Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Wildwood Danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 247
Duramax Allison Problem

Stopped at a stop sign this morning, put on the brakes, stopped, transmission downshifted and push us out into the intersection while brakes were still on, pushed harder on brakes, truck still tried to advance and engine died. Pulled into a parking lot and made several stops and had the same results, transmission downshifts, overpowering the brakes, apply more brake and engine dies.

We were not towing the travel trailer at the time, which was a very good thing.

Has anyone had this problem?

We made it back to Sault Ste. Marie by shifting to neutral at stop sign and have the truck at the local dealer, waiting to hear from them.
__________________

__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
Good Sams Club, Cedar Creek Sams Chapter

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny
Stopped at a stop sign this morning, put on the brakes, stopped, transmission downshifted and push us out into the intersection while brakes were still on, pushed harder on brakes, truck still tried to advance and engine died. Pulled into a parking lot and made several stops and had the same results, transmission downshifts, overpowering the brakes, apply more brake and engine dies.

We were not towing the travel trailer at the time, which was a very good thing.

Has anyone had this problem?

We made it back to Sault Ste. Marie by shifting to neutral at stop sign and have the truck at the local dealer, waiting to hear from them.
Converter is staying locked up.

Most likely the lock up solenoid bad.
Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
sounds like a computer problem, but what has me confused is that the engine was apparently delivering enough power to overwhelm the brakes. was the engine falling to idle?

the Allison is known for torque converter problems, but they usually just go into limp home mode.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
I had a friend that that happened to while driving a gasser......the torque converter would not unlock.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
I haven't heard of a gm product doing this for a long time !
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wildwood Danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 247
Both I and the navigator think we discussed if the engine idled down or not, we think it did, but don't remember for sure, was a little spooked about being pushed out into the inter section, more than likely didn't notice all we should have.

Thanks for the replies.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
Good Sams Club, Cedar Creek Sams Chapter

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Turbo, your post # 2 beat my post #4 by 1 minute.

My friend that had that happen was driving a Chevrolet Lumina.....but I imagine that is a long way from the torque converters hooked up to an Allison tranny.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Turbo, your post # 2 beat my post #4 by 1 minute.

My friend that had that happen was driving a Chevrolet Lumina.....but I imagine that is a long way from the torque converters hooked up to an Allison tranny.
Yes all those luminas , grand prix's of that vintage seemed to have that issue.

the Torque converter on an Allison is most likely bigger than a lumina tranny lol
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Wildwood Danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 247
Just got the answer to the problem from the Chev. dealer. Code P0742 traced down to a bac TCC Solenoid. Got one on the way overnite from Memphis, but we are so far away at the Canadian Border in Sault Ste. Michigan it will most likely be 2 overnites, should have it back late Wed. which is good as we need to move out of our site Thurs., no other sites available, going to be hard to move the LaCrosse with the Impala rental car if we don't get the truck back.

Thanks again for all the info.

I'll keep you informed.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
Good Sams Club, Cedar Creek Sams Chapter

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny
Just got the answer to the problem from the Chev. dealer. Code P0742 traced down to a bac TCC Solenoid. Got one on the way overnite from Memphis, but we are so far away at the Canadian Border in Sault Ste. Michigan it will most likely be 2 overnites, should have it back late Wed. which is good as we need to move out of our site Thurs., no other sites available, going to be hard to move the LaCrosse with the Impala rental car if we don't get the truck back.

Thanks again for all the info.

I'll keep you informed.
Hey for once we were right !
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.