Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Are you sure they use the stickers... I am not the weight police but when I cite for registration and other such violations we go off the REGISTERED weight of the vehicle (the number on your reg card) not the weight on the truck. My father used to have his trucks down weighted below CDL status after it became impossible to get a CDL driver to drive his dump trucks. It was near an issue with them.

I will ask our motor carrier guy and see what he goes off when I see him next.
-Pat

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #12

I know it doesn't work this way but using the stickers, instead of actual weights, to determine whether you are legal or not, would be the same as being pulled over when you were under the posted limit and given a speeding ticket because your vehicle has the ability to exceed the posted limit.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Are you sure they use the stickers... I am not the weight police but when I cite for registration and other such violations we go off the REGISTERED weight of the vehicle (the number on your reg card) not the weight on the truck. My father used to have his trucks down weighted below CDL status after it became impossible to get a CDL driver to drive his dump trucks. It was near an issue with them.

I will ask our motor carrier guy and see what he goes off when I see him next.
-Pat
At this point I'm not sure of anything. Ask 6 "experts" and get 6 different answers, but this is what I'm using:

The PA code for Class A:

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

And PennDot's definition from the commercial drivers manual:

Gross vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). the maximum GVW specified by the manufacturer for a single vehicle plus its load.

I doubt they use a different definition for commercial and noncommercial licenses. To me it seems clear. They mean the number on the sticker and not the number on the registration card.
N3HCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkychuck View Post
I know it doesn't work this way but using the stickers, instead of actual weights, to determine whether you are legal or not, would be the same as being pulled over when you were under the posted limit and given a speeding ticket because your vehicle has the ability to exceed the posted limit.
It might work that way if vehicles had a maximum speed rating and your license specified how high that could be for your class of license.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #15
Toy-aholic

As long as your wife is with you...you add the two classes together 26001 + 26001=(52002) so you'll be fine!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
At this point I'm not sure of anything. Ask 6 "experts" and get 6 different answers, but this is what I'm using:

The PA code for Class A:

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

And PennDot's definition from the commercial drivers manual:

Gross vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). the maximum GVW specified by the manufacturer for a single vehicle plus its load.

I doubt they use a different definition for commercial and noncommercial licenses. To me it seems clear. They mean the number on the sticker and not the number on the registration card.
I agree, ten different answers depending on who you ask... I am a traffic officer but I did not deal with non-commercial CDL's enough to make even a guess... Our Motor carrier guy emailed me this with your question as follows:

Dan,
Not sure if you have an answer or might know who to ask but here it goes...
Got a guy that has a F350 dually currently PA registered at 14,000lbs GVWR. He has a trailer (RV 5th wheel) he tows registered at 13,615lbs. This puts him at 27,615 and needing a non-commercial class A so I can tell (over 10,000lbs trailer and GCWR over 26,001). His question: if and or when he downgrades the registered weight of the truck to get bellow the 26,000 on the combo do you cite weight violations from the registered weight of the yellow sticker on the door? He was under the impression (and I have no idea) if he lowered the trucks GVWR it would not matter as the cops use the trucks sticker on the door (factory weight) for weight rating not what the truck is registered with PA as being able to carry. Thanks.

His response:

Pat,
he is not allowed to down register a vehicle to try to get away from the requirements. We look at both of the weights but the Manufactures weight rating on the door is the one we use. And if he downgrades his weight on the truck he will then most likely be overweight, it also sounds like he might want to register the vehicle in combination. Which would allow him to pull a trailer without being overweight.

Dan

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I agree, ten different answers depending on who you ask... I am a traffic officer but I did not deal with non-commercial CDL's enough to make even a guess... Our Motor carrier guy emailed me this with your question as follows:

Pat,
he is not allowed to down register a vehicle to try to get away from the requirements. We look at both of the weights but the Manufactures weight rating on the door is the one we use. And if he downgrades his weight on the truck he will then most likely be overweight, it also sounds like he might want to register the vehicle in combination. Which would allow him to pull a trailer without being overweight.

Dan
That's the same thing I've bee hearing. I know I also need the register the truck as a Class 8 instead of Class 5 because the trailer is over 10K.

I think changing campers is a done deal. We're going back to the dealer this afternoon to check it out again. For us, at our advanced age, (yes, we are a couple of the previously mentioned "old farts") it seems the easiest way to stay legal. Life is full of compromises, this is just one more.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

It's the same in Maryland a gross-combined weight greater than 26,001 lbs. requires a non-commercial class A license. I've emailed with the friendly gov't folks and they said it's definitely gross weights.

I have the same hassles- 1) finding a testing center that knows what they're doing for the non-commercial class A and 2) finding someone to go with me that has that class of license or higher.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

I would be careful on this because it sounds like an out for the insurance company if you were ever in an accident. Not saying they would, but you never know. Some might view an incorrectly registered vehicle combo as one that isn't registered at all. Beware the corporate greedmongers.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I would be careful on this because it sounds like an out for the insurance company if you were ever in an accident. Not saying they would, but you never know. Some might view an incorrectly registered vehicle combo as one that isn't registered at all. Beware the corporate greedmongers.
That's just it. Most cops prob would not even know you needed a special license. I could see the insurance boning you though for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8