Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
I go RV'ing not Camping

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller and that is the only 1 I would use. Let me correct that I would also use a Prodigy P3, the reason I didn't get that model is it wouldn't fit in the cubby pocket of my truck. P2 fits perfect.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #22

Thanks for the tip DB! Will definitely consider upgrading to a full-size truck for one of the next vehicle purchases. We've had the trailblazer for about 8 years and it's been paid off for about 6 years. We never really talked about upgrading the vehicle and/or trailer in the past, but now that the kids are getting older and we are running out of space in our pop up, we will definitely be looking at larger vehicles and trailers :-)
NatureBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy22 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback, we ended up passing on this TT due to overweight and safety.

What's the consensus on towing a 21' Rockwood Roo hybrid with my TB? UVW is 2732.
Attachment 108935
Good choice for your TB, especially since you are experienced with popups.
Most hybrid owners are former popup owners.

Just inspect everything especially the bunk doors, the bunk door seals, the door frames and hinge areas for softness and rot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I towed my 19' toyhauler with a GMC Envoy. It was 4500# loaded (checked on a scale). I added a transmission cooler to keep fluid temperature down. The transmission fluid would run 160-180F while towing. The trailer was the max I would recommend to tow with that vehicle, both in weight and length. I towed at 60-65 mph. Any faster and cross winds from trucks would cause the trailer to sway (not uncontrollable, but an annoyance.)

If you add a transmission cooler and keep you trailer to ~19' it is very doable with a Trailblazer. I used a P3 brake controller which worked very good.
I have the same experience.

I towed my 2104S with a 2008 Trail Blazer I6. Unloaded, I was 3900 ish lbs. and about 4500 loaded. It handled fine although I added WDH, trans cooler, and upgraded the rear tires to XL and ran about 42 lbs while towing. The wheel base is fairly short, so I wouldn't pull anything longer than 23'. For reference...expect 8.5 mpg while towing and it doesn't like long inclines or speeds above 60.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Good choice for your TB, especially since you are experienced with popups.
Most hybrid owners are former popup owners.

Just inspect everything especially the bunk doors, the bunk door seals, the door frames and hinge areas for softness and rot.
thank you!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #26

Just a word in advance, I was getting around 14 mpg pulling our 2280BH popup with the TB. That turned into low 8's when we hooked that parachute up to the back. Moving to the Tahoe with nearly double the tow rating didn't fix that, lol. Same trailer, more truck...same mileage.

Based on my experience with it though, as long as you keep it under 4000 lbs dry, less than 23' long, and install trans cooler, brake controller, and the right hitch / sway control, you should be fine with whatever you decide on. And the heavier tires, while not necessary, helped immensely.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Just a word in advance, I was getting around 14 mpg pulling our 2280BH popup with the TB. That turned into low 8's when we hooked that parachute up to the back. Moving to the Tahoe with nearly double the tow rating didn't fix that, lol. Same trailer, more truck...same mileage.

Based on my experience with it though, as long as you keep it under 4000 lbs dry, less than 23' long, and install trans cooler, brake controller, and the right hitch / sway control, you should be fine with whatever you decide on. And the heavier tires, while not necessary, helped immensely.
Let's (hypothetically) say I purchase the hybrid tonight, and I am unable to get the trans cooler before Memorial weekend, but instead get a trans flush... will that suffice for a 168 mile trip? That's a one-way total; 336 round trip.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
edt

Angry

I had a trail blazer and a heavy big Colman pop up I thought the short wheel base did not make a good tow vehicle
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Let's (hypothetically) say I purchase the hybrid tonight, and I am unable to get the trans cooler before Memorial weekend, but instead get a trans flush... will that suffice for a 168 mile trip? That's a one-way total; 336 round trip.
That's a tough call. I personally wouldn't do it. I'd limit it to about 50 miles one way. The tow package on those only consists of the receiver hitch and wiring. The radiator is the only thing cooling the transmission and it's not that big. A lot of it would have to do with outside temperature and the type of terrain you're pulling through. That wind drag takes a toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
I had a trail blazer and a heavy big Colman pop up I thought the short wheel base did not make a good tow vehicle
That's the downside to it. The stiffer rear tires and the right hitch and sway made it doable on my Mini Lite, but it blew the whole rig around when a big truck passed me. No sway, but the whole thing moved over.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #30

Listen to him. It's not the pulling power, it's the short wheel base instability that he is referring to. Short wheel base TV's can get whipped around very quickly in wind and semi wind wash.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #31

Absolutely. Like I said, I wouldn't even attempt more than 21 - 23' overall with it.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
I personally think you'll be fine as long as you take it easy.

If you do get it make sure you have the WD/Anti Sway hitch set up correctly. Just take your time getting it set up and you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #33
Site Team

If you are must tow this weekend, I would try to travel when it is cooler outside, avoid hills, stop and go and go slow. I know that is asking a lot especially this weekend. Also try to limit your maneuvering when getting into your spot as that puts a huge strain on the trans. Do not assume that because it did not bow up that everything is OK. Usually trans damage due to overheating is a cumulative effect. I would not waste my money on trans flush. It will accomplish very little.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #34

I had a 2003 TB LTZ I6 4x4, we had received a popup and was not bad towing just noisy. following yr got a P3 brake controller along with a Roo 21, actually 17.5 plus the tongue. Used a harbor freight/curt WDH with add on sway to bring it home about 40 miles. No real problems with that setup, but upgraded to a Blue Ox. Drove 300 miles and had no problems. On the way home went over a 1.37 mile 2 lane bridge with no shoulders that goes to 140' high. It wasn't as bad on the bridge as I thought it would be.

Although I would still have the TB I got tired of putting in parts and got a Expy, will have to see how that works together.
c3prret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
DON'T tow a 27' TT with a Trailblazer!

PLEASE research before you purchase the trailer.
TBS are notorious for being squirrely, due to their short wheelbase.
That's TOO much trailer for a Trailblazer.

Please post year/make/model of trailer so we can help you not to make a big mistake.
X2!
A Trail Blazer is rated at 5K? give or take?
Get REAL Truck and you'll be fine.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #36

Quote:
If your hitch is properly set up and brake controller installed I'd go for it. I'd probably take a 30 minute break at the 1/2 way point and would try to stay on mostly level roads. Forget the flush it may cause problems instead of helping. Go slow andhave fun.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes