Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
450 lbs payload can add up on trailer size. Thats about 4000lbs trailer weight at low nominal tongue percentage or some extra passengers and/or gear.
Disclaimer: Just because that is what it equates to, doesn't mean that it will add that much. Just showing how much that 450 lbs boosts your capabilities.

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to a post regarding actual truck weights for the Ecoboost to better determine available payload.

F150 Ecoboost Vehicle Weight

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #13

Thanks again guys. I guess I just did not understand the payload relationship. My understanding was the WD hitch was going to reduce the weight on the hitch and in effect take less away from the payload. None of the RV dealers even mention payload. I know they just want to sell stuff but wouldn't you think the payloads on these trucks are really underrated. I have definitely seen more than 1200 lbs in the truck and bed at times in the past. So am
I correct that you have to deduct the hitch weight from the available payload. Thanks again. Just trying to get it right. An F250 would be best probably but my daily commute might be better in the F150.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #14

The WDH redistributes weight from the rear axle to the TT and the front axle. In effect, the weight is still there, it is just spread more evenly. If you weighed the axles, you would find that the front takes on more weight as well as the TT axles, so yes, one might argue that you reduced some of the weight on the tongue when you sent it to the TT axles, but you are still hooked up to the same trailer and it still weighs the same as it did before.

Payloads have been discussed to death, but what it comes down to is the weakest link. You could have a 1000hp deisel engine, but mount it to a weak chassis or couple it to a lightweight rear axle and you still have to stay within the limit of the weakest component. The trucks are now tested by the SAE and are proven to their standards of what they are capable of.

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags