Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Electrical problems - truck starter

I understand this isnít a repair forum, helping a co worker and hit a snag. I replaced his starter about 3 weeks ago ( solenoid was bad housing was cracked as well. Worked great for two weeks then while driving truck just died no electrical anywhere in truck. I go today to look wiggle the battery cables a little loose but I hear solenoid click. I crawl underneath wires close but not touching loosen them separate as far as can re hook cables get all electrical back turn key lose everything again. Check starter again reroute wires to increase spacing but donít think that was problem. Try again got power to everything turn key lose all electrical. Just disconnect and reconnect negative have power 12.8 volts to be exact. I turn key lose power again. Drop starter for at least 5th time test using battery box and screw driver appears to work fine. Only thing I can think of is short in starter. Any thoughts would be appreciated co worker canít afford mechanic so would really like to be able to figure out

moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #2

Bad battery? Have you checked the bat voltage when you turn on ignition?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Have you cleaned BOTH battery cable clamps? They can read fine voltage but then short out under load if not making good contact.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

Make sure battery connection are tight and clean.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Make sure the battery is good, clean, tight terminals (both ends). Also check and see if there is a missing/broken bond strap between the engine block and the frame.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Coach

I replaced a starter once and had a similar issue. The battery was grounded to the starter mounting bolt. I thought I had replaced it properly, but instead of the bolt being through the eye, I only pinched the eye to the mount. Restoring the ground properly fixed the problem for me.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #7

I can double check the battery but I did have jumper box on it New clamps and battery so no corsion but not going to eliminate those as options possible negative strap but I did by pass with the jumper box positive to battery and neg to alternator bolt
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #8

Opps forgot to say thanks for the advice
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #9

Starter

My Duramax had a similar starter problem. I was told at the time that the cable between battery and starter would degrade over time. Dealer tested the voltage at the starter during cranking. They checked it two days in a row and couldnít pin point it. 3rd day I dropped it off and it never cranked with oe starter again. Apparently it had a bad spot on the windings.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #10

I am following this. If you find the solution I would certainly like to hear it. My old gray mare did the exact same thing to me the other day. I called AAA assuming my battery had died and they came and checked it. The battery was good-fully charged and capable of maintaining a load. The terminals were good-clean and tight--and yet no power at all. I found out later that the radio had even been reset. AAA guy said "let me give it a boost just to say I did" and everything started working again and has been for the last several days. Would like to know what else I might need to look for when it happens again. Wish the battery had been bad so I wouldn't be wondering.

gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical