Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Durango pulling my V lite

Just got back home from a trip to our local campground in Jax called Hanna Park, and was "forced" to pull my rig with my other Dodge Hemi- our 04 Durango limited. It does have the same drivetrain as my 06 Ram 1500, so I figured "Why not?" BOY, was I surprised at the difference between these two. The Durango, in overdrive, pulled it without any straining, BUT the tail wagging effect was very much present- even with the dual cam Reese bar setup, no matter what I set the chains at. The electric brake setup was a snap to hook up, thanks to a plug-in harness the dealer gave me when I bought the Durango. It plugged under the dash, and the 4 marked wires went to the brake controller with no problems at all.
I think in summary, with some beefier shocks, and LT tires, it may be good at pulling this rig. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Randy

Are you sure the the rear end gearing is the same between the two? It sounds like the Durango has a lower ratio...that's why it pulls better. You can have the dealership run the VIN # to tell you the ratio for sure.

The shorter wheelbase of the Durango would be less desirable for the length of your trailer in terms of sway control.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Definitely agree with Dave about the short wheel base vs. the trailer length. I used to pull a Keystone Litehouse 23ss with our 2000 Durango. Anti-sway package , weight distribution set-up also. It pulled fine and the sway was not too bad but you're adding another 7ft to the equation and additional weight as well. I know it has the power to pull your trailer but keeping it under control may present a serious challenge.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote