Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Durango Tow Capabilities

I was reading the towing question thread by bagged123. I didn't want to hijack his thread. Some of the response has me concerned. At least I haven't signed any paperwork or given anyone any money yet.

I am looking into getting a durango with the 5.7 hemi with the 3.92 rear axle.

Would it pull the Rockwood 2702ss?

Just short of 32' with a GVWR of 6600
Am I leaving out some thing in my figures?

8800lbs tow capacity - 10% safety margin = 7920lbs - estimated 900 loaded hitch weight = 7000 lbs - 600 for people and gear in the vehicle leaving me with 6400 lbs of towing capacity.

Now I know thats 200lbs under the GVWR of the camper but I doubt I would have the camper maxed out in weight.

Would the durango pull it?

Pickup truck is not really an option for us. If not I will pursue a smaller floor plan or a hybrid like the 23ss which has a GVWR around 200 lbs less and is 7 feet shorter.

Don't want to be stung by the dealers "Yes it will pull that" would prefer to know from those not trying to make a buck.
scor1pion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Part of the equation is weight, and you can make the numbers work. The other part is tow vehicle wheel base. The Durango is a little short on wheel base for that length of trailer, but that is my opinion, others will have theirs. The magic formula floating around on here is trailer length in feet multiplied by 5 equals the minimum inches for wheel base for a tow vehicle. Now 32 x 5 equals 160. So 160 inch wheel base minimum. Durango is not that long.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scor1pion View Post
I was reading the towing question thread by bagged123. I didn't want to hijack his thread. Some of the response has me concerned. At least I haven't signed any paperwork or given anyone any money yet.

8800lbs tow capacity - 10% safety margin = 7920lbs - estimated 900 loaded hitch weight = 7000 lbs - 600 for people and gear in the vehicle leaving me with 6400 lbs of towing capacity.

Now I know thats 200lbs under the GVWR of the camper but I doubt I would have the camper maxed out in weight.

Pickup truck is not really an option for us. If not I will pursue a smaller floor plan or a hybrid like the 23ss which has a GVWR around 200 lbs less and is 7 feet shorter.

Don't want to be stung by the dealers "Yes it will pull that" would prefer to know from those not trying to make a buck.
The GVWR for the trailer is the total weight of the trailer including hitch weight, so you do not to subtract the hitch weight in addition the trailer weight from your towing capacity.

You need to include hitch weight with passengers and cargo in the Durango towards the Durango's GVWR.

On paper you have enough power to pull the trailer. The problem is the length of the trailer in respect to the Durango's wheelbase. You may have a difficult time controlling it. If you are going to pull a trailer that size with a Durango (I would not recommend it), I think you should seriously consider a Hensley hitch system. They are expensive, but I think it would be out of the league I would be comfortable towing with an Equalizer or Reese Strait Line. Just my .02 Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

people fool themselves all the time using te paper method. Real world is far differennt. If you want the trailer then ou need a suurban as a minimum. With the durango, stick to a max 20/22 foot trailer. And the lighter the better.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

after just being there, walk away, the durango isn't going to pull it no matter what the book and dealer tell ya. Get a HD, though I will say I just traded in my durango ad bought a 1500 and towed my 27BHS with no issues, didn't even know it was back there and I was a little over 7k with it loaded for the weekend trip. I went through the mountains of NJ, PA and back in CT with no issues, the tranny hit around 205 or so with the outside temp of 93 when I was heading home in CT though I was going uphill for about 20 miles.

Don't even bother with the durango, though nice truck, but can't pull much. Even before I bought the 1500 I hooked it up to my camper and did about a 20 mile test pull and it was loaded for our weekend trip already, and it pulled it so i bought it. And I live in the NW Hills of CT, so I'm going up and down hills both ways.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Well thanks for the replies. My thoughts were that it may be a bit to small for the larger TT. Unfortunately, a pickup is not in my immediate future. The wife is not a camper by any definition of the word and is dead set against a pickup. Shes ok with an SUV though. To get her to go I know I am going to need something that provides modern conveniences with some space. I'm thinking a hybrid may be my best option.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

the biggest thing that I've learned over the past month or so, is make sure the SUV/truck has the towing package installed from the factory. That way you know it'll tow what it says, that's the 'proper equiped' statement meaning in the books.

However, even though a 'properly equiped' durango states it can go up to 9000lbs, don't hold your breathe.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #8

Buy a crewcab pick up with 4 doors and add a cap. Tell your wife its a long SUV
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Well thanks for the replies. My thoughts were that it may be a bit to small for the larger TT. Unfortunately, a pickup is not in my immediate future. The wife is not a camper by any definition of the word and is dead set against a pickup. Shes ok with an SUV though. To get her to go I know I am going to need something that provides modern conveniences with some space. I'm thinking a hybrid may be my best option.
We were in the same situation a few years ago. We were not in a position to be able to buy a Travel Trailer and a replacement tow vehicle at the same time. We had (still have) a 1G 2001 Durango. At the time a HTT offered the most space/features within the towing capabilities of our D and our budget. The combination served us well for 3 years. We still have the D, but it has been retired from towing duties. The HTT is gone and we now have our Power Wagon and a fifth wheel. I think a HTT would be a good choice.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:

As a former 5.7 HEMI Durango owner, you will have all the power to pull that camper just fine. I could set the cruise pulling my 28 foot camper at 65 and would pull fine. The problem is the short wheel base. On a windy day you would be blown all over the road. I learned the hard way on Memorial Day driving home. It was pretty hairy trying to control that vehicle. I was upset that I put my kids and wife in that situation.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

We have had not problem pulling our new 8312ss with the Durango Hemi 5.7 factory tow package even with a very windy first trip out. Have a w/d hitch and this pass weekend with lots of transports passing either way no sway issues at all. This has been my experience and keeping at the posted speed 100k or 62 mph.
waynec78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Another thing to consider (I did not see it mentioned on this thread) is that the 3rd Generation Durango is no longer a body-on-frame design. For pulling large amounts of weight and having several hundreds of pounds of tongue weight, I would be concerned with how strong the uni-body, sheetmetal would be for mounting a class III-class V hitch to. The question is certainly not if the 5.7 Hemi V8 has enough power (it does), but do you want to be pulling a 30+ foot trailer with a uni-body (car) chasis. Not sure why both the Jeep Cherokee and the Dodge Durango decided to keep the rear-wheel drive set up of a truck but go to a uni-body design like all these crossovers or mini-vans. Worse, the Ford Explorer went uni-body and is now primarily a front wheel drive car setup (all wheel drive available), but I saw an article showcasing the 2012 Explorer as a "tow vehicle" in Trailer Life magazine already.

If your wife will only settle for an SUV (not a truck), look for a body on frame, rear wheel drive, V8 powered SUV. Chevy Tahoe, Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, Ford Expedition would be where I would be looking and for a 30+' trailer I would be looking at the larger V8's offerings in each model and considering the longer wheelbases if available (Suburban, etc). Get her a Cadillac Escalade EXT, she will be the envy of neighborhood!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

Sorry I overlook to mention the year is 05 and not the new unibody
waynec78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

The problem with the second gen Durangos is the length after the rear axle and the WIDTH of the vehicle. It is built on a Dakota frame- which is narrower than a Ram, or most any full size SUV's. That is why duallys feel so stable-the width of the rear wheels. The reason Dodge stayed with their rear wheel drive platform is that the front drive vehicles requirte a sideways mounted engine, and a transaxle design transmission, that would need to be completely redesigned to fit under these hoods. I personally prefer rear drive vehicles for towing, though. I agree with heytomgraywolf, stick with a fullsize SUV, if you can't get a truck. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #15

I have an '06 Limited w. 5.7 and 3.55...TT is PT Tracer 2910bhs...air bag inserts for springs ( helps a lot with bounce) and Centerline hitch. Gvwr is important but more so is gcwr IMO. GCWR of Durango is 12,500 on mine. I am right at that when towing, if tanks have fluids in them...no issues at all, except braking is just not as good as bigger rig. 3.92 will give a GCWR of 14,400 I believe... It will tow it, but you need to tow smart and patient.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #16

We looked at many of the Suv's and the D was right there with them...( except suburban 2500) But, have heard/read many SUV's will be loosing some capacity in the next year or so...regulations or something...but may just be speculation
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
...But, have heard/read many SUV's will be loosing some capacity in the next year or so...regulations or something...but may just be speculation
The major manufacturers have agreed to adopt a tow rating standard by the end of 2013. It is debated as to how accurately this standard will reflect the towing capabilities of a vehicle, but they will rated to the same standard, so it should make paper comparisons of vehicles a little more accurate. Right now each manufacturer decides the towing capacities of their vehicles. Some set the ratings closer to the limits of the vehicle than others. Most expect a reduction in tow ratings on the new system.

Mark Phelan: Truck makers agree to toe the line on new towing standards | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #18

Thanks for all the input. A larger SUV would be out of our price range. As much as I would like the larger trailer I think going to smaller footprint will be better all the way around. Lighter and shorter. Will probably look in to hybrids more seriously now.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #19

Wise choice in my opinion. We loved our HTT.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #20

No, I don't think it's a good idea

WB? Not an issue - get a reese dual cam WD hitch and you should be fine on the length/wb thing.

A bit of research shows the max tow capacity of a durango is 7400lbs - and they don't list a 3.92 axle...at least on a 2011. But that 7400 is assuming only you (at 150lbs) driving. Every pound you ad to the tv (in passengers, cargo and options) will reduce this tow max value. To add 1000 pounds is not that hard.

But what I think will be your limiting factor is GCWR - gross combinded weight rating of the durango. Check the owners manual or maybe online (some googling didn't turn up the gcwr for a durango). I'm thinking it's around 10,500 or 11,000 lbs. That's the total loaded weight going down the road.

OK, durango 5300, passengers, cargo adds 800 - 6100 lbs.
What does the trailer list as, weight wise? Add 175 lbs for proane, battery, hitch, Add 500? 1000? for cargo (chairs, food, etc).
Now total all that up...and don't exceed 10,500 or whatever the GCWR is.

We were in the same boat but did our tv shopping after buying the tt...we went to get a 23 foot, 4500lb at most hybrid and got a 5600 lb 28 foot all hard trailer...no longer would an explorer work, so we got an expedition. And yes, bigger costs more...what $7000 would get for an explorer (~2003 with 80k miles) when applied to an expy got us a 2001 with 230k on it....but we had no choice.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote