Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #21

these are the filters I use on my nicktane and AD lift pump, I think the longer one is for the nicktane, it has the same specs as the CAT IR and I got a case for a song from a friend. So I am going to use them up, it is kind of hard for me to find the cat`s in my area unless I order them online

BTW ditch that bleed screw for a billet one and your problem that arise form these crappy plastic issues will never come to light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	47284  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
these are the filters I use on my nicktane and AD lift pump, I think the longer one is for the nicktane, it has the same specs as the CAT IR and I got a case for a song from a friend. So I am going to use them up, it is kind of hard for me to find the cat`s in my area unless I order them online

BTW ditch that bleed screw for a billet one and your problem that arise form these crappy plastic issues will never come to light
I got a new billet on with spacer.
It's already on the primer pump housing.

Let me know if you ever need a cat filter for the adapter.
I buy them cheap.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Let me know if you ever need a cat filter for the adapter.
I buy them cheap.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
what the 0749 or 50 cost ?? and the 0751 for my AD2-165. including shipping to 48457 would like 3 each as I keep backups behind the seat

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
what the 0749 or 50 cost ?? and the 0751 for my AD2-165. including shipping to 48457 would like 3 each as I keep backups behind the seat
Let me do a cost search and I'll get back to you.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Let me do a cost search and I'll get back to you.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
as of now I have a few filter changes left. I replace my fuel filters every oil change or 6k miles, so I tend to go thru them fast, but I like super clean fuel because I no want to replace the CP3 or inj anytime soon. but if the cp3 goes tits up i can see a duel kit in the future

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Got my adapter installed and the primer pump rebuilt friday and installed the cat filter.
Really easy install.
About an hour start to finish.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw if anyone is interested I have an extra housing spacer and billet bleeder screw in raw form with bolts.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #28

I will take the screw, friend needs one , how much to 48457

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

actually I was hoping to sell them both as a pair but I can see if I can get another one ?
either way shipping is just a couple of bucks to the lower 48

pm sent
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #30

Nice thread. I use the Nicktane adapter on my rig with the CAT 1R-0749 filter and I also run a CAT 1R-0751 on the Airdog ADII-200 lift pump.

The Nicktane is a great unit to get better and cheaper filtration through the use of CAT or Donaldson filters.

Have you seen the Donaldson available that has the clear drain bowl option? It fits on the Nicktane adapter and filters down to an absolute rating of 3um.

_
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
Nice thread. I use the Nicktane adapter on my rig with the CAT 1R-0749 filter and I also run a CAT 1R-0751 on the Airdog ADII-200 lift pump.

The Nicktane is a great unit to get better and cheaper filtration through the use of CAT or Donaldson filters.

Have you seen the Donaldson available that has the clear drain bowl option? It fits on the Nicktane adapter and filters down to an absolute rating of 3um.

_
I did see and wanted to use the Donaldson filter but my filter guy doesn't stock it.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #32

Here's a site that carries them:

Donaldson P553203 Water Separator Filter With Water Drain - MadJack Diesel Performance
Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #33

Quote:

There is no way those carquest filters are rated to the "absolute" filtration specs like the CAT or Donaldson filters.

Be careful what you run on the common rail diesel motors, not all filters are the same even though they fit.

_
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #34

Quote:
There is no way those carquest filters are rated to the "absolute" filtration specs like the CAT or Donaldson filters.

Be careful what you run on the common rail diesel motors, not all filters are the same even though they fit.

_
they are made by WIX and meet the spec of 2 micron absolute, and i know a little something about common rails also, how do you like the GT4094V AVNT I have one but have not pulled with it yet, removed the twins

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #35

Cool but here's the specs, neither are close to 2uM ABSOLUTE filtration like the CAT filters or 3uM ABSOLUTE like the Donaldson....

Carquest 86528:

2uM NOMINAL
Part Details

Carquest 86626:

6uM NOMINAL
Part Details

Here's the page to look up the specs:
Wix Filters - Product Catalog search results

A little research showed the Carquest 86528 to be closer to a 7uM Absolute than 2uM.....because of the "Nominal" rating.

Anyhow, I like the 4094VA but I much preffered the TurboBrake strength of the stock charger.
For towing, I'd actually like to ditch the 4094VA and go to a S475(Or Garrett GT45R) over the Stock charger to get the big airflow yet keep the super strong TurboBrake.

Whose twins were you running?

_
Old 03-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #36
Oklahoma Proud

This is why the guys I work with, say to stay with oem filters for best results.
Ive seen the metal suspended in fuel that made it thru aftermarket filters. You can actually see it if placed in a jar and shine light in it, I sparkles so pretty kinda hard on injectors and pumps though.
To each thier own though. I will only use OE on my stuff though!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #37

Quote:

Anyhow, I like the 4094VA but I much preffered the TurboBrake strength of the stock charger.
For towing, I'd actually like to ditch the 4094VA and go to a S475(Or Garrett GT45R) over the Stock charger to get the big airflow yet keep the super strong TurboBrake.

Whose twins were you running?

_
SPD , I also just got a s475 double bat with 87mm 1.0, but heard lots of negatives about driveability, might just throw it on and see

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #38

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
This is why the guys I work with, say to stay with oem filters for best results.
Ive seen the metal suspended in fuel that made it thru aftermarket filters. You can actually see it if placed in a jar and shine light in it, I sparkles so pretty kinda hard on injectors and pumps though.
To each thier own though. I will only use OE on my stuff though!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

As long as you're using the newer OEM design RACOR brand "Coalescer" filter(PFF50216) design, it's a 4uM rating and 99% water removal capability.....a VERY good OEM filter. The original GM filter was 6-8uM and had about half the dirt holding capacity of the newer design.

Racor Coalescer Fuel Filter (2001-Current Duramax) [PFF50216] - $31.99 : DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource

The Carquest #86528 2uM unit would be "slightly" better for particulates than a stock filter.

The filter that wreaks much havoc on the Duramax engines is the Wix Fuel filter with the Black plastic body. It allows dirt to bypass the filter when it's full and has destroyed countless Duramax fuel injection systems.
Duramax Fuel System DEATH filter:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...x?Part=33960XE

I'm a little anal with filtration on CR Diesel motors as you can tell...LOL
I actually upgraded my CAT 1R-0749(On the Nicktane Adapter) and CAT 1R-0751(on AirDog) to their newer "UHE" (Ultra High Efficiency) design which filters even finer than their previous 2uM Absolute filters.
CAT 416-1225 (UHE)(replaces 1R-0749 on Nicktane Adapter)
CAT 364-5287 (UHE)(Replaces 1R-0751 on AirDog)

-
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #39

Quote:
SPD , I also just got a s475 double bat with 87mm 1.0, but heard lots of negatives about driveability, might just throw it on and see
NICE !!

I wouldn't worry about "drivability" as long as it's over the stock charger, should have great spool anyway until the big guy lights. The 87mm turbine should give you nice low drive pressure on that charger too.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

:UPDATE:

since ive installed the adapter and caterpillar filter I have logged about 9000 miles and happy to report no issue's and my dic is reporting 60% fuel filter life.
With the duramax oem filter id be at or near 25%.

VERY HAPPY!

"sabre owners united!"

turbs