Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #41

From what I found it looks like the Ranger has a max weight of 2200 lbs towing capacity.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

No dealer will tell you that. My first dealer set my wdh up backward, yes backward. First rule of thumb is do not trust the dealership on anything. Most dealerships tell you anything to make a sale. I have even had salesmen try to sell me a 9000 lb dry weight tt for a Nissan armada. Nope. Many service departments also delay warranty repairs and blame the manufacturer but when owners call the manufacturers they find out claims were never even submitted. This is where caveat emptor comes into play. I understand the not knowing what you dont know. I was once in your shoes and learned several things the hard way. What you have learned now should be not yo trust the dealer. Now is the time to try to educate yourself. Ask questions here. Answers to your questions will likely spark more questions. Camp close to home in the beginning and ask questions of those around you. Most in campgrounds are happy to help you. I have been doing this for almost 5 years now and am still learning things every day. I share with others what I have learned too as that is what these forums are for.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #43
Site Team

Ian, did you not do any research, on RV forums, before buying your Rpod?
Not trying to blame you but with all the info that's available on the internet, all the ones I frequent have newbie/beginning RV sections with tons of advice and info.

I know some people are impulse buyers and prefer not doing research, whether it's buying an auto or RV. Not saying you are though, just that many jump in without feeling research is needed.
I've read many RV posts from those that know nothing about RVs but have sold their house, buy a RV and start full-timing, without knowing how to tow or how things work in their RV.

I could never do anything like that. In fact, I'm an over-researcher. I took 3 years of research and shopping, before buying my truck and RV.

Drives my wife nuts.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #44

I did think about your brake controller as being part of the issue. But you have so many issues did not want you to distracted from the other problems. I'm of the belief if you have a device such as this installed you would read the owner's manual to know how it operates and know it's operating properly before you drive. This your responsibility not your installer or any dealer. Your loads will require you to make adjustments to your controller.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #45

My heavy trailer experience has always been limited to goosenecks. I asked the dealer I bought from to explain how to hook up the WD hitch. Spent about 30 minutes with one of the techs there who did the initial install and clearly explained everything he was doing. After it was installed he took me on a test drive and tested the brakes by doing two very rapid stops..one from 30 mph and one from 60 mph. Didn't get into the brakes hard enough to get into the truck anti-skid. Was really impressed with how good the trailer braking was.

Still not sure it's set up completely right because my front axles show a weight reduction of almost 200 pounds compared to not having the trailer connected.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
My heavy trailer experience has always been limited to goosenecks. I asked the dealer I bought from to explain how to hook up the WD hitch. Spent about 30 minutes with one of the techs there who did the initial install and clearly explained everything he was doing. After it was installed he took me on a test drive and tested the brakes by doing two very rapid stops..one from 30 mph and one from 60 mph. Didn't get into the brakes hard enough to get into the truck anti-skid. Was really impressed with how good the trailer braking was.

Still not sure it's set up completely right because my front axles show a weight reduction of almost 200 pounds compared to not having the trailer connected.
This is border-line thread jacking. What is your front axle weight difference with and without WD hitch engaged? What is your actually tongue weight? I'm going to guess you don't have enough truck, but that's an assumption at this point.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #47

The e2 don't have any sway control at all. The e4 has sway control, Watch Video !! so trade for the e4
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
This is border-line thread jacking. What is your front axle weight difference with and without WD hitch engaged? What is your actually tongue weight? I'm going to guess you don't have enough truck, but that's an assumption at this point.
I thought the thread was about swaying, wd hitches and a lot about what dealers do or don't do.

Bye
Old 12-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I thought the thread was about swaying, wd hitches and a lot about what dealers do or don't do.

Bye
The op is asking for ideas and problem solving as to what should have been installed or missing and what could be wrong with his set up. It sounds more like the service guy at the dealer isn't up to par with his set up.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
The e2 don't have any sway control at all. The e4 has sway control, Watch Video !! so trade for the e4
You might want to check your statement,E2 has 2 point S/C upgrade to E4 for 4point! I personally find the OP likes to post lots of Words but NO Pictures of this Death Trap Setup! His Words not Mine! I also find He/She keeps asking Q's until they Fit their thinking,Not the advice of Us or others! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #51

The ranger you have should be able to tow a rood properly set up . I believe others are rite with there lack of tong weight statement. The hitch they sold you in theory would work good but the rear of a for ranger has no weight I watched three grown men pick up the back of one and slide it into a parking spot. So the weight distributing hitch just made it worse because it removed weight off the rear axle. I would recommend that you try buying just a sway bar I attached a link below. I had a pop up camper that used to do the same thing if I was you I would run 2 one in each side.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57521-Ol.../dp/B00074Q29W

2016 wildwood xlite 272qbxl
2004 f150 5.4liter
ohio xlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #52

Bikendan, your comment "I could never do anything like that. In fact, I'm an over-researcher." has brought a smile. I'll let my DW read your post. Now she will know that there are at least two of us!

Research is like a diamond. It may be hard to find, but cherished when you do.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #53

Some great comments and useful information on this thread. I just picked up my new TT and assumed the dealer wouldn't set my combo up for me (besides installing the WD hitch). I conducted researched through this forum, TV owners manual, and other online resources, on how to keep my family and others on the road safe. This led to installing a better Curt hitch receiver, new stiffer shocks, poly bushings for the sway bars, brake controller, trans temp gauge, etc. My point is you shouldn't rely on others to look out for you...especially a dealer. I'm so glad you are okay and am not trying to be harsh BTW. Just take all of this advice and apply it to getting you set up safely, and maybe apply it elsewhere in your life.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #54

I always hate posts where people tell people to buy a different tow vehicle.

But in your case I would say get rid of that baby truck and buy a real Ford truck. First of all I have no problem with old trucks I have owned many but if I read your post correctly your tow vehicle is about 15 years old. Come on, towing and braking take it's toll even on the brand new trucks. Listen to other posters that recommended a better tow vehicle. Sorry I believe you did listen and you are buying a F 150. Smart move. Stop wasting your time and $ messing around with hitch weight, equalizer's brake controller's ETC ETC. Just make sure you get a good truck with good rubber and a equalizing hitch with sway control hooked up properly. Hook up and roll watch your tranny temp, engine temp, and all other system's. That 180 you did I don't think a brake controller would have helped. Been there done that.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #55

Suppose this is revising an old thread, and taboo, but part of me thinks one with as vital information as there is here, deserves a regular bump.

I've come to find there's a real lack of knowledge (including my own) present in most things today. This is a shift in culture and how we interact with "smart" things. I learned to drive in a rwd, manual pickup that hadn't ever heard of ABS. Mashing on the brakes was unheard of. So while due diligence is something that should be part of any purchase, it's less and less common, and sometimes not as apparent as other might think. Add to that a fair amount of trust (misplaced in my opinion) when we make a purchase, especially a big one, and there is a recipe for disaster. Good luck to everyone out on the road. Thought a visual might make sense for anyone that stumbles across this one.

thewaymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #56
Site Team

I don't normally like bumping old threads, but I have to say that that's an excellent depiction of how important weight distribution is in towing.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #57

Wow, just wow. Glad I have not been close to that on the road.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #58

To all those that say get a bigger truck, it doesn't help. Watch this video at about the 7:22 point. That crew cab F350 diesel and built in sway control about goes into the wall with only 5000# in tow because of wrong tongue weight.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #59

From my favorite engineering study on sway conducted in Great Brittan where they call sway snaking. The OPs experience proves the studies conclusion. Friction based sway control is good UNTIL you exceed the amount of energy the control mechanism can absorb.

If you go find and read the entire study, they conclude that increasing the TV weight does help control sway, but the impact is marginal. Insufficient tongue weight and speed when used with ball style hitches are the major contributors to sway.

I am waiting for someone to generate a study like the one above with a Hensley or ProPride hitch.

From the study:
As mentioned in 2.2.7.1, anti-snaking devices incorporating a friction damper at the tow ball provide a fixed level of coulomb friction. This means that there is a constant level of energy dissipation per oscillation cycle, which implies that the equivalent linear damping decreases as the amplitude increases. There is a clear danger here, that the friction level will be sufficient for low amplitude stability but insufficient for high amplitude stability. The possibility arises that the coupled combination will become unstable as an immediate consequence of a particular disturbance.

Two more U-Tubes:

Note that in the first movie, when the guy twists the trailer, the effect on the "TV" is the same as what you see in the post by thewaymans.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, hitch, sway, weight