Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Dual Friction sway

Hi All: I have a 2012 3001W Windjammer and tow with a Chevy 1500. I have a single friction sway on the unit at this time. I will be towing to Florida on 95 South and concerned about the Tractor trailers speeding past. I usually drive 55-60 while the trucks are always 70-75. I used single sway on my last 27 foot unit and had to watch the mirrors constantly for the trucks. Would adding another friction sway be overkill and would it be to restrictive or would it be a good addition?. Thanks in advance for the help; Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

I have read that it is recommended on TT's over 25' have 2 friction sway controls. I have a 28' Rockwood TT and have installed 2 friction sway controls myself, and have had NO sway at all. I was concerned with high cross winds traveling through Kansas and Oklahoma(which we drove through) and had no problems. I drive at 55 to 60mph always and noticed other TT's along the way have the wiggle, while I did not. I visited many forums and read alot of towing information before I added mine. Good luck.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
Hi All: I have a 2012 3001W Windjammer and tow with a Chevy 1500. I have a single friction sway on the unit at this time. I will be towing to Florida on 95 South and concerned about the Tractor trailers speeding past. I usually drive 55-60 while the trucks are always 70-75. I used single sway on my last 27 foot unit and had to watch the mirrors constantly for the trucks. Would adding another friction sway be overkill and would it be to restrictive or would it be a good addition?. Thanks in advance for the help; Frank
I used dual friction sway controls on all 7 of our rv trailers and our racecar trailer since 1975. It makes a big difference. I always tightened them as tight as I could get them. They always made noise in turning. The last 31' trailer we had, I put Air Tabs on the back (up both sides and across the top) and it reduced the semi trailer effects at least 75% if not more. Highly recommend dual controls and the Air Tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff 831RLSS Air Tabs 1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	40433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff 831RLSS Air Tabs 2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	40434  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Had a single friction bar on my previous 20' TT. I too had to always be checking my mirrors for big rigs, as they cause quite a bit of "suck and push" as they passed. Now I have a 24' TT... Switched to a 4-pt Equal-i-zer... Zero sway issues under any condition. And no turning restrictions either.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Eaglelover,
I truly believe in the double sway. Like these other guys, it works great for a fraction of the cost of what a Helmsley hitch would cost with the same results, no sway.
Days camped 2013 -39
rltsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

I had a 31' Holiday Rambler with a single sway bar for years and like you was always checking my mirrors for approaching trucks. I now have a 3008 Windjammer with a 4 point Equalizer hitch and my sway problems are a thing of the past. Some say it is the V front on the trailer but I think the difference is in the hitch.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

I use 2 friction sway bars on my 26tbss. I find my approach a bit more than opinion. The instructions on the sway bar gives a weight limit for the TT of 6,000 pounds your 27 footer is certainly to heavy for one sway bar.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

I have 2 friction sway controls on my 3001w. It made a great improvement. i have not noticed any sways since I installed the second. When we only had one friction sway bar it was always a white knuckle ride. I would highly recommend installing the second sway control. We have put more then 15,000 miles on the TT over the last 2 years.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the responses. I will add the second control before the trip south. Sounds like everyone is in agreement.

Question for OldCoot. I saw those wings several years ago but have not heard about them again until your post. Where are they available?? Thanks; Frank
Old 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #10

Somebody post a pic of your hitch with the second friction sway bar setup. I use 1 on the curb side but probably need another on the street side. I'd like to see someone else's before I do mine.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Somebody post a pic of your hitch with the second friction sway bar setup. I use 1 on the curb side but probably need another on the street side. I'd like to see someone else's before I do mine.
Only picture I have is of the hitch head with the trailer and wd bars in place, but the hitch has the sway control anchors on both sides of the hitch head. You have to turn the drivers side sway bar (removable part) upside down for it to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	40463  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

Curious, did your hitch come with the sway bar ball mounts on both sides or did you weld the driver's side on? I think I have seen sway bars that come left handed as well.
Another question; instead of turning it upside down, couldn't you just turn it facing backwards? Wouldn't it work the same way?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Curious, did your hitch come with the sway bar ball mounts on both sides or did you weld the driver's side on? I think I have seen sway bars that come left handed as well.
Another question; instead of turning it upside down, couldn't you just turn it facing backwards? Wouldn't it work the same way?
Welded the extra mount on the hitch and no you cannot reverse the sway bar as the socket is 90° off. It is very easy to switch, just pull it out of the sway bar and rotate it 180° and slide it back in.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Dual Friction Sway

As OldCoot said just turn the bar over for left hand usage. You can also remove the bolt and tension handle that holds the plate and turn it over, then the only difference would be the manufacturers name upside down Frank
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
My hitch came with ball mounts on both sides. You will have to take the sway bar apart the front side will go on upside down and the back half will need to go on backwards. If you can find a left hand sway bar it will fit without any alterations.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
My hitch came with ball mounts on both sides. You will have to take the sway bar apart the front side will go on upside down and the back half will need to go on backwards. If you can find a left hand sway bar it will fit without any alterations.
Since I've been towing rv trailers (1975), I've never seen a left hand sway bar. Too easy to make a rh into a lh, I wouldn't really consider it as an alteration, just an assy change.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
As OldCoot said just turn the bar over for left hand usage. You can also remove the bolt and tension handle that holds the plate and turn it over, then the only difference would be the manufacturers name upside down Frank
On all of mine, that can't be done as the top bolt with the handle has always been 7/16-20 and the bottom bolt was a 3/8-16, but you could always re-tap if it was important and change the 3/8 with a 7/16. I just never bothered.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #18

Throw the extra sway bar on it. I travel that section of I-95 a couple times a year and once you approach Savannah heading south you will encounter cross winds off the coast. The cross winds plus big rigs will definitely make a second bar helpful. I used to keep a second bar just for I-95 to FL before I switched to the Andersen. When I installed the second bar I just flipped a standard bar because I could never find a left-hand specific sway bar.
intensepisgahbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #19

Picture of dual sway, just set parts in place without hooking up TV
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
We have a 2012 30WFKSS V-Lite and have added the 2nd bar as we live in western North Dakota where 7 of every 10 vehicles is a semi truck, it has helped immensley with sway from the trucks and our wonderful North Dakota wind. You won't be sorry if you add it.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway