Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
I use crossfire, when tire pressure drops 10 psi valve closes so both tires don't go flat as some people have stated earlier. After the numerous posts where people with TPMS had blowouts with out warning I thought the extra money was not worth it IMHO. To each their own, I have only had them on for 6 months so no long term experience yet. Good Luck!

Sorry but you have fallen into the "blowout" trap where any tire failure is called a blowout.

Limiting our comparison to air pressure loss.
With Crossfire
One tire gets puncture and starts leaking. Crossfire lowers pressure in the good tire by 10 psi but punctured tire continues to leak. As time goes by the load from the leaking tire is transferred to the inflated tire till the inflated tire is now carrying 200% of the tire load on that side of the axle. BUT the driver has no indication there is any problem so continues down the road till the overloaded tire overheats and it also fails.

One tire gets puncture and starts leaking. TPM sends warning to driver within first minute of the leak starting when the tire still has more air pressure than is required to support the load. The driver can immediately start looking for safe place to pull over and soon stops. Maybe before the leaking tire has lost 20% of its air.
The un-punctured tore is not damaged from running overloaded and low on air.
The punctured tire may possibly be repaired and returned to service.

While the following are about trailers the info on run low vs belt separation still applies.

Tire failures and a trip to the scales (CAT)

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

pressure, tire