Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Drop shackles

Well, after blowing all 12 quarts of oil out the ICP sensor on our 2004 Ford diesel on I-80, followed by a string of emissions and turbo error codes, we've decided it's time for a new truck. The problem is, all the new trucks sit much higher than our '04, causing clearance issues.

Since it'll be a daily driver for me in the Northeast 4x4 is mandatory. We found that the GMC duallies sit an inch or two lower than their SRW trucks because they have smaller rims and we found a 2016 holdover at a good price. But it's still 2.5" higher than our old Ford (one inch higher at the cargo bed level plus 1.5" taller bed walls).

Since our driveway is a convoluted nightmare, we need BOTH 6+ inches between the trailer and the bed rails AND a level trailer so the back doesn't drag. We bought a hitch that raises up 1.5" higher than our old one, so that solves the bed rail problem. Plan A was to raise our 8289WS with a Dexter lift kit to level the trailer.

BUT, the Dexter kit specifically says it's not for Torflex axles with the 3" flange and that's exactly what's under our 8289WS, so lifting the trailer is out (it's still under warranty, so no frame welding, etc.). That leaves Plan B: lower the truck.

The GMC 3500 has a lot of bed rise, or "flare", at the back. We're planning on installing a pair of 2" drop shackles which we expect to lower the rear of the truck about 1.5". That'll leave a net result of the trailer sitting only 1" higher at the nose, which should be adequate for rear end clearance in the driveway.

Not sure I see any other options that give us both bed rail clearance and trailer bumper clearance. After the trailer warranty expires we can always remove the drop shackles and look into custom work to raise the trailer. Has anybody else here installed 2" drop shackles, and if so, how did they work out for you?

Dudley
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Site Team

The dealer is installing a 2"/3" lowering kit on our new GMC for the same reason. It lowers the TV 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. That's enough to get me back to level once I lower the hitch to have 6" of clearance between the rails and overhang.

I've read where the lowering kits on the GM vehicles work great.