Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
That statement is absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2. If the Tundra was a 3/4 ton sold as a 1/2 ton then why can't it keep up with the rest of the 1/2 tons when it comes to towing?

Here's all you need to read to see that the Tundra's a step behind the rest.
What's the Best Light-Duty Truck for Towing 2016: Texas Truck Showdown - PickupTrucks.com News

Only reason it got dead last was because the Titan wasn't in the test.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
Technically the Tundra is 1/2 ton but is designed and built as a 3/4 ton.

WHAT? LOL
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubuggie View Post
I know I'm probably starting something with this question, but..... Is there an appreciable difference between a Ecoboost Screw 2wd, 3.55 rearend and a tundra 2wd. 5.7 with 4.3 rear end. The F-150 would be a Lariat with standard tow package. I know there are a lot of you who have these TV's and could provide some real world info and not just quote numbers. Thanks.
I have owned in the past ford/gmc trucks and now own a tundra. I think all the trucks nowadays are good trucks. The #1 reason I ended up with a 2014 tundra was the price......I priced (negotiated for) a gmc,ram and tundra and was able to get a better price on the tundra. As far as the ford I know they are good trucks but right or wrong, I was a little leery of the turbos. As for me I would rather have a less complicated engine I think it will serve me better in the long haul (just my opinion). If you could tow your rig with each one before you buy that would be ideal but I think you be happy with either truck.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #24

My only issue with my tundra- 1300 lbs cargo carrying capacity. Between tongue, passengers, and camping supplies I am well since out of cargo weight.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #25

Just test drive each one and go with your gut.

Im happy with my choice and only paid 31k vs 37k sticker and drove 175 miles one way to purchase new. The crew cab will give you a lot of interior room vs double cab but loose 6.5 bed. Farthest tow was from Pittsburgh Pa to Nashville Tn earlier this year - 8/9 mpg 3 adults two Labs and my 19RR toy hauler.
Adjustable headlamps are the most important feature on the Tundra -IMO... I see alot of 1 tons car carrier with the nose up in the air - makes no sense to me not to have adj head lamps on a truck. I can always have the light properly adjusted.
New nissan titan has this feature.
Trans cooler/oil cooler/ps cooler all included with 5.7 ltr 4.30 gears, 9800lbs tow 4wd- cargo is 1380#.

50,000 miles to date AIP (smog pump), water pump. I added tow mirrors and P2 brake controller.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150502_093256.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	111034  

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #26

There are other considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
x2. If the Tundra was a 3/4 ton sold as a 1/2 ton then why can't it keep up with the rest of the 1/2 tons when it comes to towing?

What's the Best Light-Duty Truck for Towing 2016: Texas Truck Showdown - PickupTrucks.com News

No question the Tundra is getting a little dated and is less capable than some of the others. If you are looking for maximum "performance" then there are better choices than the Toyota.

However, if durability and reliability are important to you - then the Tundra looks a lot better. It has exceptional reliability, the GM and RAM products do poorly. The Ecoboost is a bit new to have much history. For me, the Tundra is more than capable and I place more weight on having a reliable vehicle versus some of the other factors.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post

So if you go by that truck showdown.... The only solid performer is the GMC...
That's okay, I will keep my Ram 1500 and my Tundra quad cab.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #28

I really hate these which is better ???'s... I have owned several of each Ford, Chevy, GMC and Toyota and what I have to say is from my personal experience with all of them for what it is worth.

First I will NEVER own another Ford even if it is given to me! Of the three I have owned none, NONE was any good at all. I spent more money keeping them running than on any of the other trucks. Suspension and transmission were the main problems but one had so many engine problems we finally pulled it, yes pulled/towed it into a dealership just to get rid of it. All of them were disposed of before they got close to 100k on the clock.

Chevy and GMC's have been good dependable trucks with the exception of a 71' 1/2 ton that would get hung up on level ground but the wife used it for her daily driver so it seldom was off pavement. My favorite of them was a 66' 3/4 ton with a 292 in line 6 and 4 speed manual. All of the GM trucks, six, each and every one of them went over 300k with just the usual maintenance of oil, spark plugs, tires, brakes, etc.

The last two trucks have been Toyota, got the first one because of the price/deal over what I could get at GM and I am glad it happened. The Toyota's have been excellent in reliability and even more so in the comfort/ride department empty, loaded or towing which is a big thing for me with my back/neck surgeries that have not gone well. We spent nearly 6 weeks last summer out west towing though the mountains and on the coast with the same dependable performance/power whether at sea level or on top of a mountain from the 5.7 engine.

For us the next truck, when the time comes, will be Toyota again because all the reviews mean nothing if you do not feel comfortable in the vehicle and have confidence in its reliability. So as far as which one is for you, go sit in and drive each, you will know when you have found the right one for you.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #29

I have a 2013 tundra. Been a great truck. The engine and transmission combo have been proven and work great together. I tow a 7200 pound loaded toy hauler. Tows great.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #30

Unfortunately I think I may of started a 1/2 ton scrap. Sorry. The Tundra is a great truck like mentioned before all truck sold in NA are good trucks. Some things need to be cleared up. Toyota and Nissan are not able to offer the combination or configuration as the big 3 do to the fact they do not sell at volume as the others. This also means their tech tends to be behind as well. But for many It comes down to what you like and want. If it does the job and you got a good deal then enjoy. Also the New Titan XD is a near 3/4 ton truck and is marketed so. This is likely due to Nissan making the truck to heavy either to avoid CAFE regs, finding a much market or plain making the tech. We will see when the reg Titan is revealed. It can be noted mist reviews of the truck find it is over priced and has a hard time surpassing a well equipped big 3 1/5 ton and for the $ you can buy a good 3/4 ton..but will have a loss of daily fuel economy compared to the XDs 5L Cummins. It should be noted Nissan was set to have shared chassis with Ram until FIAT purchased Chryco and ended the 5L Cummins deal in favour of the Eco Deasil(good move) and the platform sharing killed too. Nissan having the oldest platform on the market was in a pinch and stuck with development of their own truck
Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #31
Canadian Member

I recently checked the specs on the new Tundra. It is not a 3/4 ton. It's about equivalent to the my F-150 with a max tow package. It has a GVWR of around 7200#.

The ecoboost will be less expensive on fuel but more expensive to purchase. On the other hand, the Tundras are priced relatively high compared to most F-150s but if they're like all other Toyotas they will be higher quality and more reliable than a Ford.

When I bought my current truck, I struggled with this decision. I won't buy new and I honestly couldn't justify the significant difference in cost between an F-150 and a Tundra given the F-150's very good reputation. My F-150 has been a good truck but it is starting to cost me some money to fix rust and a broken manifold bolt. I've owned several Japanese vehicles and they rarely ever cost me money, so I'm second guessing my decision a bit.

Based on previous vehicles (cars, not trucks) that were average at best, I'm not ready to consider a Chrysler or GM product.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #32

Here an article that sums up The Tundra both good and bad...perhaps perceived reliability should of been mentioned as well...

Toyota Tundra: Supersize Isn’t Always Super - WSJ
Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #33

I had a Tundra before my current truck.

The good.....The engine(5.7) and trans/rear end combo was about perfect. Power was no issue. Never had any fear of rear end or transmission issues. Awesome brakes. Full power roll down rear window. Interior space was great with tons of storage. Reclining rear seats. Fun to drive with all that power. Resale very good. I may be wrong, but it seems a vehicle that holds value is good not just for resale, but also in the event it's totaled by the ins company. Maybe that's why the cost to insure was identical to my 3/4. I'm sure there's other stuff too. Overall a great truck. Did I mention power?

I have to really look hard to find the things I didn't like, and really it's all just personal preference stuff related to how I use the truck. The suspension/weight was the weak link towing for me. Which is directly related to the low payload numbers. Engine was loud when revving/towing up hill etc. Super short bed that couldn't hold a bicycle length wise without closing the tailgate. 26 gallon tank. Rear seats didn't fold up.

If I were towing lighter or not towing, I'd get another Tundra. Again, just me. I know they can tow a fiver or the space shuttle comfortably. I also liked that they were a little less common. I live in Texas where everyone drives a truck. Most everyone driving a truck has a 1/2 ton by the big three down here, so it was nice having something a little different.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #34

I have two friends with chev gas 6 liters and they are very happy. One is a duelly towing a 40 plus foot 5th wheel.
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Love my F 150 EB but it has a 3.73 rear end and a Max tow package which includes sway control. This combination allows 11,300# towing with a Weight distribution Hitch. Love this truck. I would recommend the 3.73 over the 3.55 rear end.

Jack
My 2013 F150 EB SC has the same specs, but the tow rating is a fantasy. The limitation is cargo carrying capacity - tongue or pin weight will be at the rear axle's max before you get anywhere near the max tow rating. My research indicates that this is a common weakness for half ton trucks regardless of manufacture.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #36

I drove both yesterday. A Tundra SR5 and a F150 limited. The Ford rode and drove better and of course had more bells and whistles. The rear leg room in the Tundra was better and that is important for my family, they are all tall and need all the room we can get for trips. I kinda like the simplicity of the Tundra. It wont have alot of the bells and whistles of alot of other trucks but for me thats fine. I'm sure the F150 is a great truck, but it looks like for me I'll go with a Tundra. I'm in no hurry for a truck, but I had no experience with either of the two trucks, but thanks to some great responses from you guys and driving the two myself it looks like I'm going to look for a lightly used Tundra. On a different note the F150 I drove was a 2013 Limited with 5100 verified miles on it. It belonged to a Marine retiree that drove it to breakfast every morning and then apparently parked it for the day. It even still smells new! It was very hard to turn down, but it's just not for me. Thanks again for all the well thought out and extremely helpful responses.

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #37

Be sure and post a pic when a deal is settled.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #38

Questions like this will receive a thousand different answers. I've owned them all. My F150's (2) were reliable and never required a repair. Same with the Toyotas (2). The main difference for me was payload and the ability to ride even with a good load in the bed. I can say the resale on the Toyota's was the best out there. I traded the last one in after 6 years and received 3K less than what I paid for it. It was just a TV though and had 18K miles.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #39

The resale value argument I always found troubling.

When I buy a truck, I want the truck to do its job. Resale means nothing to me. I also believe the resale argument is way overplayed. How much money are we really talking here?

High resale is useless if the truck can't do its job [well].

325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The resale value argument I always found troubling.

When I buy a truck, I want the truck to do its job. Resale means nothing to me. I also believe the resale argument is way overplayed. How much money are we really talking here?

High resale is useless if the truck can't do its job [well].

Spot on.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost, tundra