Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #41

The 3.5 Ecoboost is way better for towing a 7000+ lb camper than any other 1/2 ton due to the placement of torque in the RPM range. Max torque from 1700-2500 RPM's on the Ecoboost; and all others requiring more RPM's to reach the same numbers as the Ford. I have an '08 5.7 Tundra, tow a 27HFS toy hauler; and it's not enough. Yes, sure, I know, it tows fine; and has been doing so for several years. Head wind, hills, cruise control, all challenges on the Tundra when towing 68-70mph. It's all about torque. Chevy and GMC have a nice 6.2L option, but you don't get the same numbers going down the interstate as the Ecoboost. Thts why diesels work so good. The Ecoboost try's to work in a similar way by have a turbo system shove fuel in the motor at low RPM's; and it delivers. Who cares if your 1/2 ton says the max towing is 10000lbs or 11300lbs, you shouldn't be riding tht line with a 1/2 ton anyway. I'm sure some will disagree with me on some of the aforementioned items, but my next truck will be an Ecoboost. And, for those of you not ready to make the jump to a diesel, I think you'll find the Ford a great 1/2 ton for towing.
Sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost, tundra