Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

e2 hitch weight adjustments

Looking for clarity. I have an e2 Hitch. I'm pulling a PUMA 25RKSS with a 2005 suburban with new Bilstein shocks and Air lift 1000 air bags. The measurement are 36" uncoupled/ 36 3/4 hitched without WD engaged and 36 3/16 with WD engaged. These numbers seem to be fine however on a CAT scale I have 2920 on front and 4060 on rear and 6580 on trailer axles. I believe I need to adjust to bring more weight to front axle. Any advice is greatly appreciated

RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

From what I understand, the air bags should be flat to take your first measurement. And set your ideal hitch height.

Bags should only be inflated to start to raise the vehicle and take some weight off the springs (you want to make sure that front and rear sag are approximately the same). Putting too much in will make you nose high.

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

What's your front axle weight without the trailer? My E2 setup brought the front axle weight back within 60# of unloaded. Someone with a truck or large SUV should chime in, my setup was a little different than the instructions because of the mechanical self leveling rear in the Durango.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
From what I understand, the air bags should be flat to take your first measurement. And set your ideal hitch height.

Bags should only be inflated to start to raise the vehicle and take some weight off the springs (you want to make sure that front and rear sag are approximately the same). Putting too much in will make you nose high.
The instructions (copied in below) say to inflate air bags before setting up hitch
as they will be while traveling. This includes full propane tanks, fresh water
tanks, and any other cargo (passengers & gear) the tow vehicle or trailer will
carry, including ATVs for toy haulers. Tow vehicle ďauto-levelĒ systems should
also be disabled or turned off. If your tow vehicle is equipped with air bags,
we recommend that you inflate them to the pressure you are expecting to tow
with before setting up the hitch. Inflating them after hitch set up changes the
relationship between tow vehicle and trailer, and can reduce the amount of
weight distribution and sway control you get from your hitch.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

The book on the e2 says to have bags inflated to the amount you plan to tow. I did that
Old 06-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

I called them when I set mine up.

I have an Escalade with the automatic air leveling system. They had me remove the fuses to disable it prior to taking my measurements. You want to be at normal riding height.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

I would double check the ball height compared to coupler on trailer when level (keeping in mind you will need a 250# torque wrench if you loosen those bolts). If you haven't already, i would inflate air bags, and get TV weighed without trailer, which will give you the base axle weights.
Your front fender measurements look good as per the instruction manual. Does everything look level when you are hitched up?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I called them when I set mine up.

I have an Escalade with the automatic air leveling system. They had me remove the fuses to disable it prior to taking my measurements. You want to be at normal riding height.
007matman is towing with something more comparable, so you can ignore mine
Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I would double check the ball height compared to coupler on trailer when level (keeping in mind you will need a 250# torque wrench if you loosen those bolts). If you haven't already, i would inflate air bags, and get TV weighed without trailer, which will give you the base axle weights.
Your front fender measurements look good as per the instruction manual. Does everything look level when you are hitched up?
MILLMITCH That was my thought exactly I was going to add one or two washers to that and raise the ball up. It has a pretty sharp angle right now which is how dealer set it up. It has just the min number of washers (5) Just not sure how many I should add. and Yes I'm aware of the torgue at 250. Don't have a T wrench that big so I borrow from autozone. also trailer now loaded seems to pitch down in front slightly
Old 06-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

you are on the right track. After loading the trailer, my tongue increased from 600# to almost 850# which required another washer for me to level it back up. I'm at 7, your TV is bigger and longer than mine, so you probably need more washers. CAT scales are cheap, keep tweaking it.

Tags
hitch, weight