Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATsXLR View Post
Ependydad,

I take it you have a Blue Ox bed-saver installed?
I've been looking for "protection" myself, but I've installed a Curt Q20 hitch and Butch doesn't have anything as yet (due to the punched head design, I'd presume). Over-all are you confident with it's design. Hate to ask, but have you had to use it?

Thanks again-
I actually do not have either. And, guess I should advertise that better.

I don't have the Blue Ox due to the weight and making the coupler more unwieldy for installing and removing the hitch (I do it on a fairly regular basis when we need the full truck bed). But, in theory (and from reading of people who have used it) - I am confident of the design. Like I've harped on - I like that it's always engaged and ready to catch a drop.

I don't have the Butch's catcher due to not agreeing with the fundamentals of the design. If my attention was taken away and I missed a step, I don't see why this wouldn't or couldn't be one of the steps.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Bay Area, Northern California
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I actually do not have either. And, guess I should advertise that better.

I don't have the Blue Ox due to the weight and making the coupler more unwieldy for installing and removing the hitch (I do it on a fairly regular basis when we need the full truck bed). But, in theory (and from reading of people who have used it) - I am confident of the design. Like I've harped on - I like that it's always engaged and ready to catch a drop.

I don't have the Butch's catcher due to not agreeing with the fundamentals of the design. If my attention was taken away and I missed a step, I don't see why this wouldn't or couldn't be one of the steps.
Thanks Ependydad for the clarification. I too like the Blue Ox design intent and also have grief with the additional weight, as it is I have a fun time breaking loose the rubber bond from the head to the carrier body after the silicone dries out, now add 40 additional pounds.
I'm going to give Butch a shout to see what's available (thanks OldCoot!).
__________________

__________________
Tony & Dari-
2014 XLR Thunderbolt 300x12
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn Mega CTD
ATsXLR is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
When looking at hitches for my truck, "hitch malfunction" couldn't have happened with the units I looked at, as they are designed to mechanically prevent this. If the hitch is used as designed, the locks would prevent the kingpin from coming loose. I'd be surprised if there were hitches sold that were not this way.

A component failure could of course cause it, but then there is obvious evidence (in the failed component).
__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #34
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATsXLR View Post
Thanks Ependydad for the clarification. I too like the Blue Ox design intent and also have grief with the additional weight, as it is I have a fun time breaking loose the rubber bond from the head to the carrier body after the silicone dries out, now add 40 additional pounds.
I'm going to give Butch a shout to see what's available (thanks OldCoot!).
I've heard Butch is good to work with and may help fabricate something specific for your hitch.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #35
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I actually do not have either. And, guess I should advertise that better.

I don't have the Blue Ox due to the weight and making the coupler more unwieldy for installing and removing the hitch (I do it on a fairly regular basis when we need the full truck bed). But, in theory (and from reading of people who have used it) - I am confident of the design. Like I've harped on - I like that it's always engaged and ready to catch a drop.

I don't have the Butch's catcher due to not agreeing with the fundamentals of the design. If my attention was taken away and I missed a step, I don't see why this wouldn't or couldn't be one of the steps.
There are ways to modify things to make sure you do what is required, like attaching the emergency brake cable to the rod on the hitch catcher so that to secure the cable, you have to insert the rod.
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Just another example of why I bought the 'slide-bar' type of hitch.
There is no way to hook up wrong, and once that bar slams into position behind the pin, it ain't goin nowhere.
Simple, and foolproof.
__________________
bakken is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just another example of why I bought the 'slide-bar' type of hitch.
There is no way to hook up wrong, and once that bar slams into position behind the pin, it ain't goin nowhere.
Simple, and foolproof.
My Reese also has a positive lock that must be seated to flip the lock bar over the handle, but I also added my version of Butch's catch just in case something breaks. Everything is mechanical and mechanical things break.
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My Reese also has a positive lock that must be seated to flip the lock bar over the handle, but I also added my version of Butch's catch just in case something breaks. Everything is mechanical and mechanical things break.


In you theory you should have a hitch catcher behind the hitch catcher then ?
__________________
TURBS is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There are ways to modify things to make sure you do what is required, like attaching the emergency brake cable to the rod on the hitch catcher so that to secure the cable, you have to insert the rod.
Yeah that will work - just makes you perform another step to make sure you are latched up
__________________
B47 is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just another example of why I bought the 'slide-bar' type of hitch.
There is no way to hook up wrong, and once that bar slams into position behind the pin, it ain't goin nowhere.
Simple, and foolproof.
I'd be willing to be that far more dropped fivers are user error than mechanical failure. Someone missed a step somewhere...

For my B&W hitch, you can't close the handle if you're not hitched properly. It just can't be done- it is impossible. But, over on RV.net, someone with a B&W hitch dropped his fiver because he forgot to close the handle (worse, he followed instructions and previously pinned the handle in the open position).

Things happen.

The Butch's catcher gives you an element of protection against that. I just personally think while it's 5-times the cost that the Blue Ox product gives you more.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.