Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #21

Letís take care of the elephant in the room "SWAY" I hear a lot of folks saying this and that but only one person talking turkey, your truck will be able to tow the trailer with no issue, BUT you got suckered into a WD hitch! With most any small trailer you never need to worry about a WD hitch, they are not heavy enough, BUT what you will have is a trailer that is not equal in weight from front to back and it will give you a bad condition of sway like you had.
I purchased a Coleman pop-up many years ago, it was the first year change and it was called the "grand tour" it was the biggest frame and body that Coleman had made to date, and the model i purchased had a front storage, and that was my problem all the weight when hooked put was on the rear bumper, so i did the same thing as you drove a few miles on surface streets and then hit the interstate as i had a 2 hour drive home on the interstate alone. HOWEVER, in less than one mile my chev astro ext. van and the pop-up where using ALL three lanes! I was able to slow it down with the brake controller, and then drive it to the next exit and drove all the home on surface streets. I call ed the dealer the next Monday (before cell phones) and of course they said it was my fault, until i said i was contacting my lawyer, they called Coleman, who then Coleman called me, and told me i had to get a HEAVY DUTY sway bar and maybe two of them as there is no front tongue weight in this trailer, so it will sway all over the highway (oh and they dealer was supposed to tell me that!) I purchased a friction sway bar and pulled that pop-up around for the next six or 8 yrs. up down the east coast without t like of trouble again, and i never had to replace the sway bar it went with the pop-up when i traded it in.
So stay with you truck just give back the WD hitch and get a friction sway bar (or 2 ) and you should be good to go, if not at that point you have some big issues with your truck or your new trailer.
Hope this helps Happy Camping

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #22

So glad no one was seriously injured. From a TV perspective I think you are undersized for what you were pulling. Most the more advanced members here will say you can never have enough truck. As for your trailer I agree you were prob under weight on the tongue which will fail to distribute the weight up toward the truck and thus pretty much failing out the e2 sway mechanism making for any pretty volatile situation. I tow a 6000 pounder with an e2 on a RAM 1500 and even though I'm well within spec I'd be in the same boat if I was light on the tongue. Properly calibrated and with a properly loaded trailer the e2 will do a good job dampening sway. Now navigating yourself thru a 180 degree spin out on a highway, that's new underwear worthy because if that were me behind the wheel of most have definitely soils my shorts.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Letís take care of the elephant in the room "SWAY" I hear a lot of folks saying this and that but only one person talking turkey, your truck will be able to tow the trailer with no issue, BUT you got suckered into a WD hitch! With most any small trailer you never need to worry about a WD hitch, they are not heavy enough, BUT what you will have is a trailer that is not equal in weight from front to back and it will give you a bad condition of sway like you had.
I purchased a Coleman pop-up many years ago, it was the first year change and it was called the "grand tour" it was the biggest frame and body that Coleman had made to date, and the model i purchased had a front storage, and that was my problem all the weight when hooked put was on the rear bumper, so i did the same thing as you drove a few miles on surface streets and then hit the interstate as i had a 2 hour drive home on the interstate alone. HOWEVER, in less than one mile my chev astro ext. van and the pop-up where using ALL three lanes! I was able to slow it down with the brake controller, and then drive it to the next exit and drove all the home on surface streets. I call ed the dealer the next Monday (before cell phones) and of course they said it was my fault, until i said i was contacting my lawyer, they called Coleman, who then Coleman called me, and told me i had to get a HEAVY DUTY sway bar and maybe two of them as there is no front tongue weight in this trailer, so it will sway all over the highway (oh and they dealer was supposed to tell me that!) I purchased a friction sway bar and pulled that pop-up around for the next six or 8 yrs. up down the east coast without t like of trouble again, and i never had to replace the sway bar it went with the pop-up when i traded it in.
So stay with you truck just give back the WD hitch and get a friction sway bar (or 2 ) and you should be good to go, if not at that point you have some big issues with your truck or your new trailer.
Hope this helps Happy Camping

The e2 has decent friction sway built in.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #24

Hello OP,

I also owned a 83 Ford Ranger. I towed utility trailers, uhaul to move etc. and not much more. It was just too loose for a larger trailer.
I also owned 83 21 Ft Travel Trailer. This trailer was 5,000 lbs loaded. The First TV was a Ford Club wagon, no issue. Second was a Merc Grand Marquis, not worth a crap but when you have nothing else you try. I had a 1993 Safari. I had a weight distributing hitch and had a friction sway control. The trailer was back heavy so I ran with a full tank of water to make the tongue heavy. As far sway the safari was all over the road, Wheel base was the issue, just too short.
Is your ranger a extended cab? Might be your issue. Oh yes get truck tires if they are available if not use the MAX pressure as specified by the tire manufacturer to stiffen up the tires. Thathelped me with my P series tires on my F 150.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #25

The Ranger is a marginal tow vehicle but that isn't your problem. I'm going to guess that you're towing with a full fresh water tank. The fresh tank in the 178 is behind the axle so towing full is reducing tongue weight while adding approximately 300 lbs total weight and that's an accident looking for a place to happen. Never tow a 178 with a full fresh tank. I'm going to be polite and refrain from commenting on what my thoughts are about your dealer's pricing, service, or advice.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #26

Based on my experience and your comments, 1) your tongue weight is light 2) your trailer load is too heavy behind the TT axel, and 3) your Tow Vehicle is not big enough for your TT. WD distribution shifts the weight from the TT to the front of the TV and your sway control reduces sway (not eliminates). My truck is an F150 rated for 9,800 lbs. and my trailer is 7,000 lbs. fully loaded. I get a little sway sometimes. I just pulled it with an F250 and there is not sway at all. It is overkill for my setup but a bigger TV does make a BIG difference. I will be trading up to the F250 as soon as I can.
5.4L V-8 6-spd auto 2x2 9,800 Lbs. towing capacity.
mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtd View Post
The Ranger is a marginal tow vehicle but that isn't your problem. I'm going to guess that you're towing with a full fresh water tank. The fresh tank in the 178 is behind the axle so towing full is reducing tongue weight while adding approximately 300 lbs total weight and that's an accident looking for a place to happen. Never tow a 178 with a full fresh tank. I'm going to be polite and refrain from commenting on what my thoughts are about your dealer's pricing, service, or advice.

Dealerphibia (both auto and rv) are the reason it took me a year to buy both a truck and a trailer.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #28
Ambassador

Nothing wrong with his truck guys, He isn't pulling a 5th wheel or even something close to that... Folks are saying it's the truck. I pull a much bigger trailer with what is arguably a smaller tow vehicle. I put 20K miles on my trailer this year. I know buying a new truck seems like an easy straight forward answer, but even then if you don't have it setup properly, you are still going to have issues, and be 40K poorer. You do not need to spend one dime to fix this problem. just a little elbow grease, and a little bit of time. He needs to get it set up correctly. Stop hounding him about his truck already...

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #29

I agree with Ken K. The problem would still exist with a bigger truck if nothing else were changed and it would be just as dangerous. I know of several RPods being towed with Rangers and lesser vehicles safely. Furthermore there is nothing inherently wrong with the 178 other than the fresh water tank being located behind the axle and that's fine too if compensated for or emptied. There is also nothing wrong with the e2 WDH. I use one and I highly recommend it but it absolutely must be set up properly and it cannot under any circumstances perform miracles. If the tongue weight is light nothing can help except weight redistribution.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtd View Post
I agree with Ken K. The problem would still exist with a bigger truck if nothing else were changed and it would be just as dangerous. I know of several RPods being towed with Rangers and lesser vehicles safely. Furthermore there is nothing inherently wrong with the 178 other than the fresh water tank being located behind the axle and that's fine too if compensated for or emptied. There is also nothing wrong with the e2 WDH. I use one and I highly recommend it but it absolutely must be set up properly and it cannot under any circumstances perform miracles. If the tongue weight is light nothing can help except weight redistribution.
x2

Tags
ford, hitch, sway, weight