Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Drop hitch recommendation for toad

The center of my motorhome receiver is 21" high and the baseplate tow bar height is 13 1/2" for a difference of 7 1/2". Am I better off going with a 6" drop hitch and have a slight upward angle on the tow bar or a 8" drop and have a very slight downward angle?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #2

They both have advantages.

The 8" drop would likely mean that the tow bar would tend to push the rear of the motorhome down a little under braking - adding a bit of weight to the rear wheels...which is a good thing (toads pushing up on the rear wheels can dramatically reduce driver control of the combination, which is why you need a drop hitch in the first place.)

On the other hand, the 6" drop is pretty close and might give you more ground clearance over curbs and things. Once you've added the drop hitch and the tow bar, you've got some low hanging hardware pretty far behind the rear wheels.

Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
They both have advantages.

The 8" drop would likely mean that the tow bar would tend to push the rear of the motorhome down a little under braking - adding a bit of weight to the rear wheels...which is a good thing (toads pushing up on the rear wheels can dramatically reduce driver control of the combination, which is why you need a drop hitch in the first place.)

On the other hand, the 6" drop is pretty close and might give you more ground clearance over curbs and things. Once you've added the drop hitch and the tow bar, you've got some low hanging hardware pretty far behind the rear wheels.

Dave
That is really good info on the braking. Yes, I am a bit concerned with the 8" drop and bottoming out. The toad is a Honda Fit at 2500 lbs with no braking system (most states we will travel in are ok with no brakes on the toad if it is under 3000 lbs) so I am thinking it would not push upward much on the rear of the MH.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwind22 View Post
The toad is a Honda Fit at 2500 lbs with no braking system (most states we will travel in are ok with no brakes on the toad if it is under 3000 lbs) so I am thinking it would not push upward much on the rear of the MH.
I tow a Honda HR-V - slightly larger version of the Fit, but still about 2500 lbs. I travel a lot in the western mountains and I wouldn't consider towing it without a braking system (I've been reasonably happy with the stay-n-play duo...) I'm not as concerned about being legal as I am about being safe but one accident in a state which requires brakes could ruin your whole day...or year.

I'd certainly recommend the 8" drop if you're not going to have supplemental braking...

Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

I disagree with the 8" drop. I had a 6" that brought my tow bars to low attach level, and found them causing problems on bumpy terrain. I'm switching to a 4" for a nearly level angle to the towed.
I think in your case the 6" would be about right.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

The general rule of thumb is to try and keep the tow bar plus or minus 3 inches to being level and you should do just find. I would go with the 6 inch drop just for the clearance.
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Check the tolerance for your tow bar. I would go with the least drop as possible. I initially used a 6" drop and was dragging quite often with a 4" drop I am within tolerance and do not have as much problem with tow bar dragging.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Sorry to jump on this a week later. I've always understood that the toad should never be higher than the motorhome (attach points!) due to there being a slight chance the front end of the toad being pushed up towards the motorhome during an emergency stop.

Agreeing with others, the closer to level, the lower the influence the toad has on the motorhome through bumps (0° has no influence). I've also had dragging issues when using too large of a drop. So, I'd say use the drop hitch that gets you closest to level without having the toad higher than the motorhome.

Tags
hitch, toad