Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Took the duramax to the in-laws this weekend phor Easter and noticed a slight vibration upon exceleration and none upon decel.
Phigured a u-joint .
I was right as I replaced it tonight.

Phew things.....
That duramax has the biggest u-joint I've ever put in a light duty truck!
My otc u-joint tool was too small to handle it so I had to improvise with the tool and the box end of a 1 5/16 wrench.

Only one cap was trashed others were phine.

And its not cheap either ... 40.00 bones.

351A iph anyone needs that inpho.

Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 892
Man who taught you how to spell words. Haha jk. U joints can be a beast some times to change if you don't have the right tools. With all that torque you need them big u joints.
__________________

__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Man who taught you how to spell words. Haha jk. U joints can be a beast some times to change if you don't have the right tools. With all that torque you need them big u joints.
That's what I'm sayin brother !
Big torque big joints!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Man who taught you how to spell words. Haha jk. U joints can be a beast some times to change if you don't have the right tools. With all that torque you need them big u joints.
Ps I corrected my typos
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bethalto il
Posts: 1,422
big joints? isnt this a family website (kinda)? i dont consider 40.00 bucks to be completely out of line for ujoints. they are being asked to do a lot. have you priced gm factory tow mirrors? heat,power with turn signal is over 400 each .... each side that is. daughters bf go a job at orielly's and shot me a price on his discount of 160 each side. much mo better.
__________________
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
big joints? isnt this a family website (kinda)? i dont consider 40.00 bucks to be completely out of line for ujoints. they are being asked to do a lot. have you priced gm factory tow mirrors? heat,power with turn signal is over 400 each .... each side that is. daughters bf go a job at orielly's and shot me a price on his discount of 160 each side. much mo better.
I just put in joints in a 3/4 ton chevy gasser last week.
18.00 each !
I used to manage a napa store phor 8 years back in the day.
I'm really not complaining to much about price as those suckers are jynormous!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bethalto il
Posts: 1,422
those suckers are jynormous

did you need 2 men, a boy and a floor jack to put them back in? nice thing about getting to them is all the space. no reason that i can see to jack it up unless you have a lift available .... ron
__________________
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
those suckers are jynormous

did you need 2 men, a boy and a floor jack to put them back in? nice thing about getting to them is all the space. no reason that i can see to jack it up unless you have a lift available .... ron
Lol I did almost ask amy to help as I almost couldn't liphed that shaft with them jynormous u-joints.
Hmmm yep lift works great !
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
did you have to use a torch and get the stuff out before you removed from the drive shaft??
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Regina, Sask.
Posts: 123
351A
Was that GM part number?
__________________

__________________
Ken & Janet
'07.5 GMC 2500 D/A CC/SB
'09 SABRE 31RETS-6
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.