Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

E2 Round Bar Anti-Sway Hitch

Does anyone else have the e2 hitch? I love using it however in the last year I’ve had the link plates walk forward on the trailer frame twice. Specifically, the bottom of the plates/ connected L-Bracket moves forward reducing surface area of the sway/WDH bars.

Each time I set it up I’ve used a torque wrench to ensure proper torque on bolts.

What am I missing?

(Full set up: 2018 F-150 Max Towing Package; 2018 Vibe Extreme Lite 254 DBH. WDH set up has been confirmed via CAT scales)
CyclinPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

I use the E2 hitch. The last trip, one of the support brackets did loosen up, but didn't "walk" as you described. That is the only problem I have had (so far).
Old 07-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

Thanks WoodLark. Mine get a good 30 degrees off when it happens, reducing the contact area of the bar to the L-Bracket by 50%+.

After doing a bit more research I’ve found these. Not sure they’ll solve this issue but great reviews for making it a bit quieter. We’ll see how they do on our trip down to Oregon this weekend.

Equal-i-zer 95015150 Sway Bracket Jacket - 1pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRJNIE
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Take a look at this thread (especially the pictures in the last post)
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ar-185815.html. Could you need to lower the bolts as suggested in that post? If they are too high, that might contribute to the "walking".
Old 07-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

I’ll have to take a look again at the specs/confit. Thanks! I tried searching for E2 and it didn’t pull this up.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclinPapa View Post
Thanks WoodLark. Mine get a good 30 degrees off when it happens, reducing the contact area of the bar to the L-Bracket by 50%+.

After doing a bit more research I’ve found these. Not sure they’ll solve this issue but great reviews for making it a bit quieter. We’ll see how they do on our trip down to Oregon this weekend.

Equal-i-zer 95015150 Sway Bracket Jacket - 1pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRJNIE
I put them on my Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control hitch .. they are GREAT
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter Goodyear Endurance
89 days camped 2019, 81 days in 2020, 74 days 2021, 103 days 2022
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

I had the very same thing happen with my L brackets! When I contacted them I was told that there was too much distance from the lower part of the Travel Trailer frame to the bottom of the L brackets and bars were having to flex entirely too much thus making brackets tilt! As it turns out the hitch ball was tilted too far down and removing one spacer from the hitch ball head and raising the L brackets up one bolt hole helped tremendously. Unfortunately due to the fact my TT is a V-nose my brackets had to be altered in a fashion not likely to be approved by E-2! Most setups allow use of bolt over the top of the frame and one below. Mine had what had been fashioned as a horseshoe bracket allowing only one bolt below the frame and the strap across the top of frame. When the brackets tilted forward that allowed top of the bracket to be bent! So my very handy welding expert Brother-In-Law welded a nut to the back of the brackets allowing me to tighten a bolt into the frame thus stopping the brackets from bending allowing L brackets to also tilt. Not sure if this is also your problem but hope this makes sense and helps!
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #8

Do not use pads on E2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclinPapa View Post

These should not be used on the E2 round bar hitch. Stated in the pad descriptions. They are for the four point only.

Adding to the E2 removes the friction of antisway.
FLBENTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #9

E2

You can not use the jackets on the E2 or Fastway WDH. There was a post earlier on this. They are designed for the E4 that has the anti-sway. I believe it was due to a design issue on the E2.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
You can not use the jackets on the E2 or Fastway WDH. There was a post earlier on this. They are designed for the E4 that has the anti-sway. I believe it was due to a design issue on the E2.

If you use the jackets on the E2, you will probably lose most of your friction which provides the anti-sway feature. On the E4, most of the anti-sway comes from the design of the hitch head; you would still lose some of the anti-sway, but it probably wouldn't affect the anti-sway enough to be a problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

Thanks all - definitely a miss on the E4 vs. E2. Back to looking at configuration to see if the L-Bracket height is the culprit here. Anyone need covers for their E4?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #12

Fastway E2 Weight Distribution Hitch

I purchased an E2 because the friction bar set up that the dealership put on did nothing for sway. I thought at first I had to weak of tires on my pickup but in doing research it wasn't the case. So I bought an E2 and at first seemed to be fine for sway. Then I noticed the front of my pickup was wandering causing issues at the hitch. Then I took a trip to California from Washington and in Oregon a semi passed me by causing the worse white knuckle event. So back to the computer I go and being new to weight distribution hitches I wanted know why it swayed so badly. Also when I took my trailer in for warranty work the service manager says that the hitch is only a WDH and not a sway control. He said I needed a 4 point one. So I went online to find a 4 point hitch (so many to chose from I got an Easy Hitch but after looking at the things that onto the frame I decided it wasn't going to work. This is when I found out about Andersen No Sway WDH. Some people don't think they are any good and they say the only way to go is Hensley. I watched a video on the set up for Hensley to me was very complicated to set up The Andersen hitch is really simple to set up and there is no bars to use or stow away when you are not towing. The Andersen one has only chains the same size as the safety chains on the trailer. I bought the Andersen hitch (only about 50+ pounds) and it took me about one hour to set up. Every time I go camping all I do is put the ball mount into the receiver and then I hook up the trailer to the ball receiver latch it down and raise the tongue back up till I have slack. Then I attach the triangular plate and lower the tongue. Then I hook up the safety chains and the E brake cable and plug in the trailer wire. I watched what all you have to do with the very popular Hensley and I'm glad I have what I bought. I've used the Andersen Hitch three times with no problems and you don't hear it at all. It is easy to back up with (no binding). You don't need any grease because the ball moves with the trailer. I also put Firestone Air Bags on the back of my pickup to help with tongue bounce. I have the proper weight set up for towing. I'm below the maximum safe tow weight of 20% less than max towing capacity. My truck can tow up to 7600 pounds and my trailer Coachmen 21 foot travel trailer weighs about 3800 pounds with everything inside for the trip. The safe towing weight for my truck is 5600 pounds. I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Z 71 4X4 with the 4 cylinder diesel.
RZ406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway