Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Electronic Brake Control - Help Needed

Hello,
I'm a newb here on the forum, so my apologies ahead of time if this question has already come up (I searched for it, and didn't see any results).

My wife and I are on the cusp of upgrading from a pop-up (which we have outgrown), to a gently used 27 foot Rockwood travel trailer. The seller recommended installing an electronic brake control system on my Trailblazer; I have been researching various systems online, reading reviews, etc, and now looking for your feedback as far as what is good or bad, cheap vs long lasting, etc.

This is obviously something that is very important to keep my family safe, so I don't want to go the cheap route. But again, I don't know if lower cost = lower quality with this type of part.

Trailer Brake Control at AutoZone.com - Best Trailer Brake Control Products for Cars, Trucks & SUVs
__________________

__________________
NatureBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 3,307
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195...ake+controller
__________________

__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Old Camping Squid
 
Eagle-751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 101
I personally love my Tekonsha P3, I have no problems with it. I tow a 33 foot Forest River Salem with my F150 and could not ask for a better brake controller.
Good luck with what ever you do get.
__________________
2006 F150 Supercab 5.4 Flex Fuel
2006 BRP Outlander XT
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,296
DON'T tow a 27' TT with a Trailblazer!

PLEASE research before you purchase the trailer.
TBS are notorious for being squirrely, due to their short wheelbase.
That's TOO much trailer for a Trailblazer.

Please post year/make/model of trailer so we can help you not to make a big mistake.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
DON'T tow a 27' TT with a Trailblazer!

PLEASE research before you purchase the trailer.
TBS are notorious for being squirrely, due to their short wheelbase.
That's TOO much trailer for a Trailblazer.

Please post year/make/model of trailer so we can help you not to make a big mistake.
Trailblazer is a 2006 4x4, the owners manual tells me the towing capacity is 5200lbs.

Trailer is a 2003 Rockwood, model number M-8278. (Link below says 29', however the seller is adamant it is 27'). I asked him to measure it, he'll be getting back to me.

2003 Rockwood M-8278 Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides
__________________
NatureBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 594
Guananteed you WILL BE OVERWEIGHT. By how much is the question. It is 4800 pounds dry that means no water, luggage, food, maybe propane, maybe battery, WDH, and changes the previous owner made but by time you add anything you are over 5200 no matter how hard you try to keep the weight down. I'm not saying you can't tow it but I am saying you WILL be overweight by a lot befor you even load it up.
__________________
2016 Flagstaff 23lb
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Guananteed you WILL BE OVERWEIGHT. By how much is the question. It is 4800 pounds dry that means no water, luggage, food, maybe propane, maybe battery, WDH, and changes the previous owner made but by time you add anything you are over 5200 no matter how hard you try to keep the weight down. I'm not saying you can't tow it but I am saying you WILL be overweight by a lot befor you even load it up.
The weight has been my concern ever since we laid eyes on the trailer. It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. When a trailer sticker inducates that the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) is X pounds, does that include any aftermarket things such as appliances, air conditioner…? The UVW of this particular model is 4810 lbs
__________________
NatureBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464125521.658017.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	108886
__________________
NatureBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy22 View Post
Trailblazer is a 2006 4x4, the owners manual tells me the towing capacity is 5200lbs.

Trailer is a 2003 Rockwood, model number M-8278. (Link below says 29', however the seller is adamant it is 27'). I asked him to measure it, he'll be getting back to me.

2003 Rockwood M-8278 Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides

I agree with the others your trailblazer is not up to the task . i've owned trailblazers a 2006 myself and no way will it handle well with the unit you are thinking about . to much TT for your TV . you'll be way over weight and the TB can not handle the TG weight
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy22 View Post
The weight has been my concern ever since we laid eyes on the trailer. It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. When a trailer sticker inducates that the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) is X pounds, does that include any aftermarket things such as appliances, air conditioner…? The UVW of this particular model is 4810 lbs
That mean as it came of the factory floor. If it had a/c from the factory it would include that. If it was added after purchase it would not include it. It also most likely would not include the propane and tanks or anything else. If it says 4810 from the factory add several hundred pounds of gear like pots pans chairs patio rug etc. etc. and you are over 5500 easy. You tv rating also is not really 5200 pounds unless the truck is empty. By time you add people pets gas and gear in the truck then you are even farther over.
My UVW is 3800 and loaded not too heavy and not too light is 4300 roughly. 500 pounds with food and gear is easy to reach.
__________________

__________________
2016 Flagstaff 23lb
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake control, brakes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.