Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
Mega Member

Tow Dolly

I too have an Acme tow dolly and find it to be easy to use. It is considered 'equipment' (at least in Texas) and does not require registration. At a campsite it can be stored vertically---so it takes up much less space. It does require an extra step or two at a non-pull-thru campsite, but I have the latitude to use it with any of my vehicles, which saves me expense in the long run.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As an FYI, you can't dolly tow a Jeep JK, manual or automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #23

Correct. The dolly would be for the jetta.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was a bit surprised by that info, as mine is a manual, figured all would be good. Nope!

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #25

ACME redesigned its tow dolly quite some time ago

Strigflag: I wouldn't have bought the tow dolly you described, either. But it has been some time (I don't know how long) since the company redesigned its ramps and its wheel straps. The ramps are now steel, not plastic. They attach easily and lift off easily. And they have an excellent surface for traction for front-wheel vehicles to pull themselves on.
They also redid the wheel straps, sewing the webbing down in place so they don't slip to one side or another. My wife now puts them on and takes them off in a heartbeat.
I certainly agree that a tow dolly is not for everyone, and it may not be for me after a few more years and a different vehicle. But the current ACME is easy to use. I was talking with a fellow at Cedar Key RV Resort in January because he and I both had one of the current models. As we talked we watched a big Class A come in and get out those old plastic ramps that did not attach, and you're right, they were a bad design. Now they're long gone.
Blue Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #26

I've done both for years. I flat tow my Jeep Rubicon 6 speed and when we want the VW Jetta we use the dolly. I've never had any adverse problems flat towing but have had a small issue that could have been catastrophic when running thru rain with the dolly the tire hold down straps became wet causing them to stretch. This allowed the tire to shift out of the pocket. Had I not noticed it the next time we stopped I'm not sure what might have happened.
I guess if the Jetta were a standard trans. I would prefer to flat tow.
Marvlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I was a bit surprised by that info, as mine is a manual, figured all would be good. Nope!

Pull the rear drive shaft.
Fairly quick and easy.
Then you can dolly.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #28

I towed my 2009 Hyundai Azera with a Acme tow dolly from Rochester ny to Las Vegas.2600 miles.no problems at all. I like the dolly as there is no need to equip the motorhome with the brake equipment(dolly has surge brakes) or the car with an actuator and when I changed motorhomes I need to do nothing. Yes you do need to unload the dolly.but we can unload it in a few minuets. and The Azera cannot be flat towed (front wheel drive) I did add an extra set of taillights in the back window as the dollies lights are at the side and at the front of the car
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #29

I just saw the note on licensing the dolly.I'm from Ny and there is no requirement to license the dolly
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #30

I purchased my Sunseeker 2860DS last January and looked at both dolly and flat tow. In May I purchased a 2015 Versa Note Hatch Back with a 5-speed and love to tow it . All I do is but the transmission in neutral and make sure the steering wheel is not locked.. I towed it over 5000 miles the summer. Mileage does not show on the speedometer. Just make sure it is a 5-speed .... No towing for the CVT transmission
thopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I just saw the note on licensing the dolly.I'm from Ny and there is no requirement to license the dolly
In Georgia I was required to register / license my Acme dolly. Its all of a whopping $12 a year so it wasn't worth pursuing the "equipment" argument with DMV...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote