Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #21

Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis6616 View Post
Relative to what oil to use, I exclusively use Amsoil Diesel 5-40 weight, full synthetic. Been using Amsoil products for years in everything I own that has an engine. The new Amsoil Signature Diesel oil is advertised as being 6 times better than the new diesel oil standard (new standard is about a year old). I'm not an Amsoil dealer, so I don't have a "financial dog in this hunt." I buy directly from Amsoil and the oil arrives in not more than 48 hours from the time I order it. I change the oil in my Ford 6.7 diesel every 10K miles due to potential dilution issues. Amsoil recommends the same. I run the oil in all my other 3 vehicles for 25K miles or for 1 year, whichever comes first (the one year always comes first!).
Concerning Ford not honoring the warranty if you use something else except their oil. They might try that, but the U.S. supreme Count (yes it went that high) ruled that a manufacturer would have to PROVE that the oil used instead of the "required" oil caused the damage to the engine. Otherwise they must honor the guarantee. Same for all manufacturers. Amsoil has quite a discussion of this on their website--very worth checking out, whether or not use buy their products.
I run Amsoil in everything with a motor myself. I use it in my Duramax and order it for a friends 17’ 6.7 powerstroke.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I have a quart of oil in my cars truck. About 30 years old and probably doesn't meet current spec. In my younger uninformed days I felt it made sense in case of need. Never added oil in any of my gas engines. Did the same with my Duramax. Now on my third one and have never added oil.
As one poster said Ford changed the specs. a couple of years ago because they felt that current spec did not have enough Phosphorus and was causing accelerated wear.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #23

Oil wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If oil threads and cat videos were banned from the internet, it would reduce traffic by 50%.
I like cat videos. Oil battles are like cat fights. Hard to change anyones mind
I KNOW I’m right. ����
Don’t confuse me with facts. ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If oil threads and cat videos were banned from the internet, it would reduce traffic by 50%.
That is no lie! LOL
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
I run Amsoil in everything with a motor myself. I use it in my Duramax and order it for a friends 17’ 6.7 powerstroke.
Amsoil blends some good stuff. I never could justify the cost even with preferred customer pricing. But then I go thru about 2 drums of HDEO for my diesels a year. I get what I use for my diesels from Schaeffer. Shipped free to my front door along with a 3% commercial discount. They have been blending up lubricants longer than anyone else in N. America, since 1839, and developed the lubes for many high end applications like the Abrams M1 Tank and the Apache Attack Helicopter. And a few years back, they were listed in the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in America.

But Amsoil makes some niche products I use. I also use some Mobil for some applications, Chevron for others, and some Shell stuff in other applications. I am not specifically brand loyal to any one oil company. I get what offers me the best bang for my buck and the protection I need.

Keep in mind, Amsoil gets the majority of its Group IV PAO synthetic base oil from Mobil And all the stuff you see from them or anyone else is a blended product of base oils from various sources and additive packages from Infineum, Lubrizol, etc.

What it all comes down to is using a product that helps you sleep well at night and doesn't make your wallet scream for mercy.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #26

Because of how they sell it, I will never buy Scamsoil.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Because of how they sell it, I will never buy Scamsoil.
What is different about how they sell than anyone else? If you buy from a parts store, wally world, farm and home store, whatever, you are paying downline mark up just like Amsoil's products. No one is buying direct from the lube maker without going thru a retailer, distributor, or rep.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
What is different about how they sell than anyone else? If you buy from a parts store, wally world, farm and home store, whatever, you are paying downline mark up just like Amsoil's products. No one is buying direct from the lube maker without going thru a retailer, distributor, or rep.
I hope you aren't serious. WalMart?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #29

here is a you tube video that might shed some light on the Ford spec oil for diesel engines.
DR.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #30

Diesel Engine Oil

What I did not see anyone discuss is checking the oil for its Specification.

Look on the back....you will see a circle with some sets of 2 letters....like SJ, SK, SL ....or CG, CG-4, CH, etc.

The "S" stands for SPARK ignition - as in an engine with spark pulgs. Gasoline engines.

The "C" stands for Compression ignition...as in diesel. [NOTE - I haven't seen 10W-30 oil that has a C series designation...only S series.]

Your car or truck will specify a minimum rating...like SJ - and a newer/better oil might list as SJ, SL, SM ....and you can use a higher rated oil for an older engine.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #31
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Really?? When my 2012 6.7 blew up the dealer asked no questions. It had a Ford warranty and they replaced the engine with a new Ford crate engine, no questions asked.
Watch the video in post #29. It will help you understand the problem didn't arise until more recent when the specs changed & went from CJ to CK. Some of the CK oils Ford did not approve to be used in a Powerstroke.
And after that video I'd also recommend this one for further info.
https://youtu.be/aEb0hX5BEuQ
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #32

engine oil

So why not get it from your Ford dealer?

2018 Ford F250 powerstroke
2019 CC Silverback 29IK
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
Hello all. I have decided that I would like to carry 2 to 4 qts of oil with me when i am traveling with my truck, towing and non-towing. I am having trouble finding oil anywhere except the Ford dealer. The oil that they are using at the dealer when I get my oil changed is 10W30 synthetic blend. My question is what do all you guys use. Some of the parts stores and or Walmart, I think, would have some brand of oil I can use. Alas, I can't find it and the "help" is no help. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Mobil Delvac is what I chose to use in my Generator,,,
You can find it @ Wally World,,, right next to the Rotella !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
Your concern to ensure you put the right oil in your Ford 6.7 diesel is well-founded. Diesel engines require different oil properties than gas engine oils and Ford is putting on additional requirements for its diesel engines. You can’t put just any oil in your truck. A while back, Ford cautioned Ford 6.7 diesel owners to use only oils that meet the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 standard. Luckily, there are a lot of oils that meet this standard. I use Rotella T6 Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 oil in my truck, which is one oil that meets Ford's standard and is readily available.

When searching the Internet for answers, you'll find old out-of-date information along with current advice. If you are going to pick out an oil, check the manufacturer's site for its current compliance with the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 standard. Old articles and postings may no longer be accurate.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KvZ6xOLfGBRet5

I found the above link but I haven't independently checked out the various oils for accuracy. If you find an oil you are interested in, check the manufacturer's web site for confirmation.
X most or all of this^^

Use an OEM or better rated oil and you will be fine. As I stated before... OEM spends millions developing an engine and know what will work best....with rare exception.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #35

oil

Rotella 15-40 t5....best oil i found..
Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
Rotella 15-40 t5....best oil i found..
You run that in a 6.7 Powerstroke?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #37

Yeah, that CK-4 scare was all a bunch of over reacting by Ford when CK-4 first rolled out. Got all the Ford owners all worked up over nothing. The approved oils list by Ford has several 15w40, 15w40, and 10w30 CK-4 oils on the list. Schaeffer, the brand I primarily use has both 15w40 and 10w30 CK-4 oils on the list. 3 full pages of 10w30 oils on the list.

Here is the list as of August 2018. The majority of oils on the list are CK-4 oils. Paranoia can be a terrible thing to live with.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf
Old 11-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #38

Powerstroke Oil

I use shell rotella t5 10w40 in my 2013 ford 6.7 powerstroke. I keep an extra gallon in the truck. I get it at Walmart. Hsve over 75,000 miles with on problems towing g a TT with a weight of 10,500lbs all the time. Great oil.
mchiarani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #39

SAE 5W-30

I know you’re asking about a 2016 model, but my 2017 requires Motocraft SAE 5W-30 premium synthetic blend, according to the owners manual, not 10W-30. I’d check your manual.
skydansir533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydansir533 View Post
I know you’re asking about a 2016 model, but my 2017 requires Motocraft SAE 5W-30 premium synthetic blend, according to the owners manual, not 10W-30. I’d check your manual.
There is no appreciable difference between 5w30 and 10w30. Both are 30 weight oils. The only difference is the cold flow rating. The key is how cold the oil will flow and not break the 6000 cSt maximum rating. For 5w30 that is -30c / -22F and for 10w30 that is -25c / -13F. Keep in mind, the number in front of the "w" is a cold flow rating, not a oil weight number.

There is not a dealer or OEM on the planet that can tell the difference between 5w30 and a 10w30 from a used oil sample.

And the OEM cannot "require" you to use a particular oil unless they provide it free of charge. All they can do is make recommendations.

Tags
diesel, f350, ford