Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
There's a couple of other caveats with double towing in Ontario. The most important one though is that according to the MTO site, it can only be done by commercial vehicles:

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/towing

The ever present grey area is that they consider all pickups as 'commercial' vehicles, but not always SUVs. So, if you've got black and white plates, you can double tow, but if you've got blue and white 'personal use' plates, you can't.
Thanks for the clarification. I seriously hope no one would ever try to double tow with anything less than a pickup that's properly outfitted for towing heavy loads.

I've seen some people double towing on Hwy. 401 around here and I questioned whether or not it would be illegal. Apparently not. It's kinda scary to think all you need is a regular passenger car drivers licence to be able to double tow.

I found this website for a list of RV regulations for Canadian Provinces.

RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I seriously hope no one would ever try to double tow with anything less than a pickup that's properly outfitted for towing heavy loads.

I've seen some people double towing on Hwy. 401 around here and I questioned whether or not it would be illegal. Apparently not. It's kinda scary to think all you need is a regular passenger car drivers licence to be able to double tow.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how our G's would apply here. I assume the standard 11,000 KG combined, 4,600 KG towed max would still apply. I just double checked the licensing regs (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/940340) and it seems the "G with over 4600 KG house trailer connected by fifth wheel" exemption only applies if it's the only towed vehicle. So, if I'm interpreting the regs right, you can only double tow on a G if the total combined weight of both towed vehicles is under 4600 KGs. In that respect, a lot of those double tows you see are probably illegal.

In my case, I would never try to double tow. I've got enough issues trying to backup a single trailer, much less trying to back up two of them. Sure, some people do, and it's technically legal, as long as you stick these various regs. I'm just not somebody skilled enough to try it myself.

However, I think we've also sufficiently this thread. To the OP, if you wish, I can break this conversation out of your thread to it's own discussion. Please let me know if you want it moved.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #23

FYI, as I understand the law here in Michigan, you can only pull RV double trailer if you have a 5th wheel, not allowed with a bumper pull RV.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure how our G's would apply here. I assume the standard 11,000 KG combined, 4,600 KG towed max would still apply. I just double checked the licensing regs (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/940340) and it seems the "G with over 4600 KG house trailer connected by fifth wheel" exemption only applies if it's the only towed vehicle. So, if I'm interpreting the regs right, you can only double tow on a G if the total combined weight of both towed vehicles is under 4600 KGs. In that respect, a lot of those double tows you see are probably illegal.

In my case, I would never try to double tow. I've got enough issues trying to backup a single trailer, much less trying to back up two of them. Sure, some people do, and it's technically legal, as long as you stick these various regs. I'm just not somebody skilled enough to try it myself.

However, I think we've also sufficiently this thread. To the OP, if you wish, I can break this conversation out of your thread to it's own discussion. Please let me know if you want it moved.
Thanks.

I read through the reg you linked to and it includes a table that says the towed vehicles (plural) cannot weigh more than 4600 kg. So you are interpreting it correctly.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RND View Post
Illegal in Illinois.

Incorrect.

Double Towing IS legal in Illinois. 60' combined length, including bumpers.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #26

Quote:

all you need is a regular drivers license to drive these big diesel pushers also . it's a wonder they can get down the road as most can't even back into a spot
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #27

Tacky

You are right. Fiver only. Not sure about motor homes never owned one and never will. Arkansas is legal also see it all the time. I personally think its quite nutz.i drove truck over the road for 12 years and i wouldn’t attempt it.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #28

Quote:
For information, in the Province of Ontario, Canada, the Highway Traffic Act uses the term "box length" to describe the length of a combination of more than one trailer. The maximum box length (external measurement from the front of the foremost trailer to rear of rearmost trailer) can't exceed 18.5 metres (approx. 60.7 ft.). I can't find any references to the means of connection of the trailers so if that's correct, then the first trailer can be a TT the same as in calltrex's picture.

Not too sure what your source is...but according to this, the only was to tow triple is off a 5er

http://http://www.camping-canada.com/towing_regulations_e.asp
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #29
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
Not too sure what your source is...but according to this, the only was to tow triple is off a 5er

http://http://www.camping-canada.com/towing_regulations_e.asp
My source was the actual Highway Traffic Act published on the Government of Ontario’s website. Can’t get a more reliable source than that.

Third party websites like the one you linked to are not reliable. If you want to know what the law really says, find the Act on the governing authority’s website.