Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

E2 round bar Weight Distribution Hitch

I dont know the right terms for various parts, but giving it a try...

The pins that lock the bar into the hitch (on the TV end of the bars).... I just went to pick up TT and found that the pin/spring??? on one side of the hitch was missing. Bar woill not lock in on this side.

IDK when or wher I lost these parts. Just pulled the TT 2 weeks ago and did not notice it missing when leaving CG for home.... But gone now when going to hook up for this weekend trip. Advice? Common? Can this be picked up at auto parts store? Can I repair? Can I order these parts? Hope I am explaining this right.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

I believe you are talking about the cotter clip(may also be called hitch pin or hairpin clip). You should be able to find a replacement at any hardware store, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, auto parts store etc.

Make sure when using it that you push it on far enough. If you didn't, that may be why you lost it.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark-SC View Post
I believe you are talking about the cotter clip(may also be called hitch pin or hairpin clip). You should be able to find a replacement at any hardware store, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, auto parts store etc.

Make sure when using it that you push it on far enough. If you didn't, that may be why you lost it.
Just noticed he said tow vehicle.

Deleting my previous post. Yes, all you need is the cotter pin.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

This pic might help...Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	210184
Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

Right side... See whats missing? It is a part of the hitch that locks the bars in.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #6

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...gaAtqeEALw_wcB

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-ro...r-release-clip

Shipping price is going to be the problem. Look around.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Right side... See whats missing? It is a part of the hitch that locks the bars in.

the rivet that holds the spring in place is gone as well as the spring, ... I know this is after the fact and not much help to you now, but may be something you or others with our style of WDH consider once they see your pic, ... one of the first things my camping buddy told me when we got our first trailer and the EAZ WDH was, he knew of a situation where someone lost that rivet from their hitch while traveling, the spring fell off, the bar fell down, and caused severe damage to the trailer underside while bouncing off the pavement as the trailer ran over it, ... his remedy for his and recommendation to me, was to secure those rivets with hose clamps, ... I took his advice, because it certainly seemed possible to me, ... that may have been my very first mod, ... but I had never heard or known of that happening to anyone else, but your pic shows me it can and does happen, ... replace those parts and consider yourself fortunate that you didn't experience the damage that the other fella did, ... and consider the hose clamps going forward ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0737.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	210187  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #8

I dont think the hose clamp idea would work with my hitch head?? But definately a good idea that I will investigate further. Fortunately I was parked when i discovered the bar release missing. I dont know how I didnt loose the bar on my last trip? I was moving the TT just a few yards yesterday at storage and the bar will not hold in the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_E2_Round-Bar_Head_94-02-1055_Web_250x.png
Views:	64
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	210195  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #9

I misunderstood your original post. I was thinking of the other end of the round bars. You probably should contact Fastway, the manufacturer of the hitch.

I have the same hitch, and will probably add the clamps before I have a similar problem.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Fella10's pic the receiver head a bit different that mine. The hose clamp trick would seem to work. Mine, I dont know that the hose clamp would work.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Thanks for the hose clamp tip. I still do not see how a bar could come out while attached to the trailer. There is a lot of upward pressure on them and the spring clip is pretty flimsy.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
... I still do not see how a bar could come out while attached to the trailer. There is a lot of upward pressure on them and the spring clip is pretty flimsy.

yes, the "load" on the bar is certainly a consideration, ... BUT, once the rivet, spring clip and the holding pin, are gone, simple moves like turning, changing lanes, or passing may change that pressure just enough each time to allow the bar to slip downward with each move, to the point where it could fall out of the socket, ... I do believe that running over things like RR crossings or a slight dip or bump in the road would be a momentary change in that upward pressure which could also give a opportunity for the bar to fall out, ... that's just my thoughts on how it could happen, I don't want to experience that, so for me the hose clamps give a cushion of safety that I'm happy with, ...

Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Thanks for the hose clamp tip. I still do not see how a bar could come out while attached to the trailer. There is a lot of upward pressure on them and the spring clip is pretty flimsy.
Yes but the pin that the spring clip is holding in is not flimsy. Once the spring clip is gone, that pin falls out.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Just FYI, called Fastway and they are sending the parts under warranty. They say this is rare.... and easy fix.

My bar did fall out yesterday. only going 3-5 MPH and heard it hit the pavement.

F10 - I am going to look into the clamp on mine. where you have a nice rounded surface in your pic for the clamp, mine is more one piece and not sure a large clamp would hold in position to prevent this. Basically I see one large clamp aroung=d the entire receiver head. You are using two clamps right? One per bar? Thanks for help and ideas.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #15

I gave up my fastway, installed a centerline, no more problems
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
J
F10 - I am going to look into the clamp on mine. where you have a nice rounded surface in your pic for the clamp, mine is more one piece and not sure a large clamp would hold in position to prevent this. Basically I see one large clamp aroung=d the entire receiver head. You are using two clamps right? One per bar? Thanks for help and ideas.

our hitches are more different than I thought at first, ... mine does have two separate sockets for the bars and is easy to put the hose clamps around, not even sure if the one large clamp will work around the body of your hitch, but now you're aware of what can happen and maybe can come up with something that will help prevent that from happening again, ... thanks for posting your pic, it assured me that this can happen and maybe it will help prevent someone else from going thru that as well, ...

Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #17

I went and looked at mine. Unfortunately, the hose clamp trick won't work.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #18

If you are referring to the cotter pins which hold the "L" bars you should be able to get them at any hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe's. I've lost them before as well. However my Rockwood dealer carries the newer design "L" bar which incorporates a spring retainer which is much easier to use. I think I paid $15 or so for the new pair and now just keep the old ones in my kit for spares.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #19

No, this post is in regard to other end of bars, where they insert and lock into the receiver head.... The lock/release mechanism. See pics - Thanks

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch