Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System

So is anybody using a Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System?
and if so what brand are you using?
looking for a better way for my dually, as trying to check the pressure on the rear tires is a pain
thanks

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Always Learning

I debated these for a while but ultimately ended with the feeling that I didn't put enough miles on the truck to justify it.

Instead, I opted for a TPMS from TST so that I can know what all 6 truck tires are at a glance.

When it's time to air up the tires, I use a straight dual-head air chuck and the same for a digital tire pressure gauge (straight dual-head).

The biggest thing- when I have the tires rotated or any shop does work to remove the wheels, I make sure to tell them to ensure that the inner dual valve stem lines up with a hole in the rim so that my tools reach through.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

The biggest thing- when I have the tires rotated or any shop does work to remove the wheels, I make sure to tell them to ensure that the inner dual valve stem lines up with a hole in the rim so that my tools reach through.
As a career mechanic I find it sad you need to tell them that. Hang the first tire, it takes literally no time to set the outer valve stem opposite the inner valve stem and hang the outer wheel.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
As a career mechanic I find it sad you need to tell them that. Hang the first tire, it takes literally no time to set the outer valve stem opposite the inner valve stem and hang the outer wheel.
You know what they say about signs and warnings... they're there for a reason.

That one or two times that I didn't, I paid the price for it.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
So is anybody using a Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System?
and if so what brand are you using?
looking for a better way for my dually, as trying to check the pressure on the rear tires is a pain
thanks
As a tire engineer I see little to no advantage and some definite downside with the tire equalization gizmos.

If/when you get a puncture or leak in one tire BOTH tires will have the air pressure reduced till the limit is reached then one tire will continue to leak. Now you have an underinflated tire being 100% overloaded. This can lead to damage that may result on both tires ultimately failing.

The gizmos do not provide timely warning. You can still drive hundreds of miles before you stop and check tire inflation. At that point it is too late. BOTH tires will be scrap.

TPMS will provide timely warning to the driver on low air pressure.

If you are having problems getting to your valves to inflate or install TPMS simply use the appropriate hose extenders with the outer end firmly attached (pop rivet) as seen below.

When inflating tires be sure to support the hose when pressing the air chuck to end of hose so not to over stress the rivets or hose mount.

I have over 30k miles on above and similar with no problems.
I got my hoses on Amazon.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Do you have a recommendation on TPMS system for dual wheel trailer? They don't interfere with vehicle system or navigation system wifi, do they? We have a 2011 Wildwood and just bought a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat. Thanks in advance for any tips!
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

In my experience of several years running a dually, the tire equilization accessory defeats one of the advantages of duals. If one goes flat ... they both will. On two occasions I had one of the duals go flat ... one due to a valve stem and one a screw. I was able to continue on at a reduced speed to a more convenient place to fix the flat. If I had had the equilizers added I would have been sitting right where it all started and neither place was pretty.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
Do you have a recommendation on TPMS system for dual wheel trailer? They don't interfere with vehicle system or navigation system wifi, do they? We have a 2011 Wildwood and just bought a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat. Thanks in advance for any tips!
I bought a TPMS back before I started writing my blog. I have Tire Trakker and like the Lifetime warranty, user replaceable sensor batteries. Battery operated monitor and especially the Early warning from the "Rapid" air loss.

Full disclosure. They sponsor the blog I write, but since I do not own the blog (I write for the blog owner RVTravel.com) I receive zero income and no commission from any sponsorship or sales of TPMS.

I do have a post on "Best TPMS" where I identify the features I think should be considered before purchase. There is no single brand or type TPMS that is "Best" for everyone as we all have different wants and needs.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

It's Tire Traker.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

I use crossfire, when tire pressure drops 10 psi valve closes so both tires don't go flat as some people have stated earlier. After the numerous posts where people with TPMS had blowouts with out warning I thought the extra money was not worth it IMHO. To each their own, I have only had them on for 6 months so no long term experience yet. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
I use crossfire, when tire pressure drops 10 psi valve closes so both tires don't go flat as some people have stated earlier. After the numerous posts where people with TPMS had blowouts with out warning I thought the extra money was not worth it IMHO. To each their own, I have only had them on for 6 months so no long term experience yet. Good Luck!

Sorry but you have fallen into the "blowout" trap where any tire failure is called a blowout.

Limiting our comparison to air pressure loss.
With Crossfire
One tire gets puncture and starts leaking. Crossfire lowers pressure in the good tire by 10 psi but punctured tire continues to leak. As time goes by the load from the leaking tire is transferred to the inflated tire till the inflated tire is now carrying 200% of the tire load on that side of the axle. BUT the driver has no indication there is any problem so continues down the road till the overloaded tire overheats and it also fails.

With TPMS
One tire gets puncture and starts leaking. TPM sends warning to driver within first minute of the leak starting when the tire still has more air pressure than is required to support the load. The driver can immediately start looking for safe place to pull over and soon stops. Maybe before the leaking tire has lost 20% of its air.
The un-punctured tore is not damaged from running overloaded and low on air.
The punctured tire may possibly be repaired and returned to service.

While the following are about trailers the info on run low vs belt separation still applies.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1204540

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1204367

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1204388

Tags
pressure, tire