Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
I'm no expert but if you have a lot of semi truck traffic where you are towing depressed wheel tracks give the feeling of wandering on the highway.
That could do it. I was on side streets, state 2 lane hwy and multi lane freeway. It was noticeably one all types of road with varying traffic patterns.

2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #32

We've been towing with our F-150 Ecoboost for 2 years now and have been noticing the "swishing" feeling whenever we get to 60 mph. We also have the Equalizer WD hitch, which was recommended by our RV dealer. The truck handles the weight just fine. We've been over mountains a few times and it didn't struggle at all. But we couldn't figure out the other problem. We made adjustments to the hitch, moved weight around in the trailer, kept our P rated tires at max. recommended psi, etc. We finally gave up and got some BFG Rugged Terrain tires with 10 ply sidewalls and an E load rating. We're getting ready to take our first trip, although it won't be very far. The tires are set at 35 psi for running around town. They are rated for 80 psi. Can anyone tell me what I should set them at for towing our trailer? Fully loaded, it weighs about 8100 lbs. The truck can tow 11,300. If this fixes our problem, I'll let you know and yes, this is an expensive experiment, but having the added strength in the sidewalls give us peace-of-mind

Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri330 View Post
We've been towing with our F-150 Ecoboost for 2 years now and have been noticing the "swishing" feeling whenever we get to 60 mph. We also have the Equalizer WD hitch, which was recommended by our RV dealer. The truck handles the weight just fine. We've been over mountains a few times and it didn't struggle at all. But we couldn't figure out the other problem. We made adjustments to the hitch, moved weight around in the trailer, kept our P rated tires at max. recommended psi, etc. We finally gave up and got some BFG Rugged Terrain tires with 10 ply sidewalls and an E load rating. We're getting ready to take our first trip, although it won't be very far. The tires are set at 35 psi for running around town. They are rated for 80 psi. Can anyone tell me what I should set them at for towing our trailer? Fully loaded, it weighs about 8100 lbs. The truck can tow 11,300. If this fixes our problem, I'll let you know and yes, this is an expensive experiment, but having the added strength in the sidewalls give us peace-of-mind
I had 10 ply (load range E) LT Michelin tires installed last year. Called Michelin tech support to see what psi should be maintained when towing. I was told it is best to inflate to Ford recommended psi which is 40 on our F150.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Would experiment in 5# or 10# increases up to the sidewall max provided your wheels are good for the 80#. If you find the sway stops somewhere in between that's where I'd run.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Please don't forget to update us on the results. I may be following g the same path to ultimately fix my issue.

Thanks,
Jason
2014 Montana 356TBF
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #36

Quote:
When I upgraded to Michelin LT on our Expedition, I found 65 psi worked best for it towing - 40 psi when not for a little bit softer ride

2009 Crossroad Sunset Trail 31QB - traded
2008 Expedition EL
calsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #37

Hello All
Thanks again for your help and suggestions on trying to isolate my problem. I fixed it the most economical way possible. I just bought a new F350 with the Powerstroke. I really liked my Yukon, but if I'm going to enjoy the TT I want to be able to pull it confidantly anywhere I decide to go.

I'll post pics of the truck and TT after we go camping for the 4th of July
2014 Montana 356TBF
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Allis View Post
Thanks again for your help and suggestions on trying to isolate my problem. I fixed it the most economical way possible. I just bought a new F350 with the Powerstroke.

That should do the trick !!!

Congrats on the new truck !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
DDC

If that does not work? New trailer too!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #40

Only thing better would've been buying a Dodge! Congrats on the new truck! Should definitely help with the wandering!!!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote