Old 03-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

E-Rated (Towing) tires tread Pattern 1/2 Ton

Ok, so I have decided to get new tires for my Tow Vehicle. You can see much of my set up in my signature. I also have sumo springs on the rear suspension.

My question isn't so much about whether or not to get them, cause I am... I am curious peoples' opinions on the tread patterns; ie. Highway, All-Season, All-Terrain, etc. I will not be going "cheap" on the tires nor do I want to spend $1,500 on a set of four.

Where I am stuck is that in the summer for towing a highway tire would be great, even an "all season". However, I live in Maine and live on a long dirt road that gets plowed when the local farmer uses a tractor to clear the road- which he does every storm (father-in-law). So I have use for aggressive tires...

Do any of you run E rated tires? What pattern? How's road noise? Tread life?

Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Tire tread is your choice, but know that the less tread on the surface the more potential to sway.
As for load range, I have run E for years on a half-ton with no issues. Maybe slightly more road feel, but not a lot. Iíll take the trade-off.

spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Aggressive tread....if you don't mind the road noise....not all are equal in the noise. My sons are pretty quiet, you can hear them, but not terrible on the highway. I like my highway E tires, but this winter, I wished I had a little more aggressive tread pattern. Have property in MO that we made some trips to this winter, some gravel to get to the far end of the prop. and I really wished for aggressive tread then.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Currently considering nitto grappler tires 16” LRE. Currently have Commercial ta’s, LRE. Been a good tire, 4 yrs old, 40k miles-but no traction on slick dirt roads. Nitto’s are supposedly a quiet compromise for a terrain type tire.
A Loving wife
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

I just don't understand why people want an E rated tire on a 1/2 ton, but....I have the stock E range firestones on my 2500. I adjust the tire pressure to how the truck is loaded and using previous scale weights. I have great tire wear and rotate once per year regardless of mileage. Toyo AT II's are what I'm switching to when the stock ones are finally done which won't be long. They are popular around here and supposed to be a great all around tire and not too noisy. Good in soft/hard packed snow and ice (as they are now winter rated), gravel etc., good tread wear and not noisy.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I just don't understand why people want an E rated tire on a 1/2 ton.
Because many 1/2 ton trucks now, have payloads and towing capacities in 3/4 ton ranges.
Especially the newer F150 EcoBoost with HD Payload packages and Max Tow packages.
Certain models can have payloads in the 3000lbs range.
So E rated tires are a sensible choice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

BFG KO2

One of the best tires that I've ever had. They have great traction in all weather, and they are pretty bulletproof.

A little on the noisy side, but definitely not the noisiest.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I just don't understand why people want an E rated tire on a 1/2 ton
Well... The E range tire has stiffer sidewalls which reduces roll in the tire and makes for a more stable towing experience. So, to answer your question- I think people, myself included, are looking to improve their experience and improve safety.
-Yes you can quickly say, "Then get a 3/4!" But if I am safe in my half-ton and just want to improve my experience; $800 tires or $50,000 (used) truck? I don't know about your budget, but mine makes the decision easy.

That said, Thank you for your input on the tires you are running! The comments are helping!!

Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
Well... The E range tire has stiffer sidewalls which reduces roll in the tire and makes for a more stable towing experience. So, to answer your question- I think people, myself included, are looking to improve their experience and improve safety.
-Yes you can quickly say, "Then get a 3/4!" But if I am safe in my half-ton and just want to improve my experience; $800 tires or $50,000 (used) truck? I don't know about your budget, but mine makes the decision easy.

That said, Thank you for your input on the tires you are running! The comments are helping!!
Just to clarify, the stock firestones are terrible tires.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #10

I have a Chevrolet 2500 Crew Cab, long bed, 4 x 4 with the diesel engine. I just replaced those sorry ass Firestone tires at 34009 miles showing on the clock. I installed Goodyear All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in the side walls, they come with a limited tread warranty of 60,000 miles. My cost at Sam's club was just under one thousand dollars for the tires, mounting, and rotation every 5000 miles. The tires load range are the E classification. I run 70 psi in rear and 60 psi in the front.

Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, towing