Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #21

I don't think HP or Torque will be the problem the 3.5 Eco Boost has plenty of both. I guess the first problem was with the truck didn't know that their was 3 tow packages, I just assumed a tow package was a tow package.
uncle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle46 View Post
!st rule broken I brought it to the RV dealer and asked to see RV’s that I can safely tow...

I haven’t taken Delivery of the RV yet but it sure looks like I am going to be way overloaded.
Time for my lawyer hat...
(I unfortunately have experience with new trailers and fine print)

Who told you that you could pull the trailer? If they told you you can tow the trailer, then they screwed up.
IMHO, cancel the trailer, unless a different truck is an option.
Do you have a witness that can verify that the dealer/salesman told you it was ok?

I sure hope there's no fine print anywhere...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Engineer of Crazy Train

I would keep the trips short and light until you get something a little bigger. I don't think you will be too far over. Are you located in flat country or hilly country?

I think proportionally, we are in the same boat while towing. I don't know if you have had much towing experience in the past, but because I have towed since I was a kid, my current setup doesn't bother me.

I guess the dealers you dealt with are not the same ones I dealt with. Mine were very concerned about tow ratings. Then again, not everyone shows up with a diesel liberty wanting to tow a travel trailer. I guess it is a valuable lesson learned.

Another big thing, try not to be scared and white knuckled. You are just going to panic and it won't be pretty. Go slow, no distractions, until you are used to the feel.

Too bad you didn't get the max tow package. I think it would have been a little more comfortable for you. Can't go back now.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #24

The only thing I can add is that there are many on this site who are pulling a lot more camper with a lot less truck.
There is no doubt that you will be on the very edge of your towing capacities, but like you said, power is not a problem.
With a good WDH you probably would have no real problems with normal driving caution. No 75 mph stuff.
If you had max tow, there would be no issues at all. Too bad that the truck salesmen aren't smarter about informing buyers of the options available.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #25

Salesman told me my truck could handle it. I asked to see only campers that my truck could pull safely. I did have to sign a release stating that I could not hold them responsible if my TV couldn't handle it. I'm just screwed. I guess I'll try to see how much of a beating I'll take trading the truck in and getting another one. I will have no choice but to try towing it to a site that is close by and than work on a new truck. I'm about ready to just call it quits.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Salesman told me my truck could handle it. I asked to see only campers that my truck could pull safely. I did have to sign a release stating that I could not hold them responsible if my TV couldn't handle it. I'm just screwed. I guess I'll try to see how much of a beating I'll take trading the truck in and getting another one. I will have no choice but to try towing it to a site that is close by and than work on a new truck. I'm about ready to just call it quits.
If you haven't taken possession of the camper yet, see what you can do to get out of the deal. The dealership and the salesmen mislead you. Many states laws have clauses that you can back out of a deal within so many days. Even if you need an attorney, those fees can be cheaper than having to buy a new truck.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #27

uncle, if you are considering a new truck, you might want to wait until next year. I am hearing they might have a 5 liter EcoBeast !!!
I cannot imagine the torque that would have.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #28

I bought the RV in Canada, My wife is Native so no HST big savings. I bought the truck in Florida, I am researching the laws in Canada. I have not taken delivery yet Thursday the 4th of April is my delivery date but we did close on it and had to get it insured. So I am pretty sure its paid for now because my first payment is due on the 24th of April. We closed on the 24th of March.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #29

I upgraded to the michelin light truck 275 65 18 from my factory p rated Bridgestone that made a huge difference. Actually ride better than factory tires when aired down as a Daily driver.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #30

I wouldn't get too worked up about this. You will be right at your towing limit with the truck, both at tow rating and GVWR. As long as you don't exceed you rear axle rating I don't see what the problem is. LT tires will be a good move. I would certainly try it before trading it.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I wouldn't get too worked up about this. You will be right at your towing limit with the truck, both at tow rating and GVWR. As long as you don't exceed you rear axle rating I don't see what the problem is. LT tires will be a good move. I would certainly try it before trading it.
I second that thought.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #32

I will be trying it when I pick it up. Driving about 60 miles to the RV site. Now to keep the wife from overloading with junk like she did with our Houseboat. This is going to be a job because she tries to load with everything but the kitchen sink. The second thing is finding some scales in the Woodstock NB area.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The second thing is finding some scales in the Woodstock NB area.
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #34

Thanks that helps allot. Found one. I will weigh the setup as Delivered than I will have an Idea how much or how little I can load if anything.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #35

What weights should I get? Front wheels, Rear wheels of truck with load and total package including trailer. Not really sure at this point.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #36
Toy-aholic

I had a very similar experience when we ordered our 31' Flagstaff TT. Had an '08 Tahoe Z71. Dealer said it would tow "no problem". While waiting many weeks for delivery I did alot of research on this forum & others. Some said I would be fine, others said no. I did not like the thought of white knuckle driving. Ended up making a killer deal on a new '10 Silverado 2500HD LB gasser, traded the Tahoe and kept the payments the same.

Towed the new Flagstaff like a dream but the gas mi. killed me. Then a few years later got the bug for a 5er...doing more research found the 2500 would do it but not as well as a diesel (for the size 5er we wanted) So...what I did and maybe you may want to concider it too...I "traded backards" found a '05 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A with 89k miles in mint cond. Did a basic even trade, knocked $20 mo. off & shortened the term by 6 mos.

Got the new 5er and wow it tows it like a dream. Went from 9 mpg. with the gasser (7500 lb TT) to 12.5 mpg in the diesel.(10k lb 5er)

think about it
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #37

I guess its something to Consider.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What weights should I get? Front wheels, Rear wheels of truck with load and total package including trailer. Not really sure at this point.
Uncle - this is from our Library. Take a look at this PDF on how to weigh.

Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #39

Thanks so much I reall feel very dumb right now, never in my life would I have thought of all this. You guys have been a great help.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #40

FWIW. My TT is 7100lbs dry and I`m towing with a V-10 Excursion with 4.30 gears! And I know it`s back there. That sounds like a lot for a 1/2 ton, unless you got the HD payload with max tow pkg. judging by the trucks GVWR you shown (7200 lbs) it is just a standard F150. that trailer will end up around 7500lbs ready to travel. that is doable if you load the trailer properly. the tongue weight should end up at apporx. 1000lbs.

You`ll want the front and rear (truck) and trailer axles with the WD hitch hooked up. these are the numbers you need. the other thing that will be nice to have is the truck all by itself without the trailer but loaded for a trip.

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote