Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

double pivot hitch?

Is there some sort of trick to engaging my dbl pivot reese hitch? I feel like I have to stick some sort of foam in between the lever to keep it level when backing up. I just don't trust that it's going to line up and engage until it's level when backing up. Am I just a rookie? Can someone share some advice?
Prodigy BC, Reese 20k Dbl-Pivot Slider Hitch
2011 Sierra 355QBQ, Mega Couch, Outdoor Kitchen
meritage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2

Yes you are, but we have all been there so do not feel bad. I assume you are talking about the receiver plate sloping down toward the rear bumper of your truck? If that is correct, the Reese instructions tell you to line up the king pin and the receiver with the lip of the king pin a 1/4 inch below the key. As you back up to the king pin and you can see that it is making that 1/4 inch connection to the key. Stop at that point and connect the electrical trailer brakes. I set them so the trailer will not move and make sure the chalks are in place. Then I slowly back the king pin on the receiver. I have my wife either back up or watch the connection. Make sure you have opened the gate lever before backing up. I do not want the trailer moving at all during the hook up.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #3

Wow, I appreciate the tips. My latest issue is that my new hitch handle doesn't stay open. It's too loose, so if I just put my truck in reverse, it pops closed. It sounds funny, but it made for a good 90 mins per hook up when I was by myself. I am having the head piece replaced by Reese in hopes that will fix the too-quick release. But I can tell, you being an amateur, makes this much more difficult and stressful when the hitch doesn't work as expected.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Turns out my hitch was defective. I got it replaced for free, and now it works like a champ. Glad it wasn't just me being a newbie to the 5er world. :+)