Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davepasch View Post
Not sure if it's a good idea to have tow/haul, engine brake, exhaust brake in use with the cruise control on.
These engines are designed to be used with tow/haul, exhaust brake, and the cruise control on, at least the Cummins is. In the newer trucks for Ram from 2013.5 and up, when the two speed exhaust brake was introduced by them. The brake was advertised to maintain the truck at the set road speed as you go down hill with everything engaged. This was from the engineer who designed the system at the "TDR" rally held in Columbus IN at the Cummins plant. The other set point is for more aggressive braking when required.
This was all tested to the SAE J2807 standard.

I run my truck this way since new in 2008, I now have 106,000+ miles on the OD. If you do not run the exhaust brake on these trucks you will have emission issues and check engine lights all day long.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #22

All the time when towing. Love my engine brake.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
About to take my first long trip with 2017 Ford Super Duty Diesel and 2017 Cedar Creek 5th wheel. One question I have seen discussed here in the past. Do most people drive with engine brake on all the time or only when in the hilly areas or mountains. Any suggestion or advice is welcomed. Experience speaks loudly to me. Thanks.
I used to when I first started towing my th, but I only use it in the mountains now. I used it on 130 from GA to NC on some crazy hills. The exhaust brake coupled with the hill descent work well together.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
These engines are designed to be used with tow/haul, exhaust brake, and the cruise control on, at least the Cummins is. In the newer trucks for Ram from 2013.5 and up, when the two speed exhaust brake was introduced by them. The brake was advertised to maintain the truck at the set road speed as you go down hill with everything engaged. This was from the engineer who designed the system at the "TDR" rally held in Columbus IN at the Cummins plant. The other set point is for more aggressive braking when required.
This was all tested to the SAE J2807 standard.

I run my truck this way since new in 2008, I now have 106,000+ miles on the OD. If you do not run the exhaust brake on these trucks you will have emission issues and check engine lights all day long.
I hear ya, all the newer trucks are designed to pull weight and use the engine brakes, the turbo fins on the ford and GM...etc are to be used to flex them....stop using them and putt around town for long periods( idle and baby) and the turbo's don't perform like they are suppose to. It takes a long time but eventually they will not perform to high standards and you will have check light issues, you are exactly right.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford