Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

I had a 2009 32' TT just under 9000 lbs pulled it with 1/2 ton f150 rated at 9500 for a few months not fun at all. Upgraded to f250 with V10 gas what a differnce. Now I have a 11,000 fifth wheel with ram 2500 diesel a great match can't believe what difference a 5th wheel and diesel make.

Anyway when I was selling my 32 TT just under 9,000 anyone that called I would tell them they needed a 3/4 to pull. Needless to say had a couple come in a ford expitdition to look at the camper. They loved the size and layout. I told them it would be to much for a 1/2 ton expitdition. They have me the line car and RV dealer say we can pull it easily. I told them no way they were crazy and I already tried it they got irate and cussed me out. I told them I would sell it to them as long as I had cash and title and they got a BIG insurance policy. They were not happy at all. Guess being honest don't always pay off. Sold it a few day later to guy with 2500 Chevy diesel and I could sleep.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #12

Tow Vehicle

My local Ford dealer tried to sell me an Ecoboost F150 to tow a fifth wheel. They know nothing. I also believe most F250s are exceeding payload when towing big fifth wheel. I spend a lot of time researching this and used a spread sheet to include that dog in the back seat and extra fuel tank and the heavier Superglide hitch for my short bed and the 3kw generator in the bed of the truck. I had an 2011 2 wd F250 dieslel and ended up buying a Silverback because of the low weight and therefore lower pin weight. I would have to see CAT weight to believe a 34ft Montana on an F250 was within specs. Even with the lower weight silverback I found that good airbags really improved towing.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #13

I have been lurking here for a while. Also over on rv.net where I am a member for 8 years.
This year we decided to sell our MH that we have put 80,000 miles on.
I have a love affair with my 2010 F150 max tow pkg. I really like the Flagstaff classic superlite series of TT. Here is where my fun began.
Our first impression was that we could tow any of the superlite trailer configurations, then I started studying the advertised weights. There was a variation of weights but I noticed the greater variation was in the tongue weights as advertised (DRY Weight ).
I know all the ford factory weights on my F150 so It became very clear v that with most of these classics we would have enough tongue weight to be over our GVW, long before we came to our cgvw or trailer tow rating.
We have camped long enough to know a couple of things.
1. we have been out west about all we want we have seen the parks no need to trapse up and down too many mtns.

2. we now have a lot of time to to take our time and not be rushed into traveling on bad road days. We can get there when we do.

3. I have a lot of hours both in the MH and with towing fairly heavy loads although many of those hours were in Diesel.

4.) We are not going to spend much more than a month on the road at a time we have lovely family and friends that we enjoy at the S&B location in the future we plan to stay put and not travel a lot other than to the destination.

5.) We have learned to be light in our packing and needs we do not carry a lot of dishes, silverware and heavy pots and pans. We tend to buy light weight disposable storage containers 9 In lieu of glass bowls ) and throw them out after a few uses. We use paper and plastic dishes and cups most of the time. we have learned to take a few canned goods and staples and then stop at the store as needed. We keep the refrig to a few days supply at a time and a few things like condiments.

6. my best educated guess is that for the 2 of us we will have about 700 extra pounds to be distributed in the Trailer

In all the thinking and research I decided to add a couple of mods to my F150 I Did not add these mods to go beyond any payload or other factory specs. I did them to add a margin of safety and stability.
I replaced the factory tires (P rated) with Michelin Lt LX/MS E rated tires I did this to stiffen the sidewalls and to help that squishy side to side movement in the P tire.
I installed Timbren SES (rear only) again to help the stability and the inadvertent bouncing from rough roads.
I have a 5star tow tune on an SCT programer that deals with shifts and locks out 6th gear in the tow/haul mode. I know the 5.4 makes HP and torque in the 4000 rpm range that is where the benefit of the tuner is at its peak.
Now getting back to our selection we chose the 831RESS because it is a front living set up and has the least amount of tongue weight. It also has a center kitchen so much of the heavier kitchen items will end up amid ship. I hope that with proper packing we can keep the tounge weight to about 950 lbs. There is very little outside storage so less tempting to start hording. When we sat down and looked at all those past years on the road we realized how much junk we hauled on the what if or that would be nice to have. We have weeded those items down.
To the point of the response to the OP's post. I agree that too many put fate into the hands of Ill informed sales people that want to sell a truck or RV. I cringe when I read some of posts and the questions. I believe some people would not be safe towing a pop up with a one ton. Why people do not carefully consider all the aspects before a purchase before they are in over their head is unclear. It seems common sense and due diligence is not on the plate of many.
I hope our own choice will work out we will try it for a bit and if not we will change TV if we feel unsafe or overloaded. Point is we have not drank the kool aid from a sales person. If you find me upside down along the road it will not be because someone talked me into something other than my self.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You actually had an SUV with a payload of 800lbs!!!! You couldn't even put an adult in every seat without exceeding that. My MIL has a Honda minivan with a payload that exceeds that by over 50%- and I'm pretty sure it's not even rolling on a real frame!!!!
Sadly that was on a 2004 Nissan armada. The 800 lbs was per cat scale weights with family in the vehicle. The loaded tongue weight on that 7300 lb tt was dang near 1000 lbs. The hitch was only rated to 910 lbs tongue weight. We lasted 1 season towing with that suv before trading on the f250 psd. Man do I love towing with my diesels.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Sadly that was on a 2004 Nissan armada. The 800 lbs was per cat scale weights with family in the vehicle. The loaded tongue weight on that 7300 lb tt was dang near 1000 lbs. The hitch was only rated to 910 lbs tongue weight. We lasted 1 season towing with that suv before trading on the f250 psd. Man do I love towing with my diesels.
Well don't keep us in suspense, what happen with the F250 that you went to a 3500? And a chevy on top of that
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #16

I think he bought a trailer that has a 13700 lb GVW.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag me down View Post
To the point of the response to the OP's post. I agree that too many put fate into the hands of Ill informed sales people that want to sell a truck or RV. I cringe when I read some of posts and the questions. I believe some people would not be safe towing a pop up with a one ton. Why people do not carefully consider all the aspects before a purchase before they are in over their head is unclear. It seems common sense and due diligence is not on the plate of many.
I hope our own choice will work out we will try it for a bit and if not we will change TV if we feel unsafe or overloaded. Point is we have not drank the kool aid from a sales person. If you find me upside down along the road it will not be because someone talked me into something other than my self.
Hello, being new to the 5th wheel lifestyle, I also listened to the "experts" at the RV dealership and Ford dealer. I have an 8289 WS and a 2014 F150 Crew Cab ecoboost. While the truck can pull the weight, it may not be the safest. Me and DW travel light.

I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer HT3's on the truck. I am now looking into getting a heavier shock and spring put in the back end or just installing airbags. I went out a few times this season with it (purchased in October), and didn't have any issues so far. But that's how I want to keep it. I do plan on having new tires put on the 5ver prior to the new season next year.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
Hello, being new to the 5th wheel lifestyle, I also listened to the "experts" at the RV dealership and Ford dealer. I have an 8289 WS and a 2014 F150 Crew Cab ecoboost. While the truck can pull the weight, it may not be the safest. Me and DW travel light.

I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer HT3's on the truck. I am now looking into getting a heavier shock and spring put in the back end or just installing airbags. I went out a few times this season with it (purchased in October), and didn't have any issues so far. But that's how I want to keep it. I do plan on having new tires put on the 5ver prior to the new season next year.
I have the same truck in a 2013. I highly recommend adding Firestone Ride-rite air bags and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. I did these 2 mods and it is very stable loaded heavy. You can stiffen the shocks up when towing and then adjust them for better ride when not.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I have the same truck in a 2013. I highly recommend adding Firestone Ride-rite air bags and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. I did these 2 mods and it is very stable loaded heavy. You can stiffen the shocks up when towing and then adjust them for better ride when not.
Thank you very much, I am going to talk later to the mechanic who will install the airbags and look into these shocks. The Firestone Ride Rite are the ones that were recommended.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well don't keep us in suspense, what happen with the F250 that you went to a 3500? And a chevy on top of that
Trailer upgrade. I went from a 7300 lb loaded weight tt to a 12000 lb loaded fiver. The f250 only had a 1500 lb available payload so it would never have bern able to handle the new fiver. The f250 also had a large amount of mechanical issues that the shop never could identify (long story here).

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck