Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #1

Electric Jack Lagging after rain storm

I have a electric jack on our 2013 V-Lite 30WFKSS travel trailer and this morning same thing happened as did this same time of year last year. There's no power to the jack. Checked the connections and all appears good. I attached the manual wrench and applied a couple of turns and theres power, but the motor is lagging. Took it into warranty center last year as still covered and they said jack was fine - battery was low. Well the battery has full charge. Now Saturday night we did have a rain storm come through. Maintenance wise is there something I should be doing as far as covering it while parked or etc???
k9craig032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you talking about the tongue jack?

Is it a Lippert/LCI brand name? If so, You can do a forum search for these and see where many members have had some problems with these (including moi).

Yes, a lot of people do cover the head of the electric tongue jacks to prevent water infiltration. It can be as simple as placing a bucket or big ziplock bag over it...up to a designated cover.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ck-cover/34822

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
NELA

We have the same issue on our 2014...IK (island kitchen) model.

It happens even when hooked up to the TV, so it's *NOT* a low battery situation. We tap it with a wrench and it takes off, then bogs down again. DH has taken it apart, checked all the connections...everything seems fine...no corrosion on the connectors, etc.

It's sitting out back with a support under the tongue, for fear it'll fail and drop the trailer.

....until we schedule a return to the dealer. I have *no* idea what brand jack we have, can't find a make or model on it anywhere.

In the meantime it sits there with a bucket over it and a huge cedar stump under the tongue.

I think we want to replace it with a Barker...even if they won't pay for it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If its an LCI, I agree that its probably giving up the ghost and should be replaced. They seem to fail a lot. Mine did within 6-months of owning my current trailer.

If you do end up replacing, the Barker VIP is good (as Weezer mentioned) but even they should be covered. I just replaced a switch on mine that went out and I think it was from water intrusion.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

Water intrusion...mine just did the same. Took it apart, cleaned, all good now. Covering it from now on..had water in it when I took it apart. Also drilled a small drain hole in it. Windjammer 30WTBS.
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
NELA

I was wondering this evening if ours will "heal" once the moisture dries out....*if* moisture is the problem.

It just corks my pistol that something *designed* for the outdoors isn't waterproof. If water is kryptonite for RV jacks you'd *think* they'd come with a warning and a cover if they aren't waterproofed.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

It just corks my pistol that something *designed* for the outdoors isn't waterproof.
Can't agree with you more, Weezer!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Thanks all for the suggestion Monday will tear down and see what we got. Thanks again/
k9craig032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric