good though. Getting a couple of more pictures might help us and you a little more.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #8

It may be perfect when you are loaded to travel. I set my Wdh softer if I am towing my trailer empty with an empty tv.
Nice looking outfit you have.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
It may be perfect when you are loaded to travel. I set my Wdh softer if I am towing my trailer empty with an empty tv.
Nice looking outfit you have.
Thank you all! It occurred to us later that except for the propane tanks and the battery, there's nothing in the trailer or the truck bed, so we'll measure the trailer and see. I suppose the truck could be a bit high in the back just because it's made that way. But, the trailer being level is the thing. We haven t even had time to look over the hitch manuals and such.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
Thank you all! It occurred to us later that except for the propane tanks and the battery, there's nothing in the trailer or the truck bed, so we'll measure the trailer and see. I suppose the truck could be a bit high in the back just because it's made that way. But, the trailer being level is the thing. We haven t even had time to look over the hitch manuals and such.
Realistically, the dealer DID set the hitch up correctly.....just to get you home with the trailer....and that's not bad. It's up to the owner, once the trailer is loaded with the additional gear (beer weighs 18.8 pounds per case not including the bottles or cans) to adjust the hitch accordingly.

Not picking on you Mrs.Shockley, but the general statement of the forum is "the dealer didn't set it up correctly....they're morons". In the dealer's defense, they can't set it up pretending how much and where the additional 1000-1500 pounds of gear will be distributed throughout the trailer and behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Once fully loaded, take your truck and trailer to the scale with some tools and time to adjust.

WARNING: Where I would watch for garbage work at the dealer is them "setting up" the hitch by a non-competent person. I have the same Husky TS hitch and had set mine up prior to picking up the trailer. When the tech made his "adjustments" he failed to torque the horizontal bolts holding the head to the shank. Upon checking the hitch, they were torqued to 14% of the required 380 ft lbs. That was a call to the owner of the dealer because it became a serious safety issue.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #11

Trailer hitch

Set it so your trailer and pickup are level.
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Realistically, the dealer DID set the hitch up correctly.....just to get you home with the trailer....and that's not bad. It's up to the owner, once the trailer is loaded with the additional gear (beer weighs 18.8 pounds per case not including the bottles or cans) to adjust the hitch accordingly.

Not picking on you Mrs.Shockley, but the general statement of the forum is "the dealer didn't set it up correctly....they're morons". In the dealer's defense, they can't set it up pretending how much and where the additional 1000-1500 pounds of gear will be distributed throughout the trailer and behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Once fully loaded, take your truck and trailer to the scale with some tools and time to adjust.

WARNING: Where I would watch for garbage work at the dealer is them "setting up" the hitch by a non-competent person. I have the same Husky TS hitch and had set mine up prior to picking up the trailer. When the tech made his "adjustments" he failed to torque the horizontal bolts holding the head to the shank. Upon checking the hitch, they were torqued to 14% of the required 380 ft lbs. That was a call to the owner of the dealer because it became a serious safety issue.
Well, I don't think out dealer tech was a moron, nor do I think it was set up incorrectly, I just thought it was a bit high. He actually tightened those bolts in front of us, advising us to always make sure they were tight. He was very thorough on the PDI. (I had a10 page checklist I'd printed. LOL) A torque wrench is on our list of things to buy.

There are no CAT scales within 45 minutes of us, but well find a way to get there soon.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #13

I have the exact same hitch pulling a 30' TT with a 2016 F-150 so we are pretty close. I purchased our RV this past Feb from a dealer 6 hours from home. I was so happy with the hitch until I loaded the trailer for our maiden voyage. I pulled out the manual and began reading the instructions. This is when I realized the dealer may have set it up ok empty but not loaded. I figured I would need to make minor changes when I bought it but as it turned out, I had to drop the ball height and add shims in order to get the set up right. I also contacted Husky's customer service. They were great to deal with answering all my questions and advising how to adjust for a more comfortable ride. There also are a couple of excellent tutorial videos on youtube from Husky and owners showing the correct way to set your hitch up. Good luck!
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #14
D W

Not to derail this thread, but may I ask if you can open your tailgate with this setup?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #15

You said that you didn't feel any sway, but there was lurching. Did they adjust the brake controller for you. With my first TT, the dealer took me on a test drive and showed me how to adjust the brake so there isn't lurching when I step on the brakes.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not to derail this thread, but may I ask if you can open your tailgate with this setup?
Not the OP, but even with Equal-i-zer WDH, I can't drop my F150 tailgate all the way down, when hooked up. It still hits the power tongue jack.
I will have to drill an extra hole on the jack base, to pivot it, to get enough clearance.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Using that same hitch on my '11 F150, I wasn't able to drop the tailgate without hitting the jack.

When I got the F250, I was pleasantly surprised that the tailgate could fully open. My thought was that Ford moved the hitch a little further back on the truck and it allowed the tailgate to drop....then my 6 year old reminded me that the tailgate is shorter in height so it didn't hit... college degree vs. kindergarten studying simple machines

Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
.....There are no CAT scales within 45 minutes of us, but well find a way to get there soon.
A CAT scale is helpful but not totally necessary. Whatever scale you use, just note the axle numbers as you roll on and then plug them in to THIS SPREADSHEET. It will calculate all your weights and show in numbers whether or not your hitch is set up correctly and if you need more or less tension on the bars.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #19

Might be a little high at the ball but as others have mentioned, load it up for camping first. Download the manual if you didn't get a hard copy to review the wheel well height changes that should be measured. Measure before hooking up, measure when hooked up without the spring bars, and then measure with the spring bars attached. Both front and rear TV wheel well center arch and also the front and rear of the TT.
With current Fords, per Ford towing guide, when the WDH is fully engaged with spring bars attached, the front wheel well is to be returned to one half of the difference between unhooked and TT hooked up but no spring bars attached. If it's closer to the unloaded height than half, that's cool.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Site Team

Measure height from ground to rear fender well.
Un hitch and measure same place again. Should be pretty close.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote