Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #31
Canadian Member

I recently checked the specs on the new Tundra. It is not a 3/4 ton. It's about equivalent to the my F-150 with a max tow package. It has a GVWR of around 7200#.

The ecoboost will be less expensive on fuel but more expensive to purchase. On the other hand, the Tundras are priced relatively high compared to most F-150s but if they're like all other Toyotas they will be higher quality and more reliable than a Ford.

When I bought my current truck, I struggled with this decision. I won't buy new and I honestly couldn't justify the significant difference in cost between an F-150 and a Tundra given the F-150's very good reputation. My F-150 has been a good truck but it is starting to cost me some money to fix rust and a broken manifold bolt. I've owned several Japanese vehicles and they rarely ever cost me money, so I'm second guessing my decision a bit.

Based on previous vehicles (cars, not trucks) that were average at best, I'm not ready to consider a Chrysler or GM product.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #32

Here an article that sums up The Tundra both good and bad...perhaps perceived reliability should of been mentioned as well...

Toyota Tundra: Supersize Isn’t Always Super - WSJ

Old 06-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #33

I had a Tundra before my current truck.

The good.....The engine(5.7) and trans/rear end combo was about perfect. Power was no issue. Never had any fear of rear end or transmission issues. Awesome brakes. Full power roll down rear window. Interior space was great with tons of storage. Reclining rear seats. Fun to drive with all that power. Resale very good. I may be wrong, but it seems a vehicle that holds value is good not just for resale, but also in the event it's totaled by the ins company. Maybe that's why the cost to insure was identical to my 3/4. I'm sure there's other stuff too. Overall a great truck. Did I mention power?

I have to really look hard to find the things I didn't like, and really it's all just personal preference stuff related to how I use the truck. The suspension/weight was the weak link towing for me. Which is directly related to the low payload numbers. Engine was loud when revving/towing up hill etc. Super short bed that couldn't hold a bicycle length wise without closing the tailgate. 26 gallon tank. Rear seats didn't fold up.

If I were towing lighter or not towing, I'd get another Tundra. Again, just me. I know they can tow a fiver or the space shuttle comfortably. I also liked that they were a little less common. I live in Texas where everyone drives a truck. Most everyone driving a truck has a 1/2 ton by the big three down here, so it was nice having something a little different.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #34

I have two friends with chev gas 6 liters and they are very happy. One is a duelly towing a 40 plus foot 5th wheel.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Love my F 150 EB but it has a 3.73 rear end and a Max tow package which includes sway control. This combination allows 11,300# towing with a Weight distribution Hitch. Love this truck. I would recommend the 3.73 over the 3.55 rear end.

Jack
My 2013 F150 EB SC has the same specs, but the tow rating is a fantasy. The limitation is cargo carrying capacity - tongue or pin weight will be at the rear axle's max before you get anywhere near the max tow rating. My research indicates that this is a common weakness for half ton trucks regardless of manufacture.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #36

I drove both yesterday. A Tundra SR5 and a F150 limited. The Ford rode and drove better and of course had more bells and whistles. The rear leg room in the Tundra was better and that is important for my family, they are all tall and need all the room we can get for trips. I kinda like the simplicity of the Tundra. It wont have alot of the bells and whistles of alot of other trucks but for me thats fine. I'm sure the F150 is a great truck, but it looks like for me I'll go with a Tundra. I'm in no hurry for a truck, but I had no experience with either of the two trucks, but thanks to some great responses from you guys and driving the two myself it looks like I'm going to look for a lightly used Tundra. On a different note the F150 I drove was a 2013 Limited with 5100 verified miles on it. It belonged to a Marine retiree that drove it to breakfast every morning and then apparently parked it for the day. It even still smells new! It was very hard to turn down, but it's just not for me. Thanks again for all the well thought out and extremely helpful responses.

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #37

Be sure and post a pic when a deal is settled.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #38

Questions like this will receive a thousand different answers. I've owned them all. My F150's (2) were reliable and never required a repair. Same with the Toyotas (2). The main difference for me was payload and the ability to ride even with a good load in the bed. I can say the resale on the Toyota's was the best out there. I traded the last one in after 6 years and received 3K less than what I paid for it. It was just a TV though and had 18K miles.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #39

The resale value argument I always found troubling.

When I buy a truck, I want the truck to do its job. Resale means nothing to me. I also believe the resale argument is way overplayed. How much money are we really talking here?

High resale is useless if the truck can't do its job [well].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The resale value argument I always found troubling.

When I buy a truck, I want the truck to do its job. Resale means nothing to me. I also believe the resale argument is way overplayed. How much money are we really talking here?

High resale is useless if the truck can't do its job [well].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spot on.

Tags
ecoboost, tundra