Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Ecoboost & SV 305

I am new to the travel trailer world and looking for a bit of expert advice from you guys. I have looked at countless sites and seen many different responses so I thought I would come here as well because maybe someone has actually towed the SV 305 with an ecoboost and could give me some feedback. I am looking to get a SV305 and a new tow vehicle. The ecoboost with Max Tow is difficult to find and my dealer says it will make the ride quality suffer. Most RV shops and the dealer seem to think the payload is not an issue but I have seen lots of people say you have to watch this. Here are the specs on the truck and trailer. Any help determining if this will be a good fit is greatly appreciated.

F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercrew

3.73 Axle
Tow package
7200 GVWR
15500 GCWR
Payload 1520 (1200 door sticker)
Tow Rating 9600

SV 305
Dry wt. 7364
Hitch Weight 829
Txreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

With that trailer, I think you would be better off with an F250.

If you insist on an Ecoboost F150, you should get the maximum payload capacity in addition to the max tow package. The projected 1000-1200 tongue weight of that trailer is gonna send a F150 without the max payload capacity over the GVWR, unless you are planning on carrying no gear or passengers in the truck.

Since you mentioned the Super Cab, you should also order the 6.5' bed. That will increase your wheelbase from 145" to 157". Pulling a 35' camper, the extra wheelbase will be a big plus.

The GVWR of that trailer is almost 11,000 lbs, way over the 9600 lb. tow rating of the Ecoboost you listed. You will need to load the trailer light to stay under the 9600 lb. rating. Even if you can keep it under 9000 lbs, you will probably be exceeding the GCWR of 15,500 lbs. Truck max (if you can keep it there) of 7200 lbs, allows for just 8300 lbs. of trailer before reaching the GCWR. Of course, most of the tongue weight is already on the truck, but still you would need to keep the trailer on the lite side.

Again, a long wheelbased 3/4 ton truck would be a better fit with that trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the Ford towing guide website, the heavy duty payload and towing package up the GCWR to 17,100 lbs., and the towing maximum to 11,100 lbs for the Super Cab with 6.5. bed. Looks like there is also a 4:10 final drive ration available.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...rP18_Nov17.pdf

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

X2.....

A max tow/max payload eco would work.....even then you will be creeping up on limits....

Will the truck pull it? Without question yes.....those things are beasts...... will you be over limits....maybe...

Its always easy for us to say ' go f250'.... and that IS a solution, but maybe not the right one for your situation or needs....

You could always find a lighter trailer if your mind is set on the eco?

Good luck!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

I agree you will want more truck to pull that trailer. As a rule of thumb, you never want to exceed 80% of the rated towing capacity in normal use, in your case that's 7680 lbs. So your trailer is going to be at that with just full LP tanks, battery and water in the WH and lines, all things that are not included in the dry weight. By the time you load your clothes, groceries, and gear, you'll be over the 80%, meaning your truck will be a max tow load. You will not be happy with its performance at that load. I would recommend going with a 3/4 ton truck for sure.
KenNTennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txreds View Post
The ecoboost with Max Tow is difficult to find and my dealer says it will make the ride quality suffer.
The salesman will give you all kinds of reasons why you don't need the max tow option. The real reason is that he doesn't have one to sell!

That's the F150 that you need at a minimum...the max payload in addition to the max towing option would be even better. That set-up would also have unused capacity should you choose to upgrade the camper in the future.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txreds View Post
The ecoboost with Max Tow is difficult to find and my dealer says it will make the ride quality suffer.
The ride quality might not be 'marshmallow' with the Max Tow Package but put that camper behind the F150 w/out Max Tow and/or HD package and the truck the truck will definitely ride like a "powder puff."

Take what the RV or auto dealer tells you with a grain of salt. They are out for a sale, not your best interest. That is why you do the research and drive the conversation. If you want the Max Tow package and the dealer tells you otherwise, you would be wise to go elsewhere.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The salesman will give you all kinds of reasons why you don't need the max tow option. The real reason is that he doesn't have one to sell!

That's the F150 that you need at a minimum...the max payload in addition to the max towing option would be even better. That set-up would also have unused capacity should you choose to upgrade the camper in the future.

Dave
Good advice, Dave.
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the help guys. My ford contact is actually a friend and they do have a max tow on the lot. From what I could tell the max tow package only added 450 lbs of payload and larger mirrors. The other components are in the tow package. I am sure the extra payload would help but I wonder how much that helps tow. Every dealer I speak with only seems to look at the tow rating and GCWR.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The max towing rating is 11,300 instead over 9,600 lbs...definitely more than larger towing mirrors. The increased GVWR of 450 lbs is significant also, particularly when you find that the payload you have left after fuel, people, tools, firewood and gear is loaded in the truck is only 1000 lbs.

The max tow option will be money well spent...worthwhile to find one.

Dave

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

450 lbs payload can add up on trailer size. Thats about 4000lbs trailer weight at low nominal tongue percentage or some extra passengers and/or gear.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
450 lbs payload can add up on trailer size. Thats about 4000lbs trailer weight at low nominal tongue percentage or some extra passengers and/or gear.
Disclaimer: Just because that is what it equates to, doesn't mean that it will add that much. Just showing how much that 450 lbs boosts your capabilities.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to a post regarding actual truck weights for the Ecoboost to better determine available payload.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-19746.html

Dave

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #13

Thanks again guys. I guess I just did not understand the payload relationship. My understanding was the WD hitch was going to reduce the weight on the hitch and in effect take less away from the payload. None of the RV dealers even mention payload. I know they just want to sell stuff but wouldn't you think the payloads on these trucks are really underrated. I have definitely seen more than 1200 lbs in the truck and bed at times in the past. So am
I correct that you have to deduct the hitch weight from the available payload. Thanks again. Just trying to get it right. An F250 would be best probably but my daily commute might be better in the F150.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #14

The WDH redistributes weight from the rear axle to the TT and the front axle. In effect, the weight is still there, it is just spread more evenly. If you weighed the axles, you would find that the front takes on more weight as well as the TT axles, so yes, one might argue that you reduced some of the weight on the tongue when you sent it to the TT axles, but you are still hooked up to the same trailer and it still weighs the same as it did before.

Payloads have been discussed to death, but what it comes down to is the weakest link. You could have a 1000hp deisel engine, but mount it to a weak chassis or couple it to a lightweight rear axle and you still have to stay within the limit of the weakest component. The trucks are now tested by the SAE and are proven to their standards of what they are capable of.

Tags