Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseyHauler View Post
The lower rear axle ratio is not suitable for towing.
Huh ?? Lower final drive ratios (high numeric) are much better for towing, or at least that is what I have always understood.
__________________

__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
They push the high gear ratios for fuel economy!
And 90% of 1/2 tons on the lot have a high ratio.
they want to sell those before they order one from another dealer or turn you away because they don't have a low ratio towing gear.

Nothing less than 3.73 should be used.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 156
The eco boost with Max Tow is the best option for any future trailer options in the Ĺ ton range.
However, if you have to buy off the lot and a Max Tow cannot be found, get one with a tow package and 3.73 preferred.
I would not want a 3.31, especially for any long hilly tows.
The eco boost with the 3.55 and 3.73 are rated to tow about the same amount, but the 3.73 is the better choice.
__________________
2015 Ford Expedition EL
2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
The eco boost with Max Tow is the best option for any future trailer options in the Ĺ ton range.
However, if you have to buy off the lot and a Max Tow cannot be found, get one with a tow package and 3.73 preferred.
I would not want a 3.31, especially for any long hilly tows.
The eco boost with the 3.55 and 3.73 are rated to tow about the same amount, but the 3.73 is the better choice.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you are buying the Ecoboost and know at some point you will tow ANY trailer, I just don't see the point in not getting the maxtow package. It is very little money up front to avoid spending a whole lot more money down the road.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Just to be clear on axle ratios for those that may not understand.

A 4.10 ratio is a much lower ratio than a 3.31......even though it is a higher number.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn, the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times if the differential is geared for 4.10. Great for towing, but the engine needs to spin faster at any given speed and transmission gear. When the engine spins faster, then normally the fuel mileage is worse......with exceptions. If the engine is under heavy load, the increased engine speed may actually help fuel mileage, since it might be a better power band area. But on level road, the increased engine speed is gonna burn more fuel.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn with a 3.31 ratio differential, then the drive shaft has to rotate 3.31 times. With that ratio, it will be harder for the vehicle to take off.....with or without a trailer......but definitely with a trailer. Also with those stiffer gears (lower number, higher ratio), there will be wider "spacing" between the transmission gears, again leading to a little engine HP and torgue loss to the wheels.

In the mountain area where I live, I actually believe that the lower gear ratio helps some with fuel mileage.......less shifting, with the engine being able to keep in a better HP and torque range for the hilly conditions.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 156
jeeplj8 - not offended... and agree.. however Max Tow packages are hard to come by in some trim levels and in certain parts of the country. Ordering can take time. Depending on how quick a buyer needs a vehicle or can wait is a determining factor as to why someone would get something less than a Max Tow. If someone is leasing for 24-36 months, than that would be another factor.

If a buyer can get a max tow in the configuration the buyer wants, it would be silly not to buy it.
If any of the other factors come into play, the next best level is the 3.73 with factory tow.
__________________
2015 Ford Expedition EL
2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Just to be clear on axle ratios for those that may not understand.

A 4.10 ratio is a much lower ratio than a 3.31......even though it is a higher number.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn, the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times if the differential is geared for 4.10. Great for towing, but the engine needs to spin faster at any given speed and transmission gear. When the engine spins faster, then normally the fuel mileage is worse......with exceptions. If the engine is under heavy load, the increased engine speed may actually help fuel mileage, since it might be a better power band area. But on level road, the increased engine speed is gonna burn more fuel.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn with a 3.31 ratio differential, then the drive shaft has to rotate 3.31 times. With that ratio, it will be harder for the vehicle to take off.....with or without a trailer......but definitely with a trailer. Also with those stiffer gears (lower number, higher ratio), there will be wider "spacing" between the transmission gears, again leading to a little engine HP and torgue loss to the wheels.

In the mountain area where I live, I actually believe that the lower gear ratio helps some with fuel mileage.......less shifting, with the engine being able to keep in a better HP and torque range for the hilly conditions.
Good explanation. But I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the gear ratios affecting the truck's published towing capacity. My Silverado 1500 towing capacity is only about 6,700 pounds with the axle I have, while a different ratio - with the same engine, transmission and tow package - would increase that to over 9,000 pounds. Nothing different but the gear ratio. Does the same thing happen with the Ecoboost?
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
pony express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 101
Steve the max tow pkg also includes a seperate transmisson cooler placed in the front of the truck in front of the radiator , its own gauge on the dash gauges and a tow ,haul mode on the shifter which helps with effective transmission shifts smoothly when towing.
__________________
Roo Crew: Sheryll /Jayne / Lyndsey
2011 f150 screw w/ecoboost
2012 rockwood roo 233s
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
jeeplj8 - not offended... and agree.. however Max Tow packages are hard to come by in some trim levels and in certain parts of the country. Ordering can take time. Depending on how quick a buyer needs a vehicle or can wait is a determining factor as to why someone would get something less than a Max Tow. If someone is leasing for 24-36 months, than that would be another factor.

If a buyer can get a max tow in the configuration the buyer wants, it would be silly not to buy it.
If any of the other factors come into play, the next best level is the 3.73 with factory tow.
I agree. Unfortunately, I didn't know the max tow existed when I paid $4x,xxx for my truck.....woulda shoulda coulda.

So, I'm having to upgrade my 3.55 gears ($1,700 for 4X4) I am absolutely maxed out on my payload with wife, kid & carseat, dog & crate, and I had to purchase those goofy tow mirrors that slip over the factory mirrors. I also purchased a Bullydog GT tuner to maximize the towing capability. All in all, well over $2,000 extra and when my trailer is attached, I don't have enough payload remaining to carry anything extra in the vehicle.

Live and learn.....haha Will be awesome when regear is complete.....a real keeper!!!

__________________
Trippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good explanation. But I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the gear ratios affecting the truck's published towing capacity. My Silverado 1500 towing capacity is only about 6,700 pounds with the axle I have, while a different ratio - with the same engine, transmission and tow package - would increase that to over 9,000 pounds. Nothing different but the gear ratio. Does the same thing happen with the Ecoboost?
I think that happens to all vehicles up to a certain point. With the Ecoboost 3.73 and 4.10 options, they have the same tow ratings (~11,300 lbs.). Once you get to that much weight, maybe Ford finally considers the frame and braking power, so they don't go off of the chart with the lower ratios.
__________________

__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.